• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burrow Highest Graded QB in NFL

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I 100% agree with needing to focus on the oline this year, regardless of who is on the board and we can't just cheap it and patch it together. Any signing is not really an upgrade. It needs to be a legit upgrade.

However, I completely disagree with Palmer. I think he is a douchebag.

Taylor is not going to allow Burrow to get killed. As a young head coach, you do not get a gift like Burrow to lead your franchise very often. He needs to take full advantage of this. Like Dungy did with Peyton, like Belichek did with Brady, etc. He had no choice this year because we spent a lot of money in FA on defense, and we took Chase. They did dedicate draft stock on offensive line hoping something stuck. Not sure if it did or not. Carmen was good in spurts, but wildly inconsistent. The other guys never saw enough time to know for sure.

I think we will do something.

However, with that said, say things don't get done right, I don't think Burrow is looking to go anywhere. He is extremely close with his teammates, he is respected and the starter, unlike Ohio State, he is near friends and family being in Cincinnati, he is a local hero, he is given freedom by his coach to change things, he works with his coaches to install game plans and have input, he will make a fortune here. I don't think he is going anywhere. I think his loyalty will trump all that bullshit that Palmer is spewing.

Taylor and Katie will take care of him. Just don't let Troy pick out the offensive lineman we sign.

We also just got done with a Superbowl run, players around the league respect Burrow and may actually have Cincinnati as one of their top destinations. Let's see how FA and the draft pan out first before going down the Palmer Rabbit Hole.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not that they have ignored the o-line, they just haven't picked/signed the right guys.
They drafted Ced, Fisher, Price, Carman, traded for Glenn and those guys didn't work out.

What they need to do is take a step back and fundamentally change what they are looking for in o-linemen because what they've preferred lately hasn't worked.
Ced was a bust. They watched him for 2 years, maybe 3, before letting Whit walk and were SHOCKED he was that bad...yet they had 2/3 years of watching him in practice. Either they were really, really bad at evaluating what he could do, or they were simply not going to pay Whit with his age and what he wanted, and needed to justify the draft pick.

Same with Fischer.

Price was a lower round draft pick, and isn't ready, though I thought he did OK in the Bowl. Carmen, drafted, switched positions, and never really took that job. If this were the ONLY position on the OL that had questions, then that happens. But he was just one of 4. They got Reiff, and he was good enough. Glenn wasn't great before he got here, Su'a not great before he got here. The trend is always bargain basement deals for mid-tier guys who aren't really that great. If they were good enough, they wouldn't be cheap replacements and their teams wouldn't be looking to trade them, or simply letting them walk - and then watching them sign mediocre deals.

I'm not saying they needed to throw around Thuney money - but they need to get out of the bargain basement mode with OL. They've taken these steps, finally, in other areas - notably on defense. I hope they see this working and look at the resources they have, and realize they can land some serious impact guys. The C from Baltimore will be out there. Jensen from TB will be out there. Tomlison from SD will be out there. The Guard/C from New England will be out there. The interior OL F/A class is solid and full of upper tier guys that will transform this line. They need at least 2 of those guys. OT is not as good of a class, but I can live with drafting a guy in round 1/2 if they upgrade the other spots. Williams has been the only guy that has played well.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ced was a bust. They watched him for 2 years, maybe 3, before letting Whit walk and were SHOCKED he was that bad...yet they had 2/3 years of watching him in practice. Either they were really, really bad at evaluating what he could do, or they were simply not going to pay Whit with his age and what he wanted, and needed to justify the draft pick.

Same with Fischer.

Price was a lower round draft pick, and isn't ready, though I thought he did OK in the Bowl. Carmen, drafted, switched positions, and never really took that job. If this were the ONLY position on the OL that had questions, then that happens. But he was just one of 4. They got Reiff, and he was good enough. Glenn wasn't great before he got here, Su'a not great before he got here. The trend is always bargain basement deals for mid-tier guys who aren't really that great. If they were good enough, they wouldn't be cheap replacements and their teams wouldn't be looking to trade them, or simply letting them walk - and then watching them sign mediocre deals.

I'm not saying they needed to throw around Thuney money - but they need to get out of the bargain basement mode with OL. They've taken these steps, finally, in other areas - notably on defense. I hope they see this working and look at the resources they have, and realize they can land some serious impact guys. The C from Baltimore will be out there. Jensen from TB will be out there. Tomlison from SD will be out there. The Guard/C from New England will be out there. The interior OL F/A class is solid and full of upper tier guys that will transform this line. They need at least 2 of those guys. OT is not as good of a class, but I can live with drafting a guy in round 1/2 if they upgrade the other spots. Williams has been the only guy that has played well.

Yes, Ced sucked. But they didnt draft him knowing he would suck. That's my point. They did try. They just got it wrong, and continued to double down on getting it wrong. Whatever traits they look for in OL is not working, they need to change their preferences.

And I'm talking about Billy Price, whowas a first round pick. He got hurt and sucked and they traded him away. You might be thinking of someone else.

**Edit** I believe they drafted Ced in Whit's last year, he was hurt at the start and slid into RT with the plan to move to LT after Whit was gone, so they didn't have that much time to evaluate him

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not butthurt by Palmer's comments, but I do wish non-Bengal fans would be able to distinguish between his experience here and Burrow's experience here. Palmer had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL the year he shredded his knee. They continued to make significant investment through the draft (Whit and Tits) and FA (Bobbie Williams) while he continued his career. His running game in 2009 was fantastic - He just didn't have as much speed left on the outside as Chad wasn't as good as he once was. So, Palmer didn't leave the Bengals because they didn't have a good line or didn't protect him or let him get hurt...... He left because they weren't making investments in "other" areas.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they've been negligent of O-line in the draft.... In the last 7 drafts they have spent 5 round 1 or 2 picks on linemen. As Cincy points out, they've been unwilling to pay the higher tier on free agent market. Overall, my biggest concern is that the guys they have drafted aren't very good. I think they have to take a long look at what their criterion is for evaluation.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Ced sucked. But they didnt draft him knowing he would suck. That's my point. They did try. They just got it wrong, and continued to double down on getting it wrong. Whatever traits they look for in OL is not working, they need to change their preferences.

And I'm talking about Billy Price, whowas a first round pick. He got hurt and sucked and they traded him away. You might be thinking of someone else.

**Edit** I believe they drafted Ced in Whit's last year, he was hurt at the start and slid into RT with the plan to move to LT after Whit was gone, so they didn't have that much time to evaluate him
The doubling down is what gets me. Guys are busts all the time. What separates really good teams, is that those teams seem to move on quickly from those mistakes.

Credit to the Bengals because they've started doing this. Ross and Price as great examples. Now, the question is - will they move on from other guys who clearly are not good enough? We'll see.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he will be out of the league in 3 years if they dont get him an OL
Don't worry. That oline is coming this year. They have tried alot of lower-to-mid tier guys in FA, and spent in the draft, but too many busts. Mid-to-high tier players in FA this year, especially after Burrow and the Bengals coming out party. More players will be willing to come here to play for this team and we won't have to overpay them either, just give market value. Things will be fixed, no worries.