• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buyer or Seller?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty simple question. What are we this year?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will buy but maybe, if the Giants continue to play like they do, he goes the way he did in 2019. I think we should be sellers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
E4F1944E-7D4F-40AF-9AA6-EDCC8B1A8F81.jpeg

I think the Phils are dead. That basically makes it a race between us and StL for the last spot, with a very little realistic chance to make much noise in the playoffs (I know, msg, ANYTHING can happen, and we should go all in to take advantage of that…).

This org NEVER goes full sell mode. And with this roster, I am not sure what assets we have that could bring anything back, assuming Webb, Rodon and Doval are essentially untouchable. Yaz? Pedo? Estrada? Casalli?

I see this team being more of a thrift shop buyer. A mid reliever or two. A middling player with 2 additional years of control.

Basically, I see this team treading water.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 300912

I think the Phils are dead. That basically makes it a race between us and StL for the last spot, with a very little realistic chance to make much noise in the playoffs (I know, msg, ANYTHING can happen, and we should go all in to take advantage of that…).

This org NEVER goes full sell mode. And with this roster, I am not sure what assets we have that could bring anything back, assuming Webb, Rodon and Doval are essentially untouchable. Yaz? Pedo? Estrada? Casalli?

I see this team being more of a thrift shop buyer. A mid reliever or two. A middling player with 2 additional years of control.

Basically, I see this team treading water.
The Harper injury has to be alarming to the org and the fans. But what happens if some of their free agent guys actually find the motivation to turn it up a notch without him in the lineup? Yes, I know that the opposite can happen. They feel the pressure, press too hard and get worse instead of better. But I'm just not ready to count them out just yet.
And I still think Miami is a dark horse candidate to come roaring to life in the 2nd half. I wouldn't be surprised if they are buyers at the deadline.

I do hope the Giants' FO waits to at least the All-Star break to make a decision to be all in as buyers because the schedule is going to be tough during the mid part of the month. If the team falls flat on its face against the Brewers, Padres and Dodgers, adding some pieces are not going to be enough.

But to your point about thrift shop buyers, that is what I meant about 2019. I hope they do a little of both buying and selling. Maybe swing some trades like they did for Will Smith and Mark Melancon. Of course, other GMs are going to be more savvy about those kind of deals so I'm not sure if that will happen again. And I really hope we don't see any more trades like the Donovan Walton for Prelander Berroa deals. That was awful at the time and I've not moved from that opinion.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also feel they will tread water. I really think they don't have too many other options available. They have a very limited trading pool when it comes to trading. Not a lot of talent to trade. They really can't trade one of their position players to fix a hole ... that would just create a hole for the player they traded. I also don't think the organization would just throw in the towel. Very bad optics.
I think they hang with STL/MIL and hope for the best. By the end of this month we should have a pretty goid idea of what to look forward to.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with moving on from a couple of our middle infielders but I'm pretty sure that is blasphemy in FZ's world.

Also, how is Carlos Rodon untouchable? If we do become sellers, he would be in high demand. His opt out may hurt what we get back but should still be a decent haul.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with moving on from a couple of our middle infielders but I'm pretty sure that is blasphemy in FZ's world.

Also, how is Carlos Rodon untouchable? If we do become sellers, he would be in high demand. His opt out may hurt what we get back but should still be a decent haul.
He is untouchable because this team NEVER trades away a stud. Matt Williams is, I think, the last stud who was traded away.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty simple question. What are we this year?
We have enormous amounts of cap room.

But paying market price for quality players is very expensive.

That said, we should pay to get the best available closer. If I was a player on this team, I would find it hard to be motivated to play well if it means that the bullpen is just going to throw away the game in the late innings.

IMHO, getting a quality closer would make the whole team play better.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have enormous amounts of cap room.

But paying market price for quality players is very expensive.

That said, we should pay to get the best available closer. If I was a player on this team, I would find it hard to be motivated to play well if it means that the bullpen is just going to throw away the game in the late innings.

IMHO, getting a quality closer would make the whole team play better.
Another issue that a trade won't likely fix is that of leadership. The veterans (Belt and Crawford) are often injured and haven't played well, and aren't fiery, determined, leader types. Kaplan jumped the shark this year and put divisive politics ahead of what's good for the team.

