• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Camp report 7/25

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this @ stltoday, great read!

----------

Well, its finally here!!! The initial Camp report for the 2013 Season.

Just a few of my observations from today:

Camp Report 7/25/13
Largest crowd of any training camp practice ever. Perfect weather only helped.
Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Matt Daniels; Jemelle Cudjo ; Barrett Jones; Braden Brown
Special Teams to start off Practice:
Fielding punts: Tavon Austin; Isaiah Pead: Nick Johnson; Demetrius Fields; Chase Reynolds; Andre Martin
Kickoff Returns:
Isaiah Pead; Nick Johnson; Demetrius Fields; Andrew Helmic; Raymond Radway (NO GIVENS; NO AUSTIN)
Spent the first 20 minutes on Kickoff Coverage:
1st Unit Kickoff Team…..
T. Johnson Hull McDonald McLeod McNeill Zuerlein Pointer Harkey Sims Stewart Giaordano
2nd Unit:
Reynolds J. Williams Steeples Cunningham Bates Baer Armstrong McGee Bailey Ogletree C. Davis
Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale S. Smith Barnes Washington Nsekhe

7 on 7 Passing Drills: Started out with “12” personnel (single back/ double TE) set
McNeill Cook (both lined up as "in line TE's)
Pettis Givens (split out on opposite sides of formation)
Richardson
Next play came out in Trips:
Givens Pettis Austin
Cook (on opposite side of the formation)
Pead
• Just a couple of examples of the formations they used. But make no mistake about it, while they took a couple deep shots with Givens and later Bailey, the MAJORITY of the focus of the offense was 3-step, quick hitting stuff.
• Quite a concerted effort to work Cook in the seam, and on stuff over the middle. Givens and Janoris Jenkins went at it a couple of times, with Givens not necessarily liking the tight coverage all that much. He did beat him on a deep pass only to drop it while falling in the back corner of the endzone.
• Another highlight of the 7 on 7 session, was Austin getting behind Finnegan and Bradford hitting him in stride before the safety could get there. Lined up in the slot, alongside Cook, who ran a post route, taking the safety with him. This is EXACTLY the problem that these two will cause. There is no way the safety can cover both.
• When they went to the 3 WR sets, it was interesting that Stewart more often than not was the deep safety, with McDonald in the box. McDonald impressed me with his anticipation and closing speed in the flats. Closed on Austin on a sideline route near the LOS.
• One other thing that stood out was Ogletree. He has definitely added size, but his range in coverage is incredible. Again, his closing speed on backs out of the backfield is impressive. In nickel situations, Ogletree and Laurinaitis stayed on the field. (no surprise) with Finnegan sliding inside as the nickel CB. T. Johnson and Jenkins on the outside.
• One other observation: Witherspoon and Jabara Williams were the 2nd Unit LBs in the Nickel. I mention this because it means Dunbar is working with the 3’s in this package. McGee and Steeples were running with the 2nd unit at CB, with Pointer as the nickel CB. McLeod and Giordano at the Safeties.
11 on 11
• Richardson and Pead alternated reps throughout most of practice.
• Stacy and Ganaway shared reps with the 2nd unit. Stacy tripped going thru the hole and fumbled on one of his early carries. Not exactly the way you want to make an early impression.
• More than not, Givens and Pettis were getting 1st unit reps, with Quick and Bailey subbing in.
Lots of different personnel groupings, mainly a byproduct of just rotating the WRs on virtually every play.
• Harkey was used as H-back (in place of Kendricks) and lined up in the FB position more than once. Again, this is a change over McNeill being used in that spot a lot last year.

Player observations:
Pead… IMO, looks a little thicker this year. Lower body has developed. Still shows excellent hands out of the backfield. And has the burst.

Andrew Helmick (local kid out of Lindenwood Univ) had a very impressive practice. Caught EVERYTHING thrown at him, including a sliding catch in the seam for what was about a 18-20 yrd reception from A. Davis.

It’s really nice to see them break the huddle and Bradford not be the tallest player on the field. Jake Long is the real deal. Scott Wells notwithstanding, when Harvey Dahl is the “smallest” guy on your Oline, it speaks volumes on what they have done to build this unit.

Brandon Washington is a LARGE MAN!!!! He is one to keep an eye on.

Cody Davis and Rashard Hall working with the 3’s at Safety. Ray Ray Armstrong with the 3’s at OLB.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what I'm talkin bout Jack.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you jacobarch for the camp update.:nod: Well done, I can picture it right now and feel like I was there. Pead thicker and quick :nod:, a little pushing and shoving from a WR and CB :nod:, Washington huge, this is all good stuff. Cook and Austin both in the middle, wow. Thanks:nod:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players not participating: Lance Kendricks and Barrett Jones

any word on how long they are gonna be out?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
• Another highlight of the 7 on 7 session, was Austin getting behind Finnegan and Bradford hitting him in stride before the safety could get there. Lined up in the slot, alongside Cook, who ran a post route, taking the safety with him. This is EXACTLY the problem that these two will cause. There is no way the safety can cover both.
• When they went to the 3 WR sets, it was interesting that Stewart more often than not was the deep safety, with McDonald in the box. McDonald impressed me with his anticipation and closing speed in the flats. Closed on Austin on a sideline route near the LOS.
• One other thing that stood out was Ogletree. He has definitely added size, but his range in coverage is incredible. Again, his closing speed on backs out of the backfield is impressive. In nickel situations, Ogletree and Laurinaitis stayed on the field. (no surprise) with Finnegan sliding inside as the nickel CB. T. Johnson and Jenkins on the outside.
• One other observation: Witherspoon and Jabara Williams were the 2nd Unit LBs in the Nickel. I mention this because it means Dunbar is working with the 3’s in this package. McGee and Steeples were running with the 2nd unit at CB, with Pointer as the nickel CB. McLeod and Giordano at the Safeties.
11 on 11
All of this sounds really good. I hadn't thought of Pead being the 3rd down/goaline back but if he has put on some weight, we could actually get both of our two most talented RBs in a logical rotation. Stacy still has a whole preseason to impress, though. The RB position should be the most contested spot on the roster.

I can't wait to see formations with Cook, Richardson, Austin and Givens on the field. Its been awhile since we've had some speed.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any word on how long they are gonna be out?

Jones should start practicing before the preseason opener. Kendricks is said to be back week 1 or 2 of the preseason.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well done jacobarch. Excellent piece. I know why they gave up on Rok Watson. Chris Williams and Brandon Washington that's why. I like that second unit O-line as well. Big dudes all the way across. The only reason Harvey Dahl is still around is because he has a nasty streak that does not quit. Wells better get his act together or he may be overrun by Barrett Jones. Oh yea, this team is coming along nicely!!!

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jacobarch - thanks for feeding us the info - we've been starving!

My thoughts:

1) Not worried about Stacy at all...learing curve, new surroundings, etc.

2) Worried about Kendricks. That's why we singed Cook and Potter in the offseason to go along with McNeill and Harkey.

3) If Austin Davis doesn't overtake Kellen Clemens by the end of camp, I want another backup QB next year!