• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bye Week food for thought

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slow week gents, but I think as a fanbase and team we needed it....looking forward to watching other teams play without any vested interest. A lot of topics out there this week, a lot of back and fourth and one I was interested in was the margin of loss debate...original stats:
Holgorsen has coached 32 games, 8 have been 20+ losses 1/4
Stewart coached 40 games and had 2 20+ point losses 1/20
Fraud coached 86 games and had 7 20+ point losses 1/12
Nehlen coached 246 games and had 30 20+ point losses 1/8
Cignetti coached 44 games and had 13 20+ point losses 1/4

Nehlan's are skewed a bit since some shutouts were not included in his and we all know that today a shutout loss by any number is a blowout. 20 pts+ were the struture of this debate, but there are times when a team can lose by 20 and not be a blowout or a team can lose by 7 and it was a blowout.... once again this is my personal opinion.

So I wanted to do a little research and came up with the following...Rod is the only coach on this list that still coaches Div 1 in one of the BCS conf...he is a good sample to take as well because you can compare a coach who was very successful in the BE and then look at what he did coaching in two of the major conf's:

At Michigan and Arizona he has coached 55 games including last nights L to reeling USC...lol In those 55 games he has 13 blowout L's to the resume(this can change depending on what you consider a blowout loss) 1/4 of his games...he was also a mind numbing 3-15 vs ranked opponents. So my point is while you want to try to compare apples to apples with BE records and margin of L's to the Big 12 that is not a fair assesment. When one of the guys who gave us our glory years goes to one of the most historical football universities (ranked #1 in wins all time for those of you keeping track) in a solid conf not called the BE he struggled even more than our new coach. And this is a guy with head coaching exp...so why are we so quick to throw our brand new head coach under the bus so quickly?

Secondly....for those of you who think we should have stayed in the BE.....I give you "THE VILLE" after last night win did you here what the pundits were saying this morning...Ville struggles, Ville is not number 8...in a conf like that to even be considered for a run at the NC you need blow out wins week in and week out. Some teams L's are looked at with more reverence than your wins. I think the Ville will go undefeated this season, but they have no shot at a NC...and even being ranked number 8....that team would get about 4 or 5 L's in the Big 12...just my opinion, but I have seemed to watch every one of there games in my market.

Third who is going to be watching Baylor play this weekend? LOL I will probably catch some of it, not going to lie they are my fav to win the Big 12....would love to see them go against oregon in a match up.

:suds:

jgb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Post DCW, But I just can't handle the bye week. I heard the Government shut down WVUDAD this week and he won't be giving any opinions unless you are all willing to come to the table and listen to him. He said you all have to be willing to have a conversation about all the problems facing the WVU program. He said he's sick of all you WVU fans giving and giving and giving and That Dana should get off the Big 12 Wic program and have all his benefits Stopped. He sick of paying his Alum Fee and watching it go to the garbage that Dana is putting out their. Being the leader of the Tea Party WVU alum he wants big changes and he wants it right now DAM IT by God. He will not come back to the table and talk to you guys until you guys present some good ideas

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being reported WVU is 4.2 million in the black this year....not even getting full shares yet..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got $5 that says Mick will swear its fuzzy math.
:agree:

Yeah I wonder if he will do another article about this like he did last year...not sure if you caught his article today about the coverage of IMG in and around the state...wonder if OL JR those him some extra bucks for the articles.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe it is fair to compare any results from the past few years... to those of 10 years ago. Even the last 5...

Uptempo football is the latest craze. Multiple teams are doing it... even Bama goes uptempo at times. It is changing the game... for now.

Take a small sample of games just from our conference last year....

KSU 52 Miami 13
Zona 59 Okie St 38
TT 20 OU 41
OU 63 UT 21
TCU 49 BU 21
KSU 44 OSU 30
OSU 59 TT 21
BU 52 KSU 24
KSU 42 UT 24

Bowl games...

BU 49 UCLA26
KSU 17 Oregon 35
OU 13 A&M 41

It is just my opinion, but when you have offenses clicking at the same time for both teams... you end up with the track meet... PlayStation scores we've seen.

When one offense is clicking and the other is off... it gets out of hand quickly. The pressure on both sides of the ball is multiplied when playing these kind of games. The offense is sputtering... but, knows it has to try to keep up with the opponent and starts pressing. The defense is getting humiliated. So players start playing with fear. Coaches start overreacting. Patterson said in his attempt to slow down Baylor last week, he started changing up coverages... all to no avail. Said his kids reacted like they did last year. Making mistakes.

Well... I think that is the problem. Why change a coverage simply because a team is having success due to missed assignments? Don't hit the panic button. Coach the boys up on the sideline, calm everyone down.

Easier said than done...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can go to the Pac 12 and see similar results for last year as well. Besides Oregon, there are a number of uptempo teams in that league today.

Go to the SEC... look at the results of some of their games this year as well as last year concentrating on teams with uptempo offenses.

While I don't like the blowouts... I certainly don't think of them in the same way I did 30 years ago.

But... that is just me....