Gone are the days, and the types, of Bochy, Righetti, Posey, Bum, and Pence.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest bats that are free agents after this season:

Aaron Judge, Trea Turner, Jose Abreu, JD Martinez

Would you be willing to give 30 yr old Judge an 8 year blockbuster deal? It's how it works for big names now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest bats that are free agents after this season:

Aaron Judge, Trea Turner, Jose Abreu, JD Martinez

Would you be willing to give 30 yr old Judge an 8 year blockbuster deal? It's how it works for big names now.
I would generally say no. LARGE human beings don’t tend to last that long, but he is actually playing CF for the Spanks. He might just be that unicorn. And you have to imagine it is a battle between the Spanks and Giants to sign him. I will bow to the FO to make the right move on him, and default to being a fan wanting it to happen.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would generally say no. LARGE human beings don’t tend to last that long, but he is actually playing CF for the Spanks. He might just be that unicorn. And you have to imagine it is a battle between the Spanks and Giants to sign him. I will bow to the FO to make the right move on him, and default to being a fan wanting it to happen.
Yeah it's damned if you do damned if you don't. We complain that we don't sign big names like Harper but then we complain about the price tag required.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this streak will make them into sellers. Lets get some prospects

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have plenty of prospects. What we need are some baseball players. You know, guys who throw the ball, catch the ball, and hit the ball.
The question is, do we have enough already to get some more of them or should we just get even more prospects?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is, do we have enough already to get some more of them or should we just get even more prospects?
Do we have legit prospects, though? I say we have 2 heavy-hitter blue chips. I am not certain what we have past that. Ramos is either a bust or the FO THINKS he is a bust. No difference, really. Matos is having a disastrous year. We have a few names in the low minors, but that just means they have plenty of years still to lose their shine.

I am sure the big club’s play is effecting my opinion, but I am fast losing faith in FZs Sho Gun cooking style of roster management.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With each passing day of July, I get more convinced the Giants need to sale. Unfortunately, there isn't much to sell. However, there are a couple of players that could fetch some prospects back - Joc Pederson and Carlos Rodon. Pederson is on a one year deal so he's likely to not get a lot back but bat will be attractive to real contending teams. Rodon is technically signed to a two year deal but he has an opt out at the end of this season and he's likely to exercise it, based on what he's done so far. Might as well get something for him. If the team really wants him back next year, they'll have to negotiate a new deal anyway.

The rest of the offseason class of free agents are stuck with the team (Casali, Belt, Flores, Longoria, Alvarez, Boyd, Kunis, Leone and McGee). For the free agent class for the offseason after 2023, Brebbia and Garcia may be able to get something back but the rest (Crawford, LaStella, Ruf, Cobb and Wood) are probably not able to ship anywhere for anything more than maybe cash.

Sure, the Giants could get hot, right when they play contending teams, in the middle of the month, but things look pretty bad right now. At this point, even that hot streak won't convince me that this team is worth investing in the trade deadline, short term.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we have legit prospects, though? I say we have 2 heavy-hitter blue chips. I am not certain what we have past that. Ramos is either a bust or the FO THINKS he is a bust. No difference, really. Matos is having a disastrous year. We have a few names in the low minors, but that just means they have plenty of years still to lose their shine.

I am sure the big club’s play is effecting my opinion, but I am fast losing faith in FZs Sho Gun cooking style of roster management.
I think that makes the argument that the team needs to be sellers even more relevant. Of course, most of the prospects FZ has acquired via trade have either been busts or been used to acquire late 20 year old AAAA players.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that makes the argument that the team needs to be sellers even more relevant. Of course, most of the prospects FZ has acquired via trade have either been busts or been used to acquire late 20 year old AAAA players.
Outside of Yaz, Wade and maybe Estrada, FZ has acquired bubkus. A whole truckload of nada. And it looks like Yaz and Wade may have been relative flash-in-the-pans. Yaz is an OK starting OF, but no way is he a guy should be your best OFer. Wade hasn’t shown jack this year. Early (for him due to injuries), but he came with absolutely zero pedigree, so the fall shouldn’t be surprising.