• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Canucks roster approved by the league

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://communities.canada.com/thepr.../10/06/canucks-roster-approved-by-league.aspx
By Botchford Wed, Oct 6 2010 COMMENTS(0) The White Towel

Filed under: canucks salary cap

Months of planning, and weeks of number crunching, culminated Wednesday when the NHL approved the Canucks season- opening roster which was filed at noon.

For Canucks fans, there hasn't been much fun in trying to figure out what the brain-straining decisions the Canucks made this week. There was nothing simple about it, nothing seemed clear cut nor concrete.

To get cap compliant, Vancouver sent two players who made its team, Cory Schneider and Alex Bolduc, to Manitoba. They recalled a player who didn't in Lee Sweat and kept both Eddie Lack and Cody Hodgson — to make use of their combined $1,110,000 bonus cushion. But Sweatt, Hodgson and Lack will trade places with Bolduc and Schneider in Manitoba by Saturday.

It was done in an attempt to construct a roster which "provides maximum cap flexibility." To get it, Vancouver had to be as close to their cap ceiling of $59.31 million as possible.

"Laurence has done a great job since he arrived here and this was a case in point," Mike Gillis said. "It was not as easy as some people would like to think. It took a lot of patience and a lot of effort and a complete knowledge of the CBA to do it effectively."

In order to maximize their flexibility, the Canucks needed to get one of Alex Burrows or Sami Salo on the active roster. The player who was on will now be moved to in-season long term injury reserve. It will allow enough relief over the cap to sign Peter Schaefer by Saturday.

The player who was off, was placed on off-season long-term injury and his salary was not included in the calculations which got the Canucks under 59.31 million. That cap number is the league's ceiling, $59.4 million, less the overage bonus of $90,000 from last year which was paid out to Mason Raymond.

"There were were so many variables that went into what happened," Gilman said. "Not the least of which was the competition in camp. There were trades, there were injuries.

"What happened (yesterday) was a culmination of all those factors. The intriguing part of it, the emergency room like part of it was conducted with the trades which were done in the last few days. All that stuff factored into it.

"We were able to satisfy that which was born out of the competition in our camp. That was the cool part of it."

Saturday Night Roster

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Mikael Samuelsson
Mason Raymond - Ryan Kesler - Raffi Torres
Jannik Hansen - Manny Malhotra - Peter Schaefer*
Guillaume Desbiens - Alexandre Bolduc - Tanner Glass*

Dan Hamhuis - Kevin Bieksa
Alexander Edler - Christian Ehrhoff
Keith Ballard - Andrew Alberts
Aaron Rome

Luongo
Schneider

*Schaefer will be signed Thursday or Friday
*Glass will only play if healthy we may see Tambi.
*Salo will also be on the active roster and then be placed on LTIR after the game I believe

Last edited by a moderator:

merlynbc

Go Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
*Salo will also be on the active roster and then be placed on LTIR after the game I believe

I thought that could happen after season start. i.e. today. My understanding was that the fact the Canucks have 3 days grace after the start of the season until they begin play, gives them the chance to make the moves they need for Saturday's opener. I may be wrong, but that is what I understood.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought was well... but it does make sense that it's meant for injuries sustained in actual play.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought was well... but it does make sense that it's meant for injuries sustained in actual play.

If I remember correctly they had Mathieu Schneider on the roster opening night last year and waited to put him on LTI

and about the bold ... theyve really got to tighten up the language for the next cba or make changes to this issue ... dont get me wrong it benefits the canucks right now

to my mind the cap ramifications of long term injury should be the same whether it happened in season or out of season

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Vancouver Canucks

Andrew Alberts, Keith Ballard, Kevin Bieksa, Guillaume Desbiens, Alexander Edler, Christian Ehrhoff, Tanner Glass, Dan Hamhuis, Jannik Hansen, Cody Hodgson, Ryan Kesler, Eddie Lack, Roberto Luongo, Manny Malhotra, Ryan Parent, Mason Raymond, Aaron Rome, Rick Rypien, Mikael Samuelsson, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Lee Sweatt, Raffi Torres.

Injured: Alex Burrows, Sami Salo.

---------------------------------------
and everyone else.
New Jersey's looks a bit light

NHL releases team rosters for start of 2010-11 season

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
They are likely playing the same game the 'Nucks are. Their opening night roster may be substantially different than that listed in the link above.

yes, they have a couple of guys that they can/will drop on IR from the opening roster as well.
I guess we could have had a 20 or 21 man roster too to get under the cap, but the exercise was to get as close to the cap ceiling as possible, to maximize the LTIR credits.

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
according to CapGeek , we made it under the cap by $44, 516.
devils were $35,448 under, with a 20 man roster.