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, Nehlen's teams played a MUCH tougher schedule, games included the likes of Ohio State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, PSU and sPitt were top ten teams, Syracuse was a top 15 team, so his 10 shutout losses were hardly in the same class as being shut out by a Maryland team that got shut out 63-0 the next week!!!!!!!!! 30 point losses to ANYONE, especially with a guy who is supposed to be an offensive genius, are unacceptable!!!!

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, Nehlen's teams played a MUCH tougher schedule, games included the likes of Ohio State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, PSU and sPitt were top ten teams, Syracuse was a top 15 team, so his 10 shutout losses were hardly in the same class as being shut out by a Maryland team that got shut out 63-0 the next week!!!!!!!!! 30 point losses to ANYONE, especially with a guy who is supposed to be an offensive genius, are unacceptable!!!!

So should we just disband the football program and tear down Milan pushkar.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So should we just disband the football program and tear down Milan pushkar.

No, the coaching staff should be reviewed, and as Luck has shown he will do, make some changes. I would give Holgorsen next year, Efore and Dawson gone after THIS season, or sooner. When a coach can not communicate with THREE QBs, it is on the coaches!!!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we didn't play a tough schedule last year at all, since all but one team in our conf had .500 or better record....playing against the top offenses in the country...no we had a cake walk last year

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we didn't play a tough schedule last year at all, since all but one team in our conf had .500 or better record....playing against the top offenses in the country...no we had a cake walk last year

Compared to the schedule in the late 1970s and early 1980s, playing against three top ten teams AT LEAST every year, plus several other top 20 teams, last year was a cakewalk!!!!! Go back and take a look at the schedule from 1976 to 1982.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compared to the schedule in the late 1970s and early 1980s, playing against three top ten teams AT LEAST every year, plus several other top 20 teams, last year was a cakewalk!!!!! Go back and take a look at the schedule from 1976 to 1982.

Yeah and did we tear that schedule up...we're we a being a traditional top 20 team in those years...how did we do against all those ranked teams...oh we beat two of them...out of how many again? gosh the glory years were so good to us.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one time in the years you mentioned did we play 3 top ten teams....only twice did we play 2 top ten teams..".alchohol must have been stronger back then as well.

jgb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy Dad is a dumb FUCK

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and did we tear that schedule up...we're we a being a traditional top 20 team in those years...how did we do against all those ranked teams...oh we beat two of them...out of how many again? gosh the glory years were so good to us.

Well, then look at 1994, and 2003, 2003 was the THIRD year of Fraud....5 ranked teams, 2-3 against them, 8-5 overall. YEA, buddy losing to UMD 37-0, then then getting beat 63-0 the next week is moving up!!!!!! Much better getting drummed by lousy teams than barely beaten by top 10s.. DC, 9 or 10 wins a year against that competition aint too bad, these blow out losses to inferior teams is getting old, I keep reading on here about Beamer having a poor record his first few years, but they COMPETED, there were positives to be seen, and his ball is EXACTLY opposite of what you guys want, he plays great defense and special teams, and offense is secondary, AND you could see the progression from year to year, and game to game. I see no grand plan on the field when WVU plays now, I see confusion, I see a lack of confidence.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I guess Rod is lucky he scored 7 against UMD that year, you might have been burning him in effigy if it wasn't for that score or he would have suddenly had no idea to coach.

24-40-2 record in his first 6 years in competitive?

Gosh guys I figured out if we could just have close L's like in the era of ground and pound football...DH would get 6 seasons of crappy football from the dad portion of the fanbase.

Don't pay attention to the fact you have offenses now scoring more in 5-6 games than they did in the good OL days...even the great defenses in the SEC get tested week in and week out...don't worry about the fact we have a coach in his second year of coaching.

Keep hearing you say how last year was such a bad coaching performance, but we had two games where we lost by one....we're those not competitive? Were we not in those games? Our coach in his second year was 2 pts away from going 9-3...you know the guy who can't coach...loses teams as you say.

Third year loses 92% of his offense, but let's not take that into account...same OL crap from dad for the last three years. Guy who can't coach is 20-12....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a coach can not communicate with THREE QBs, it is on the coaches!!!!

If I ever post something this absurd, I want everyone to let me know. And, I will apologize to all of you for being so ignorant.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the end of the PSU and UofM game. Envious of PSU fans. They support their team through thick and thin. Following an embarassing blowout loss to IU... they fill their stadium with over 100,000 fans.

We truly have a pathetic fanbase. Bunch of fair weather bandwagon fans.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one time in the years you mentioned did we play 3 top ten teams....only twice did we play 2 top ten teams..".alchohol must have been stronger back then as well.

It must be working pretty good for you today, 1982, sPitt, PSU, OU all three top 10
1981 spitt, PSU top 5
1978 PSU, OU top 5, sPitt top 15
1977 sPitt, PSU, UMD, all top 12
1976 sPitt, UMD top 10

LAST year we played ONE top 10 team, three other ranked teams, and went 2-2 against them, and lost to four unranked teams!!!!!!