• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bug zappers

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
figured this forum was my best shot to get an answer here ...

In the summer, sometimes I use a small portable TV out on my porch in the evenings, when it's too hot to watch inside. Since it's normally hot/humid when I'm doing this, bugs can be a real nuisance.

I found a few solar-powered bug zappers online, but am skeptical about those - seems more like a novelty item.

Today, walking thru Dick's Sporting Goods, I noticed - Thermacell Patio Shield Lantern / Mosquito Repellent.

That looks like it might fit my needs. Covers 15 feet square, which is plenty big. Cost was reasonable, under $30.

Anyone have any luck with these sorts of things, ones that actually work?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven’t had experience with the thermacell specifically, but other similar products of the similar nature. We just bought a large unit that acts more as a trap to attract them. We set it out in the yard and after a half hour the bottom of the trap was covered in mosquitos. Best mosquito trap I’ve ever owned. Pretty impressive little unit, can’t recall what the name of it is off the top of my head though.

We’ve tried the expel or shielding type units and from my experience they don’t work nearly as well. I think if I had a covered patio it would work better.

Only gripe about most of these things is the attractant/detractor chemicals don’t last anywhere close to how long they say they do. 8-9 hours my ass. I’m changing those pads & bags at least every 3-4. Best stock up!