• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can the Sox win the Central next year?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This question has been posed in the linked article:

Could The White Sox Win The AL Central Division in 2019?

It doesn't get giddy and in fact pretty much discounts the possibility. But stranger things have happened and there have been crazier season-season turnarounds over the years. If that question was posed prior to the start of this one, I might have chipped in with a positive response. But as it stands now, I'm thinking 2020 is the first year we start making some real noise.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why not, the Twins are pretenders, the Royals and Tigers are gonna suck again for a while and the Indians are probably gonna lose a few guys. I still think the Indians are the team to beat in 2019 but the Sox should get closer.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything would have to work almost perfectly for this to happen. jimenez would need to be rookie of the year, abreu comeback player of the year, rodon finally live up to what we thought his potential was and win 20, we'd need two other 15 game winners, career years from moncada and anderson, garcia stay injury-free (this really includes the whole team), davidson hit 40/100, engle hit .270 and develop or trade for a legit closer. if these things happen they could win the central and maybe everything.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with id. I mean, anything's possible, hell it's why we all get so excited in the Spring. But an awful lot would have to go right for us and subsequently an awful lot would have to go wrong with the Indians in particular for us to take the Central. I'm still leaning toward 2020 when we begin to bust a serious move, but I know come next Spring, I will be amongst the White Sox faithful hoping that it could be a good year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything would have to work almost perfectly for this to happen. jimenez would need to be rookie of the year, abreu comeback player of the year, rodon finally live up to what we thought his potential was and win 20, we'd need two other 15 game winners, career years from moncada and anderson, garcia stay injury-free (this really includes the whole team), davidson hit 40/100, engle hit .270 and develop or trade for a legit closer. if these things happen they could win the central and maybe everything.

Rodon has been damn good. 2.94 ERA as it stands. I know he needs to prove the health aspect of it. Abreu is back on track for numbers fairly normal to his career. Been very good thus far in the 2nd half. Not sure he'll be viewed as a "CPOY" candidate with 25+ HR's and 90+ RBI's.

I think you're also discounting that the team will definitely have a few additions. Engel and probably Davidson as well have no place on this team.

I would say the biggest thing is Yoan/Anderson and the pitching actually coming together. Giolito has noticeably improved, but now Lopez has backtracked a little. Would be very refreshing if Kopech actually came up and didn't make our stomach churn for a year or two like every other top pitching prospect we've had...

BTW... we'd better trade Shields. The guy ACTUALLY has value and a chance to reimburse us for shelling out Tatis for him. Hope we take advantage of that.

I don't know what third base looks like next year. I don't know what CF looks like next year. Would be stunned if it's Engel. He's a placeholder. Hahn knows it's time to put up a respectable season or shutup next year. Not trot out Adam Engel every day.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with id. I mean, anything's possible, hell it's why we all get so excited in the Spring. But an awful lot would have to go right for us and subsequently an awful lot would have to go wrong with the Indians in particular for us to take the Central. I'm still leaning toward 2020 when we begin to bust a serious move, but I know come next Spring, I will be amongst the White Sox faithful hoping that it could be a good year.

Yeah, it depends on what we do in the off-season as well.

I think we're a better team and finally start to flash SOME signs of life. Winning the central is a huge leap, though.

Good news is... MIN/DET/KC are all basically now where we were a year or two ago. Just starting a rebuild. Cleveland could have their arrow pointing down soon. There could be a window opening... but we'll see.

I think we all can agree that we're not as optimistic about 2019 as we were a year ago at this time. 2020 seems to be the realistic contending point now, if things fall into place - that is.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#NoPitching
I think the better response would be #NoConsistentPitching - we've had some quality starts from most of our staff, and I'd say Rodon and Giolito have been fairly consistent of late, Rodon in particular. But too many hot-n-cold performances from our starters this year. Our pen has been even less consistent. And we traded away our hottest reliever at the time in Soria. But we can't blame our poor season on just the pitching. Our hitting has been pretty crappy and I can no longer remember when we've last had a really good defensive ballclub.

Still, hope springs eternal, and I see better times ahead. Whether it's next year or the one after, the Sox will turn this around.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way José

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh ... one decent guy does not a contending pitching staff make ... especially with a less than desirable pen.

This year was never about contending. You don't bother with a pen in a rebuild/tank year. Once you are ready to make your push you then go out and sign a FA pitcher and a couple of pen studs. I think 2020. The Sox will have a rotation of Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, and whatever stud they sign. They may go get a bat too. They are doing the Astros plan to a T and it's gonna work.

I am just happy to see Rodon finally get there.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh ... one decent guy does not a contending pitching staff make ... especially with a less than desirable pen.

Lopez has been solid. The pitching staff will be quite different next year. It's weird to pre-judge them based off of this current staff's performance. So far as the rotation... Kopech will be up, we'll likely make a free agent addition, Cease should follow shortly... etc...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. This year they lose 100+, next year 90+, they contend in 2020

I think things need to get better next year than 90 losses if we actually think we're going to contend in 2020. Just saying... have to crawl before you can walk. I think we're going to begin to lay down even more of a foundation to contend with a couple of free agent signings as well in the winter.

We have to be a respectable team next year, in order for me to believe we can actually be a serious contender for the post-season in 2020. That means at least pushing towards .500... if not getting there.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. This year they lose 100+, next year 90+, they contend in 2020
I think that seems like the realistic, optimistic outlook.

They'd have to spend some serious dough to try and hang with Cleveland next year imo. More than it's worth.

Really is a Bye to the playoff for Tito two years in a row.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think things need to get better next year than 90 losses if we actually think we're going to contend in 2020. Just saying... have to crawl before you can walk. I think we're going to begin to lay down even more of a foundation to contend with a couple of free agent signings as well in the winter.

We have to be a respectable team next year, in order for me to believe we can actually be a serious contender for the post-season in 2020. That means at least pushing towards .500... if not getting there.

I suppose that's plausible, but didn't the Astros lose 100 games 3 years in a row before they got to where they are?