• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carolina Panthers we under estimating them?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I've sort of have it put down as a win in my mind. However it was a tough win there last year.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference from last year is that DangeRuss isn't a rook in his 1st NFL start.
We may lack pass rush the 1st few games, but I think our D will be up to the task again.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"So, I've got my kid tickets to the Carolina Panthers season opener against the Hawks. I gotta tell you, I think that is going to be a tough game for Seattle, much tougher than you would expect. I still think that Seattle will start the season 1-0, but I think that game is going to be a nail biter.

Don't like starting the season for Seattle on the East Coast, and immediately with a 1:00 p.m. start time...

I think Seattle wins it 20-17, but it's a tough football game."

This was a post from Cakes. I'd like to hear his thoughts on why this will be a nail bitter.

France_Steve

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My prediction for this one:
Close low scoring game. I think we win 20-10, maybe after trailing. We score a td with time left to take a ten point lead, get the ball back and kill the game with a long drive. I think both teams will be relying on a running attack making for a low scoring game.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all of the 10 am road starts, I am glad one of them is to be the first game. It doesn't matter which team, I am glad the 1st game of the year is an early start.
You can plan for that better than if you played a game that counted the week before.

As with France, I see a lower scoring affair. 20-10 sounds about right.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they pose too much trouble for you, you should be worried. Wilson is twice the player newton is and has more of a surrounding cast. The panthers just aren't good.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers are an interesting team. I say that because I feel like on paper they have the talent level of a 10 win team yet they massively under perform. We may play the same old Panthers or we may get the team that shows the talent they have on that roster.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went and checked the early vegas line: -3.5 for Seattle at time of posting, with a 45.5 O/U. Looks like Vegas priced in the Irvin suspension, because I thought the spread would be higher. He gave us fits last year - 2 sacks and another TFL.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's kind of crappy that a West Coast team has to travel across Country in Week 1, and then on top of it, play at 1:00 est. That is a double whammy.

Seattle is clearly the better team, however, I think the Panthers are going to sneak up on some folks this year. They were actually much better down the stretch last season after they backed off the Read/Option with Newton. He got better, and so did the team.

The Achilles heal in Carolina was it's woeful defensive front 7, and the addition of Kuechly last season, and now Star this year, should make them considerably better in that area.

I like Seattle getting a win... but it's not lock in my mind.. at all...

and If I was a betting man... I wouldn't touch this game with a 10 foot pole.

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we should underestimate any NFL team. I thought we had the Miami game, the Cleveland game we should beat them, and losing to the Cardinals week 1. Any NFL team can surprise you if you don't bring in your A Game,

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the second game being against the 49ers, I do worry a bit about this game being over looked and not bring our A game.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners game is a big game the following week, sure, but the opener is a pretty big game too. If the Panthers win that game, it'll be because they're better than everybody thought they'd be, not because the Seahawks took them for granted.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good first test. Seahawks on paper should win this as long as they don't sleep walk throughout the game. I honestly don't think they'll underestimate the Panthers because they'll have 4 weeks of preseason games to get ready for week 1.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any time you have to go to the east coast there's a chance at a let down. Having to open on the east coast with SF looming the following week is a trap game of sorts. I know people don't believe in them, but just saying that's what you'd call this if you did.

They all need to stay focused and take every game as vital and this one won't be any different. Seattle should win, but it wouldn't be a stunning upset if they lost given the circumstances.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Carolina/SF games were flipped, then i'd be concerned of a let down or trap game. I'll be a little ticked if they lose this with the amount of time and preparation to get ready for the opener.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad that Winfield will be in the secondary that game.
Dude is crafty and might serve to pen Newton back behind the LOS a little.
I think the Newton/Wilson show will be my main focus.
Saw a video of a couple of retired ballers saying they would choose Newton over Wilson for a hypothetical franchise...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so glad that Winfield will be in the secondary that game.
Dude is crafty and might serve to pen Newton back behind the LOS a little.
I think the Newton/Wilson show will be my main focus.
Saw a video of a couple of retired ballers saying they would choose Newton over Wilson for a hypothetical franchise...

My guess as to the reason for that is Newton's size. He's taller, for one, which analysts are always gonna harp on with Wilson, even though a lot of them admitted after last season that it wasn't really an issue. Old habits die hard I guess. Newton is also bulkier than Wilson and those guys probably suggested that Newton's size makes him a better candidate to run the type of offense that he, Wilson, Kaepernick and RGIII run, because he can take more body blows than Wilson can.

Am I close?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at some of concerns you guys have shown, they are legitimate. If you play sloppy and lose, maybe they had an impact. If you play solid and get outplayed, I would temper my expectations for the year a bit.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess as to the reason for that is Newton's size. He's taller, for one, which analysts are always gonna harp on with Wilson, even though a lot of them admitted after last season that it wasn't really an issue. Old habits die hard I guess. Newton is also bulkier than Wilson and those guys probably suggested that Newton's size makes him a better candidate to run the type of offense that he, Wilson, Kaepernick and RGIII run, because he can take more body blows than Wilson can.

Am I close?

As great as Newton is when it comes to height,running,throwing and overall talent which to me could be top ten talent I would still be worried about having him leading my team because of what happens when he throws an int.:gaah: To me he can't let it go and when things start to go down hill he's not the guy to say I going to change things or count on me guys. Its reminds me a lot of Vince young and Im not sure that's something you can fix. Things Wilson has seemed to do from the very beginning, where after the Arz lose he was already game filming the next opp for his Wr on the plane ride back it memory is correct. (mind you I don't follow the panthers, just from what Ive seen of newton from clips/game against sea.)

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As great as Newton is when it comes to height,running,throwing and overall talent which to me could be top ten talent I would still be worried about having him leading my team because of what happens when he throws an int.:gaah: To me he can't let it go and when things start to go down hill he's not the guy to say I going to change things or count on me guys. Its reminds me a lot of Vince young and Im not sure that's something you can fix. Things Wilson has seemed to do from the very beginning, where after the Arz lose he was already game filming the next opp for his Wr on the plane ride back it memory is correct. (mind you I don't follow the panthers, just from what Ive seen of newton from clips/game against sea.)

Newton certainly did gain a reputation nationally for being a bit pouty when things weren't going well. Whether that's an accurate assessment or whether the media just took certain things about his demeanor on the sidelines and ran with it remains to be seen, but I don't think you'll ever see the same things be said about Wilson. He's got a pretty good poker face and you couldn't tell by looking at him what he was feeling at any given time.