• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can someone explain defensive illegal formation for FG's?

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a fairly pivotal call against the Hawks yesterday where we were flagged for illegal formation on a fg that was ultimately missed. I completely understand that the defense is not allowed to line up on the center for safety reasons, but the tape showed that our DT was lined up off to his side, and IIRC he engaged the guard and never even attempted to touch the center. Is there a definitive area that defensive players have to be out of?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't understand that call either

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a fairly pivotal call against the Hawks yesterday where we were flagged for illegal formation on a fg that was ultimately missed. I completely understand that the defense is not allowed to line up on the center for safety reasons, but the tape showed that our DT was lined up off to his side, and IIRC he engaged the guard and never even attempted to touch the center. Is there a definitive area that defensive players have to be out of?
Any formation where a kick might conceivably be blocked is illegal.

Football's devolved into so many BS rules now, there'll soon be a pack of lawyers working on the sideline next to the HC. My wife and I had a brief argument last night over Rams plays Goff ran. Goff ran ~8 yards, dove headfirst, and a defender who had been tracking him lowered his shoulder and was the first to touch him on the ground. A 15-yd penalty for a personal foul was called. I said Goff shouldn't be allowed to run the ball, if defenders aren't allowed to actually tackle him like he's a real player. My wife chose the protect-the-QB-at-all-costs argument.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any formation where a kick might conceivably be blocked is illegal.

Football's devolved into so many BS rules now, there'll soon be a pack of lawyers working on the sideline next to the HC. My wife and I had a brief argument last night over Rams plays Goff ran. Goff ran ~8 yards, dove headfirst, and a defender who had been tracking him lowered his shoulder and was the first to touch him on the ground. A 15-yd penalty for a personal foul was called. I said Goff shouldn't be allowed to run the ball, if defenders aren't allowed to actually tackle him like he's a real player. My wife chose the protect-the-QB-at-all-costs argument.
yeah that shit is getting frustrating. There were also "picket fence" screen plays that NO ran a couple of times where the WR's started blocking their DB counterparts well before the ball was thrown, let alone waiting until the WR caught the pass. NO converted a 4th and goal, and another 3rd and short, which were nails in the coffin. The commentators in the booth didn't even seem to have a problem with it, and even praised the plays. Maybe I'm wrong, but pretty sure you can't block prior to the catch.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too my understanding, he hit the Center's left shoulder, which is why they threw the flag...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can not line up over the snapper he has to be uncovered. They do this because of how often teams would overload the snapper and how often he was getting injured. They said it was unfair and unsafe because he is looking between his legs and then the defense would just unload on them.