• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Calder Finalists

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Howard(DET), Matt Duchene(COL) and Tyler Myers(BUF)

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dang, dash captured it before I changed the typo on Myers. I actually copied it from HBK's thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote would also go to Myers. And even though I can no longer prove it, I picked him in the POTY to win the Calder, so given my talent-evaluation abilities, perhaps I could get hired by the Thrashers or Wild in their scouting departments and actually turn those teams around.

=)

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess tyler myers will likely win it, but my homer glasses are hard to take off.

considering the amount of pressure jimmy howard came in with this season, basically trying to prove himself nhl worthy, play his way to a contract extension as a back up, then getting thrust into a starting role and asked to basically carry a team that lost 88 goals in the offseason and lost 307 man-games to injury, dealing with constant rumours of the wings looking to trade for a goalie, and all of this under the weight of unfazed expectations not only for the team to make the playoffs but to still be a major contender.

an unbelievable season for a kid most thought didn't have a future with the franchise.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myers gets my homer vote.

All I hear are good things about him and his actions prove that.

I'm just waiting until he fills out a bit and get a mean streak going.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like that we have a goalie, defenseman, and forward in the mix, but it does make it harder to compare them all.

Overall, I would give it to Myers - so much harder to play defense in this league at such a young age, and Myers took on a lot of responsibility on a Sabres team that not many gave a chance coming into the season.

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he only played 45 games (because he had to steal his job from last year's Vezina winner), but Tuukka Rask led the entire league in GAA and SPCT. His lead in GAA was by a quarter-goal.

1.97 GAA, .931 SPCT, 5 SOs - Tuukka Rask
2.26 GAA, .924 SPCT, 3 SOs - Jimmy Howard

You're telling me this kid can't get on a ballot because Tim Thomas didn't shit the bed as fast as Chris Osgood?

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he only played 45 games (because he had to steal his job from last year's Vezina winner), but Tuukka Rask led the entire league in GAA and SPCT. His lead in GAA was by a quarter-goal.

You're telling me this kid can't get on a ballot because Tim Thomas didn't shit the bed as fast as Chris Osgood?

it's true, rask had a ridiculous season. is there some cut off that a player has to have played a certain number of games to be considered?

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know Savard got hurt down the stretch but were there a lot of other key Boston injuries? I am not sure so I am actually asking. That might be the difference right there.
That said, I think Myers wins it.

Larry N

Flyers fan for life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it's true, rask had a ridiculous season. is there some cut off that a player has to have played a certain number of games to be considered?

From wikipedia:

In order to be considered a rookie in the NHL, the rookie must be eligible to win the Calder Trophy. The qualification criteria to be eligible are that the player must have played fewer than 25 NHL games the previous year -OR- fewer than 26 NHL games the previous two years, as well as being under the age of 26 on September 15 of the season in which he is eligible. The age consideration was added after Sergei Makarov won the trophy at age 31 in 1990.

Looks like Rask meets all of the criteria, so not sure why he couldn't be nominated.

Great bit of irony: The Bruins obtained Rask for an actual Calder winner: Andrew Raycroft.