• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns Sign Young and Thigpen

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cleveland Browns signed veteran quarterbacks Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen, general manager Ray Farmer announced Thursday
Young and Thigpen both participated in the Browns' three-day minicamp that started Tuesday.
Young was not in the league last season, and Farmer said earlier this week he wanted to see him perform and that the minicamp tryout was the best way.
The Browns needed to add a veteran to back up Brian Hoyer, who is penciled in as the starter heading into this season but is coming off knee surgery. Other than Hoyer, the only quarterback on Cleveland's roster is Alex Tanney, who was signed late last season as the Browns were hit hard by injuries at quarterback.
Young last played in the NFL for the Eagles in 2011, though he was with the Packers during the preseason in 2013. Thigpen played in four games for Buffalo in 2012.
Both fit the play-action rollout system that offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has run.
Thigpen has played in 29 games in six seasons, completing 54 percent of his passes with 21 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.
Young made 50 starts between 2006 and 2011. He completed 57.9 percent of his passes with 46 touchdowns and 51 interceptions. He is 31-19 as a starter and twice made the Pro Bowl.
The Browns on Thursday also signed linebacker Zac Diles, who spent parts of the last two seasons with Tennessee.

Vince Young to sign with Cleveland Browns - ESPN

Drafting a QB debate in Cleveland over? :noidea:

Doubtful

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just hang a giant banner on their stadium that says: "QB Tryouts Year-Round"

Go Browns

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet the Browns still have no qb of starting caliber on their roster.........

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer maybe? If he can stay on the field that is.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet the Browns still have no qb of starting caliber on their roster.........

Guess you didn't watch the Browns the first 4-5 games last season. Hoyer definitely proved himself worthy.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its the Texas bias in me - but I still think Young can play. You don't go from being an all-world college NC winner; to a Rookie of the Year type player; to a multi pro bowl player - and then just not know how to play football anymore. I've gotta think he'll mature up at some point and still be able to get it done (even if as a backup).

Afa the Browns are concerned:

I don't know if there is a single true game changer at QB in this year's draft. Bortles/Carr... maybe. But every one has potential bust written all over them. I was one of the few hitting the Browns board criticizing them once they used a very valuable pick on Weeden.

I hope they go qb early, cause it leaves more good players for my team. But they shouldn't imo. Roll with what you got and pick the talented players at other positions.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played DE and a little TE in high school. Should I go tryout for the Cleveland Browns QB job?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its the Texas bias in me - but I still think Young can play. You don't go from being an all-world college NC winner; to a Rookie of the Year type player; to a multi pro bowl player - and then just not know how to play football anymore. I've gotta think he'll mature up at some point and still be able to get it done (even if as a backup).

Afa the Browns are concerned:

I don't know if there is a single true game changer at QB in this year's draft. Bortles/Carr... maybe. But every one has potential bust written all over them. I was one of the few hitting the Browns board criticizing them once they used a very valuable pick on Weeden.

I hope they go qb early, cause it leaves more good players for my team. But they shouldn't imo. Roll with what you got and pick the talented players at other positions.

It absolutely blows me away that Tim Tebow was given more of a chance in this league than VY. How do you go from videogame poster boy to out of the league for the last two seasons? You mean to tell me VY isn't better than Gabbert or ANY backup QB in this league? Sorry, not buyin it!

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with VY is simple:

He quit on his team. More than once.

When you don't want to go back in the game because the home fans are booing, sorry, but you simply lack the mental toughness it takes to be a QB in the NFL. And these were Tennessee fans. They're fucking tame! Philly, NY fans would eat that boy alive!

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you don't want to go back in the game because the home fans are booing, sorry, but you simply lack the mental toughness it takes to be a QB in the NFL. And these were Tennessee fans. They're fucking tame! Philly, NY fans would eat that boy alive!

I agree. However, that stuff is maturity. It is fixable. Not saying it is or will be fixed - but it can be. Simply not having the talent (i.e. Weeden) is tough to overcome.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. However, that stuff is maturity. It is fixable. Not saying it is or will be fixed - but it can be. Simply not having the talent (i.e. Weeden) is tough to overcome.

Yeah, there is never an argument against VYs talent. Funny that Hammer mentioned Tebow. If you could put Tebow's mentality into VY's body, you'd have one badass QB!

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Problems solved! Good job browns.....

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I totally understand. Trust me, I felt every bit of it when it happened. He betrayed the coach, his teammates and the fans. He totally lost it.

I don't think he's that same person. Listen, Vince is dumb as shit, we all know that. I'm not suggesting he's the man to lead most teams. But let's face it, Vince is capable of being the Browns starting QB and it would build some excitement among those fans. Same goes for the Jags. Allot of teams could do allot worse than drafting QB in the first round and signing Vince as a backup.

Rumble Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vince Young still has gas in the tank. One of my clients told me that VY is looking to rent a HUD home in Cleveland in anticipation of being the starting QB

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would agree that VY is good enough to be on and NFL roster and on the right team but the dude is almost certainly never going to be starting QB material because he's just never shown the smarts to do it.

His athleticism was good enough that when surrounded by some talent he was able to win some games against bad to average teams but athleticism alone won't beat the great defenses you face in the playoffs which ultimately has doomed him in the league.