• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burrow nearing 1 year of stats

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Herbert only played in 15 games last year, so if you compare apples to apples, I don't think there is anyway that Burrow wins Rookie of the Year with the way Justin played. No way Burrow would have caught up with TD's thrown or yards. Even with a ridiculous week this week, he would have never come close to Herbert in my opinion. 31 TD's as a rookie is lights out.

However, I enjoy having Burrow as the Bengals QB, and if we had to do all over again, I would still make the same pick even if Miami gave up their 3 firsts. Granted, that is a lot of fire power, and hind sight is 20/20, but I think Burrow is the right QB for the Bengals regardless of compensation.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Herbert only played in 15 games last year, so if you compare apples to apples, I don't think there is anyway that Burrow wins Rookie of the Year with the way Justin played. No way Burrow would have caught up with TD's thrown or yards. Even with a ridiculous week this week, he would have never come close to Herbert in my opinion. 31 TD's as a rookie is lights out.

However, I enjoy having Burrow as the Bengals QB, and if we had to do all over again, I would still make the same pick even if Miami gave up their 3 firsts. Granted, that is a lot of fire power, and hind sight is 20/20, but I think Burrow is the right QB for the Bengals regardless of compensation.

That's an interesting hypothetical. If they traded #1 to Miami for their 3 firsts, the Bengals could have gotten Herbert at 5, Justin Jefferson at 18, and Patrick Queen at 26. That of course, probably means no Higgins, Wilson or Chase.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting hypothetical. If they traded #1 to Miami for their 3 firsts, the Bengals could have gotten Herbert at 5, Justin Jefferson at 18, and Patrick Queen at 26. That of course, probably means no Higgins, Wilson or Chase.
You also have to consider...Burrow has mentally recovered from his injury and the poor OL play last year.

Could Herbert have done the same? Maybe. We'll never know.

What I do know, is that for the 1st time since Prime Palmer, you have a QB who you feel like you're never out of the game. I'd even go a step further to say since Boomer, if only because Palmer had those mental blocks at times, that Burrow just doesn't seem to have. Not a knock on Palmer, as he was physically as gifted as a QB as you could want, but I think there was always questions about his mental ability to block things out and move past them.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You also have to consider...Burrow has mentally recovered from his injury and the poor OL play last year.

Could Herbert have done the same? Maybe. We'll never know.

What I do know, is that for the 1st time since Prime Palmer, you have a QB who you feel like you're never out of the game. I'd even go a step further to say since Boomer, if only because Palmer had those mental blocks at times, that Burrow just doesn't seem to have. Not a knock on Palmer, as he was physically as gifted as a QB as you could want, but I think there was always questions about his mental ability to block things out and move past them.

Burrow's great but Herbert gives you all of the same smarts and intangibles with an elite physical skillset. Mahomes is the only QB I would take over him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow's great but Herbert gives you all of the same smarts and intangibles with an elite physical skillset. Mahomes is the only QB I would take over him.
There had been reports that vocal leadership was not a strong suit of Herbert. That skill was something that Herbert needed to work on when coming out of the Senior Bowl. Burrow has that in spades. Granted, that is only one of many traits a good QB needs and many other traits that can make up for that single trait. I still am a big fan of Burrow's charisma. About what he brings to the table. How guys in FA have actually signed here because they had the choice of Burrow and another QB. Reader, Hilton and Reiff are three of those free agents.

Mahomes is a great QB, and probably the best in the league right now. However, I am starting to notice that his confidence is starting to cause some issues with turnovers.

Cincinnati needs someone like Burrow. You don't want too great of a QB like Brady and Rodgers, because then you have GM's thinking that they don't need to spend money on weapons around them. Joe Burrow has thrown to (5) 1st round players in his first 14 games, where as Rodgers has thrown to (4) in his entire career. However, there is a difference between a rookie contract and a QB making 40 million a year. Only so much money to go around I guess.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herbert has a special sort of talent. He's been amazing. But I don't think he was a homerun type of pick for a failing franchise with the first pick. There were questions about why a guy with his kind of talent didn't dominate more and wasn't a bigger influence on the program. I have no idea if these were fair criticisms. But given Burrow's leadership and success, he was the right pick for the Bengals.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree.

Larger point was - Burrow has been mentally able to lead in this franchise. That is something that shouldn't be overlooked considering the history. He has not one time flinched. Crappy franchise - he's going to win. Crappy OL - he's going to put up stats. Blown ACL off crappy OL - he'll return just as good, and maybe better.

Mentally - Burrow has accepted, and thrived under condition in which many good QB's, talented QB's, have, and would have, failed.

Point being - Herbert is a solid QB who is doing great things. You have to wonder though, if he were here...could he be doing what Burrow is doing. It's a fair question - and one that really doesn't have much of an answer because we'll neve know.