• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cedeno

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seem to be an increasing number of hints that Cedeno won't be back next season. I've read suggestions that he may not be a "Hurdle-type" player, and that the Pirates are growing weary of his lapses. His two errors in yesterday's game, added to his recent fielding woes, seem to be reinforcing the notion that Ronny is unlikely to have the capability to maintain focus over the long haul.

Adding to my perception are Hurdle's frequent positive comments about Ciriaco, such as this from the current "Pirates Notebook" in the P-G.....

The Pirates recalled infielder Pedro Ciriaco from Indianapolis Sunday. It was the sixth time Ciriaco has been recalled this season.

"Every time he's gone down, he's gone down with intent, with focus, with specific attention to detail," Hurdle said. "And every time he's come back, he's been a little bit better."

.....and the Pirates' insistence on keeping D'Arnaud on the roster when he doesn't seem ready for major league competition. At the same time, Wood's lack of playing time suggests that the Pirates and/or Hurdle aren't too high on him as a possible starting SS.

At any rate, I think Ronny's time is running out..... that he will be dealt or dumped. I expect to see Ciriaco, D'Arnaud, possibly Wood, and some as-yet-to-be-acquired player fighting it out to be the Pirates' 2012 SS.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, Ronny has significant focus problems, but he has proven to be a much better option than anyone they currently have, and I doubt there is anyone on the free agent market who is an upgrade.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, Ronny has significant focus problems, but he has proven to be a much better option than anyone they currently have, and I doubt there is anyone on the free agent market who is an upgrade.

Don't you think they should at least look for another option?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you think they should at least look for another option?

Sure, they should always look, but having Cedeno signed for next year wouldn't preclude them from looking.

From MLBtraderumors.

Shortstops
Clint Barmes (33)
Yuniesky Betancourt (30) - $6MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Orlando Cabrera (37)
Jamey Carroll (37)
Ronny Cedeno (29) - $3MM club option with a $200K buyout
Craig Counsell (41)
Rafael Furcal (34) - $12MM club option with a $1.3MM buyout
Alex Gonzalez (34)
Jerry Hairston Jr. (36)
Omar Infante (30)
Cesar Izturis (32)
John McDonald (37)
Nick Punto (34)
Edgar Renteria (35)
Jose Reyes (29)
Jimmy Rollins (33)
Ramon Santiago (32)
Marco Scutaro (36) - $6MM club option/$3MM player option with a $1.5MM buyout
Miguel Tejada (38)
Jack Wilson (34)

Besides Reyes/Rollins, there really isn't anyone on that list that stands out. If I had to pick a low cost/high quality signing I'd go with Barmes, but he isn't a guy I want starting 150 games.

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Element's list clarifies things a bit about Cedeno. Aside from Reyes and Rollins, who's that much better than Cedeno? Sure, he's a bit of a head case (focus), but he's younger than most of the available shortstops, hits fairly well (for a SS), and is a competent fielder when he's focused. On top of that, D'Arnaud isn't anywhere near ready for the majors, and Ciricao can't hit his weight. Unless the Pirates can get Reyes or Rollins (fat chance), I'd stick with Cedeno for at least another year.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary to think none of those three are an upgrade over Cedeno. Along with the bunch that is out there on the FA wire (not counting Reyes and Rollins).

We had this discussing on ESPN and I think it was (Element or Gahran-Illinest?) who mentioned Jed Lowrie but this was well prior to this season and when Scutaro had the job. That ship has passed now that he will probably have a full time job in Boston next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
cedeno was fielding great until the concussion and extended DL stay. i think he was actually second to tulowitzki in many categories defensively.
last year he seemed to have a bit more pop in his bat, but he has been more consistent this year and really only had one terrible month of may at he plate as well as his injury month of july.
he doesnt walk but has been more patient at the plate and some nice key rbis when we were rolling before the fall.
we dont want to bring in an older guy.
dont spend on lee, ludwick, maholm, doumit, snyder and put it toward reyes with our outfield and walker, we just need some average platoons at the other 3 spots.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much the only way they get Reyes is if they sign him to a deal in which he can't think about about team/city/etc, just like the Nats did with Werth. That deal would be over 100 million, and span the better part of a decade, not sure if they are really in position to make that kind of signing.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary to think none of those three are an upgrade over Cedeno. Along with the bunch that is out there on the FA wire (not counting Reyes and Rollins).

We had this discussing on ESPN and I think it was (Element or Gahran-Illinest?) who mentioned Jed Lowrie but this was well prior to this season and when Scutaro had the job. That ship has passed now that he will probably have a full time job in Boston next year.

I don't think Lowrie was ever actually on the block, the Red Sox are run too well to let a talent like him go to play Scutaro, but it was fun to talk about.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would kill to have 27 year old Jack Wilson again at this point. I don't even care if he can hit any more. I just want someone who can field the ball.