• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bubba Watson supports criticism of gay athlete

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Bubba, but can't support him on this one. Chris Broussard recently gave his negative views on Jason Collins coming out of the closet.

True, Bubba never came out and flat out said anything bad about Collins. But reading in between the lines in his tweet isn't difficult. His tweet showed support for religious views and the Bible...

The Bible is the same book that has been used to support slavery; men's property rights over women and the ideas against women's rights; And now used against a gay athlete.

Doesn't Bubba know its a sin to work on Sundays?

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why Tiger gets a free pass. There was lots of "begatin'" in the Bible & Lord knows Tiger did his fair share of begatin'!:hdn:

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bible is the same book that has been used to support slavery; men's property rights over women and the ideas against women's rights; And now used against a gay athlete.

True, but I think the way that man has used the book is not exactly how God intended. You also forgot a lot of killing (the Crusades/Hitler?etc), the Koran/Quran/etc has also been used to support killing a bunch of folks for thousands of years as well.

The real message of the Bible is love, but what Broussard was saying is that he doesn't agree with the lifestyle, and Bubba backed him up. They have that right to say that even though a lot of people disagree. I get where you are coming from but the Bible also expresses more freedom than any Constitution, Manifesto, etc out there as well.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bubba is a thumper. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care either way what people do but why are people who express their views against something viewed as bad people when the same could be said for people whose views support something. It is their opinion just as it is yours to support it. The media is so driven towards anti religion its crazy. Tebow catches crap for being such an open christian who doesnt do anything wrong off the field and Collins gets praise for coming out... It is a twisted situation. Bubba doesnt support it and thats his opinion and people jump on him for it.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but I think the way that man has used the book is not exactly how God intended. You also forgot a lot of killing (the Crusades/Hitler?etc), the Koran/Quran/etc has also been used to support killing a bunch of folks for thousands of years as well.

The real message of the Bible is love, but what Broussard was saying is that he doesn't agree with the lifestyle, and Bubba backed him up. They have that right to say that even though a lot of people disagree. I get where you are coming from but the Bible also expresses more freedom than any Constitution, Manifesto, etc out there as well.

These are some really good points, and I honestly agree with most everything here. I have nothing against the Bible, and actually believe in it for what it is - a multi-man written book, edited and translated by man over centuries, but all the while still written in the spirit of God with his aide.

What I don't like is how people use certain parts of it literal sense to support their own agendas. I'm sure Bubba never had premarital sex. But if he did its ok, because his sex was somehow less sinfull than Collins. Etc...

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Bubba, but can't support him on this one. Chris Broussard recently gave his negative views on Jason Collins coming out of the closet.

True, Bubba never came out and flat out said anything bad about Collins. But reading in between the lines in his tweet isn't difficult. His tweet showed support for religious views and the Bible...

hmm.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I'm not gay or a liberal, so this is not about my political view or sexual orientation. So, my problem with this is that Jason Collins was not giving an opinion or a belief (although, you could say it was intended). He was giving a factual story to a magazine. You can ask "who cares", but, again, he was relaying a life story. My question is, who cares what BW or CB have to say in response to the SI article? I don't ask for BW's opinion on what to eat, how to raise my kids or the best position when fucking my wife. Bubba should worry about Bubba. :yahoo:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Judge not, that you be not judged." Matthew 7:1

There are several more with similar messages. I am not a Christian and do not believe in god. However, if you are going to blindly follow a holy book, you should know what it says. There is one oft cited verse "condemning" homosexuality, in the same book that declares eating pork bad. Several state that judgement is for god and god alone.

The overall message of Christianity isn't a bad one, and with some exceptions I find I follow the bulk of its teachings because they're the kinds of things decent people do. But hating someone based on a distorted view of a book is insane.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several more with similar messages. I am not a Christian and do not believe in god. However, if you are going to blindly follow a holy book, you should know what it says. There is one oft cited verse "condemning" homosexuality, in the same book that declares eating pork bad. Several state that judgement is for god and god alone.

I would definitely call myself a Christian and do follow the Bible, but all of the information that is often cited is used for man's purpose, not God's...which kind of makes sense but man often twists the information around pretty good. The oft cited passage (Leviticus) and oft cited Old Testament stuff about food and even working on the Sabbath...well let's take a bit of a look, the original reasoning for the food was that shellfish and pork and such were not cleaned very well, so the Bible was giving instructions not to eat it back then (such as 500 BC or essentially 2500 years ago) cause they would get sick from it.

The New Testament wiped that out to be honest, by then they knew how to clean, how to fight ailments better, etc. So it became safe to eat pork, shellfish, etc. Will let you google that if you really want.

There are also NT passages on homosexuality as well, will let you google those. I totally follow the Bible as much as I can. I am a big sinner and will never claim perfection, it is more a lifestyle of trying to follow those instructions and not throw stones at others than it is portrayed. It is one of those things that most Christians do not comprehend because they end up being sheep and not thinking.

It's hard to be a Christian who leads by example when you are surrounded by so many idiot "Christians" who have no clue...just my 2 cents on this. I do appreciate the opinions of everyone, do feel it is up to you to believe in what you want.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the way, the Sabbath of the Bible was Saturday, not Sunday, but the intent of it was to rest and be in the word of God, something I fail at every week myself, God knew you had to do certain things such as cook and the like on the Sabbath, yet another area where folks take this and turn it around to their own use.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Furthermore... Everyone who has posted in this thread is more intelligent than Bubba.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good discussion guys. Happy to see that so far it has stayed respectful. You don't always get that when religion or politics are involved.

Cheers.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Judge not, that you be not judged." Matthew 7:1

The overall message of Christianity isn't a bad one, and with some exceptions I find I follow the bulk of its teachings because they're the kinds of things decent people do. But hating someone based on a distorted view of a book is insane.

Out of curiosity do believe in morals or ethics? What would be the basis? I am not looking for an argument, just wondering.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good discussion guys. Happy to see that so far it has stayed respectful. You don't always get that when religion or politics are involved.

Cheers.

Kinda reminds me of a post-round discussion with a bunch of beers and the game on.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Watson is just another religious lunatic. His bigotry is hardly surprising.