• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burrow Article

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow’s journey to franchise-changing quarterback

Fun read. Looking forward to him in Bengal stripes.

The one thing Mike Brown can get behind is the creation of more Bengal fans within a drives distance from the stadium where he can sell more tickets and merchandise. Merchandise sales will blow up on draft day if they draft Burrow. 3 1st round picks will not make Mike Brown nearly as much money, especially with a whole town within driving distance of a stadium, and the financial effect he will have on the organization. Plus, he will be working on a rookie contract for 5 years.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow’s journey to franchise-changing quarterback

Fun read. Looking forward to him in Bengal stripes.

The one thing Mike Brown can get behind is the creation of more Bengal fans within a drives distance from the stadium where he can sell more tickets and merchandise. Merchandise sales will blow up on draft day if they draft Burrow. 3 1st round picks will not make Mike Brown nearly as much money, especially with a whole town within driving distance of a stadium, and the financial effect he will have on the organization. Plus, he will be working on a rookie contract for 5 years.

You know what is sad Crash? Mike Brown makes money no matter who drafts Burrow..... Revenue from jersey sales is split among the franchises.... Jerry Jones bitches about this all the time. Yes, he'd have more money at the gate - But even then, he only keeps 60% of that increase.

Revenue sharing has made Mike Brown a rich man.... A rich man that has no incentive to try harder to field a competitive team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what is sad Crash? Mike Brown makes money no matter who drafts Burrow..... Revenue from jersey sales is split among the franchises.... Jerry Jones bitches about this all the time. Yes, he'd have more money at the gate - But even then, he only keeps 60% of that increase.

Revenue sharing has made Mike Brown a rich man.... A rich man that has no incentive to try harder to field a competitive team.

Do you have a document that breaks down how the NFL profit sharing works? I thought only gate revenue and tv money was split among the teams, but merchandise and concessions were team owned basically.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Revenue Sharing: How it works

This is old. It is from 2009 which was the last collective bargaining agreement..... But my understanding is that the overall structure of that deal did not change much. The percentage allocated to the players changes a little.

You are correct in that Mike Brown could expand his local revenue streams by fielding a winner..... This could sell more boxes and other premiums that the owners get to keep. He could also get more money from local business for advertising purposes (under the assumption that everyone loves a winner). But as mentioned in the article, the big chunks of money (TV, portions of the tickets, and merchandise) are mostly split across franchises.

Jerry Jones is an asshole.... But he has a point - He works his ass off to generate new forms of revenue and he takes on a lot of risk (he purchased his own stadium)..... As he has made owners richer (and players richer), owners like Mike Brown have taken their cash and sat around. It's not fair.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, correct me if I am wrong, but Brown is the only owner in the NFL who really doesn't get any personal revenue from an outside source. What I mean is: Most owners own large corporations that make Millions/Billions of dollars. That is where the owner makes their money. Owning a team, yes, will make them money - but for the majority of the owners, it is a break-even proposition. As long as they are at a zero-net sum at the end of the year, they don't care - their goal is to win the Super Bowl and will pour the NFL resources that they have into doing that.

Brown runs this like a business in that - it is his sole source of income.

Am I off base here? I'm too lazy to go around searching for what every owner does, but I can't recall any owner who, outside of Brown, didn't or doesn't, have ownership in a corporation as their primary source of income.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, correct me if I am wrong, but Brown is the only owner in the NFL who really doesn't get any personal revenue from an outside source. What I mean is: Most owners own large corporations that make Millions/Billions of dollars. That is where the owner makes their money. Owning a team, yes, will make them money - but for the majority of the owners, it is a break-even proposition. As long as they are at a zero-net sum at the end of the year, they don't care - their goal is to win the Super Bowl and will pour the NFL resources that they have into doing that.

Brown runs this like a business in that - it is his sole source of income.

Am I off base here? I'm too lazy to go around searching for what every owner does, but I can't recall any owner who, outside of Brown, didn't or doesn't, have ownership in a corporation as their primary source of income.

The Rooney family was and is almost all football I believe. Art bought the team in the 30s and wasn't involved in anything else.

The Bidwell family (Cardinals) has primarily been football only. Charles Bidwell was apparently a rich lawyer because he worked with the mob..... But I imagine over time all operations turned to football.

The Packers are public owned.

Mark Davis of Oakland obviously does nothing but football.

Halas family of Chicago I think is all football.

Not sure about the Maras of New York.

I think there is still a lot of old money in the NFL. And I don't think any owner is breaking even. They are all printing cash.