• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Byron Jones top ranked CB thus far

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's not really close

Thought we all needed at least some good news right now. Last week I said I thought Awuzie was playing almost as well as Jones. But this past game I didn't think Awuzie played great. Jones was again very good last game. Let's hope he keeps it up and the rest of the team comes around as well. Big game this week. I think we win and pull back to .500.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones is looking real good at corner. It is sad the coaching staff had him play out of position for 2 seasons.

I see the same thing happening with Connor williams. He would be a great RT,but the coaches are too dumb to see it. The running game and pass protection would be much better if Williams and Collins swapped positions.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was reading today it was Richard who after never really even coaching Byron Jones was the one that pushed for Dallas to pick up his option. Right now that is looking like a great move.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been really good. This weekend will be a big test for our CBs. Lions have 3 good WRs. Their rookie RB looked good last week as well.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been really good. This weekend will be a big test for our CBs. Lions have 3 good WRs. Their rookie RB looked good last week as well.

As good as our D has been, they have a heck of a test this week. Stafford is a good QB with several weapons. Tate is hard guy to bring down once he has the ball.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones still on top and Vander Esch making noise.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love they have these guys ranked high, but how is Vander Esch so close to being the 2nd highest rated LB in the league? He is playing very well, but not that well. I just don't get these PFF rankings sometimes. But...Good for the kid and good for us

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love they have these guys ranked high, but how is Vander Esch so close to being the 2nd highest rated LB in the league? He is playing very well, but not that well. I just don't get these PFF rankings sometimes. But...Good for the kid and good for us

Well look at the CBs. Eli Apple and Prince. I’ve always thought Prince was pretty good but not top 5.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well look at the CBs. Eli Apple and Prince. I’ve always thought Prince was pretty good but not top 5.
I think you probably realize this, but it's just a list based on how they have actually performed so far this year by their ratings. It's not meant to be a ranking list of who is best. So a guy who is normally horrible can actually be ranked well for a game or two. I was just surprised because while I think Vander Esch has been good I find it surprising he has been one of the best in the league.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This right here is why I don't pay attention to PFF grades. For starters the grades are completely subjective to the one watching the film. And considering how much actual work there is to chart every play and player, I can't imagine PFF has more than 1, 2 or maybe 3 guys at most looking at any one individual player. Then the following week it might be a different guy watching that player, and this new evaluator might have a different view of what the "right way to play the game" is -- without digging into this very much, I imagine there is an issue with consistency in these grades. Then it also begs the question what are the qualifications of those grading said players? I remember a couple years back PFF had a major hiring push to bring on a ton more evaluators as their platform was greatly expanding, and from what I remember strong knowledge of football was not a prerequisite.

Onto LVE, the guy has been very good for a rookie, but I don't think any reasonable Cowboy fan thinks he has been the 4th best LB in football.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This right here is why I don't pay attention to PFF grades. For starters the grades are completely subjective to the one watching the film. And considering how much actual work there is to chart every play and player, I can't imagine PFF has more than 1, 2 or maybe 3 guys at most looking at any one individual player. Then the following week it might be a different guy watching that player, and this new evaluator might have a different view of what the "right way to play the game" is -- without digging into this very much, I imagine there is an issue with consistency in these grades. Then it also begs the question what are the qualifications of those grading said players? I remember a couple years back PFF had a major hiring push to bring on a ton more evaluators as their platform was greatly expanding, and from what I remember strong knowledge of football was not a prerequisite.

Onto LVE, the guy has been very good for a rookie, but I don't think any reasonable Cowboy fan thinks he has been the 4th best LB in football.
I absolutely 100 % agree with you on PFF. It shows up on my twitter feed and honestly just makes me happy to see our guys ranked so high but ultimately it doesn't really mean much. I hate when people use it as "proof" in an argument because it just isn't. The worst rankings to me are for the OL. At least a WR can make a reception and a defensive player can make a tackle, but I read one time how they judge the OL and it was pretty much what you describe above and the raters were deciding on the slightest of variances. Guys got similar points for sealing off their guy if the ball goes outside the other way as they did for getting a 3 yard push on their man when the ball was run right up their ass. But there is a little merit behind it and being as far in 1st as both Jones and Wagner are does mean something.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely 100 % agree with you on PFF. It shows up on my twitter feed and honestly just makes me happy to see our guys ranked so high but ultimately it doesn't really mean much. I hate when people use it as "proof" in an argument because it just isn't. The worst rankings to me are for the OL. At least a WR can make a reception and a defensive player can make a tackle, but I read one time how they judge the OL and it was pretty much what you describe above and the raters were deciding on the slightest of variances. Guys got similar points for sealing off their guy if the ball goes outside the other way as they did for getting a 3 yard push on their man when the ball was run right up their ass. But there is a little merit behind it and being as far in 1st as both Jones and Wagner are does mean something.

Agreed. Generally speaking I think if you see a guy's name up there it's a safe bet he's playing pretty well. But when it comes to the grades, PFF miss on a lot IMO -- like in your example of OLine, how do they have a clue what each individual lineman's assignment is? There is just so much they don't know that I could never view their grades as definitive. Obviously some things are self-evident, such as the play of Jones and Wagner this year.

One thing I do really like PFF for is all their counting stats. They track all the plays and seem to do a good job with the raw numbers.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Generally speaking I think if you see a guy's name up there it's a safe bet he's playing pretty well. But when it comes to the grades, PFF miss on a lot IMO -- like in your example of OLine, how do they have a clue what each individual lineman's assignment is? There is just so much they don't know that I could never view their grades as definitive. Obviously some things are self-evident, such as the play of Jones and Wagner this year.

One thing I do really like PFF for is all their counting stats. They track all the plays and seem to do a good job with the raw numbers.
they ask Cris Collinsworth :pound: