• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

California just voted in favor of killing off the PAC-12

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 South Park
2 Family Guy
3 King of the Hill
4 American Dad
5 Bob’s Burgers
6 The Simpsons

What is that the latest expansion division in the Pac-12? :dhd:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me guess you’re going to claim Cam obstructed now. It’s the in thing.

No, I honestly don't care. I just know that being cleared doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I mean, OJ was cleared of trying to turn to people into Pez dispensers.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All occupants in the White House currently hate America
Remember those BLM protest at Mizzou and how Gary Pinkel retired right afterwards. Some people just hate college football ... even when it fvcks their own program.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember those BLM protest at Mizzou and how Gary Pinkel retired right afterwards. Some people just hate college football ... even when it fvcks their own program.

You are a moron.....Pinkel had cancer.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a moron.....Pinkel had cancer.
LOL @ Mizzou

151110-melissa-click-mn-1730_7bae89458b4757f64458142cc46dcb8d.fit-760w.jpg

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’re already being paid. It just isn’t talked about.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you have a picture of the Worst POTUS of all time as your avatar says everything we need to know about you.

Trump is a racist, rapist, traitor, corrupt, egomaniac, pathological liar, and overall disgusting human being.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you have a picture of the Worst POTUS of all time as your avatar says everything we need to know about you.

Trump is a racist, rapist, traitor, corrupt, egomaniac, pathological liar, and overall disgusting human being.
giphy.gif

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's amazing that we elected a person that bad as POTUS isn't it?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. It basically allows college athletes to profit off of their likeness if they can. But just because 1 state says it's ok, doesn't change the fact that it's against NCAA rules and NCAA rules are what all schools must adhere to.

It's similar to marijuana being legal in some states, but illegal at the federal level. If a city or county doesn't want marijuana collectives, they use federal law to shut them down.

I would expect that California schools, at least ones that wish to remain eligible for NCAA competition will use the NCAA rules to not allow their student athletes to collect money off of their likeness.

Will some player try to challenge that at some point? Maybe. Maybe even probably. But my guess is that it won't end well for them.

The outcome will likely be the same as when collectives tell the local city/county authorities "But it's legal in this state" and are told, "it's illegal federally and federal law trumps state law".

I guess we can agree to disagree. The premise behind it IMO is admirable because something does need to be done for athletes that bring in a ton of money for schools. But problem is, and will always be Women’s sports and Olympic men’s sports.

But there is a difference between weed being legal. Weed is legal in a state but not federally. Right now a person in Cali can be arrested by a federal agent. With this new law it has nothing to do with anything federal just it is only going after a company.

I get that USC and Stanford wouldn’t on the surface try to use the rule. USC and Stanford I don’t think would go against the NCAA but then come the problem with your legislature. You have alums from all schools and outside of Stanford and USC it seems they are pro trying to screw the NCAA in the courts. Just as UW can bolt to another conference without us I don’t think it is anyway possible for you guys to do things without political pressure from alums of other schools or idea-logs.

Your last part is the main issue. It isn’t federally illegal. This bill is just a legal way of California politicians to do their nation wide minimum wage. There are positives of the bill as I have admitted, but this is a 1% bill when it will end up hurting everyone except the 1% if somehow the SCOTUS rules it constitutional.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we can agree to disagree. The premise behind it IMO is admirable because something does need to be done for athletes that bring in a ton of money for schools. But problem is, and will always be Women’s sports and Olympic men’s sports.

The one thing I will say about the California law is that it seems like a way around Title IX. It allows a player to profit from their likeness and name. That is only going to involve, at most, a handful of players and since the school isn't paying them, no Title IX violation.

But there is a difference between weed being legal. Weed is legal in a state but not federally. Right now a person in Cali can be arrested by a federal agent. With this new law it has nothing to do with anything federal just it is only going after a company.

And a program can be "arrested" by the NCAA. Again, the law allows an athlete to profit from their likeness. It doesn't say that the athletes have to be paid. I don't see schools risking getting in hot water with the NCAA over a law in 1 state that only effects a handful of players (if that) at any given school.

I get that USC and Stanford wouldn’t on the surface try to use the rule. USC and Stanford I don’t think would go against the NCAA but then come the problem with your legislature. You have alums from all schools and outside of Stanford and USC it seems they are pro trying to screw the NCAA in the courts. Just as UW can bolt to another conference without us I don’t think it is anyway possible for you guys to do things without political pressure from alums of other schools or idea-logs.

Your last part is the main issue. It isn’t federally illegal. This bill is just a legal way of California politicians to do their nation wide minimum wage. There are positives of the bill as I have admitted, but this is a 1% bill when it will end up hurting everyone except the 1% if somehow the SCOTUS rules it constitutional.

And suppose it goes to SCOTUS and is deemed constitutional? It doesn't change the number of players who would even be able to take advantage of it and it doesn't change the fact that it's against NCAA rules and a school can be severely punished.

Assuming that the law was deemed constitutional, it wouldn't automatically make the NCAA rule unconstitutional. Especially since schools technically participate voluntarily and agree to abide by their rules in order to be members.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yet he is better than anyone the anti Americans have. Now onto football.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eat a dick, pussy.