• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brooklyn Nets vs. Golden State Warriors to be played without fans.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and the Jazz were losing rebounding, 11-1, early in the game. They kept letting the Lakers get offensive rebounds.

I'm not sure why a team with Malone, Eaton, couldn't do better. I see that they were 20th in offensive rebound %, and 16th in defensive rebound %. So this was obviously a weakness, and something they hopefully addressed in the offseason.

Hopefully I don't keep face palming myself at all of the 2nd chance points given up, due to rebounding, in this game.

I don't know what's worse, giving up points due to bad rebounding, or due to turnovers. Both are bad to watch.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if I've seen a game with Eaton before, so this is also new.

Given that he's 31; not rebounding that great; and shooting 41% from the field, he doesn't seem like he should be starting. Outside of some blocked shots, the Jazz need more up front. Hopefully they were able to find a younger, better rebounding center, in the offseason.

Eaton seemed like one of those guys that started because that's what teams did at the time, but probably shouldn't have been a starting center, if the Jazz wanted to be really good.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to Eaton.

I understand he spent his entire career with the Jazz, and fans liked him.

But he only made 1 All-Star, and that was with a 10.9 PER. A 15 PER is supposed to be that for an average player.

Someone like Dikembe Mutombo and Marcus Camby were much better players.

If I'm looking at a team that is below average in rebounding, and a playoffs game in which they struggled rebounding, and my center isn't a great rebounder (while having other holes too), I'd want to get better at that position.

Yes, rebounding is a team effort. But I'd first start with the center, then look at how else to improve the rebounding.

Forget about how this team has young stars. This could have been as good of a chance as any, if they would have had better rebounding. And you don't know what will happen in the playoffs in the future, so can't say that they have a long window. Well, we do actually do know, there were several years with early losses. So that's why if the opportunity is now, then they should try to get better, as long as they can still keep their young stars.

And having a 26 year old Thurl Bailey is pretty cool too. I like the youth and speed these guys play with.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz scored 8 points in the first, which was then a record for fewest points in a quarter in a playoffs game.

During the broadcast of game 2, the joke is that the Dodgers 12 runs, during the night of game 1, is more points than the Jazz scored in the first quarter of their playoffs game (8 points).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 2:

Malone didn't attempt his first shot until less than 5 minutes in the first. He missed it. Stockton had 4 points before Malone took his first shot.

He did have 7 points by the end of the first.

But just like in game 1, I was trying to figure out why he wasn't featured like I would later be accustomed to.

After observation, it's because Hansen and Bailey were usually on Stockton's strong side of the ball. Most of the time, Malone seemed to be on the weak side of the ball. Not sure why that was, but knowing how much better the Jazz offense would be in the mid to late 90s, this seems like an under-usage.

There wasn't a "Stockton to Malone" on a set play until late in the first half. Which again, seems weird.

There were a few Malone to Stockton attempts before that, as Stockton continued to take perimeter shots if the initial attempt by someone else was unsuccessful.

Mark Eaton was better in game 2. 7 blocks in the first half, and one of them was definitely the demoralizing kind, as he blocked it right after Abdul-Jabbar caught the ball.

He defended the hook shot very well.

I'm not sure if I've seen a playoffs game with blocks in a half. I know I've seen a few 10 block games, but not sure if 7 of those came in a half. Maybe.

I like Bob Hansen.

Mark Iavaroni was tied for the leading scorer at the half, with 12 points. That was close to his playoffs career high, as he wasn't a scorer.

Even at this point in Malone's career, I still don't like watching him shoot free throws. He hits every part of the rim, and makes me nervous. Compare that to Stockton, who swishes it, as expected.

The Jazz lead for most of the game, and even answered a mini late surge, so can't complain too much about this kind of a win. Some of my observations were just comparing this team, with future Jazz teams.

Jerry Sloan, as an assistant coach, got a technical. Byron Scott missed the free throw. Ball don't lie.

There was a lot of conversation about Frank Layden saying that "the Lakers would win in 4 or 5 games". But, the broadcasters pointed out that he said the same thing during the Portland series, and did acknowledge that his statement wasn't meant to be a demoralizing one. It was meant to keep the team loose and not put too much pressure on them.

He obviously wanted to win. It was just both a way of relieving some pressure, and a way to keep the team focused and motivated on the opponent.

For what it's worth, I've also heard Don Nelson say that he liked his teams coming out loose. For example, he would encourage a star player to take an early 3-pointer, because he didn't want a player to be too tight mentally. He wanted them to feel free.

I think Layden came from a similar mindset. He could have taken the other approach, which would be to focus on the 2-32 record (if I remember correctly) the Jazz had at the Forum. But that would be more negative. I think his approach was more about having the team band together, in a sort of reverse psychology way.

Jerry Sloan is more hard nosed, so it's probably a good contrast to have a different personality, before Sloan would take over.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find game 3.

Looks like I have to jump to game 4.

I don't know who won game 3. They'll probably say during game 4.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll comment on game 4 later.

I uploaded these two videos from the game.

Johnson had JUST re-entered the game, and immediately committed the backcourt violation.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This both makes Stockton look good, because he never takes a play off on defense. That's why I like him on defense.

And it makes Johnson look bad, as he can't even dribble the ball past halfcourt without turning it over. And it's like "hello, this is how you show you're a leader, and prepared, and ready to come into the game?" for Johnson.

And it's like "hello, this is how you show you're a leader, and prepared, and ready to assault the enemy, even when they make a substitution", for Stockton.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Layden thought he could get more calls, if he combed his hair like Riley.

I wonder if he said something like that, during one of the exchanges. Maybe he said it through non verbal connection, and that's what he meant, when he took out the comb.

I wonder if Layden can then get a comb sponsorship. That could be his signature, during timeouts.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 4:

The Jazz lead in the first half.

In the 2nd half, Eaton picked up his 4th foul early.

The Jazz went from a 9 point lead to a double digit deficit, in that quarter.

Losing Eaton hurt, but I'm not sure if he was as helpful as it seemed either, as Abdul-Jabbar had 27 points on 9-13 shooting.

Malone also had 2 offensive fouls in the first half.

So even though the Jazz were leading in the first half, it felt like they should have been winning by more, and when they weren't and the Lakers came back, they didn't have an answer.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finishing up a few more thoughts on game 4, then getting to game 5.

Game 4:

The Jazz were leading by 6 or 7 near the end of the first, then gave up a 5-0 run.

Near the end of the 2nd, they again had a decent lead, and again gave up a run.

So that's another reason why at halftime, it felt like if the Jazz had been able to keep up their level of play, they should have been leading by more. So the lead at halftime wasn't as big as it should have been.

Game 5:

Just before halftime, here was commentary by Chick Hearn (paraphrased):

"Stockton is getting his hands on almost every ball in this game. He has the most steals and deflections".

Near the end of the game:

"Regardless of if he wins or loses this series, Stockton is the MVP of this series. He is getting a lot of assists, and on defense getting a deflection or steal every time."

Other thoughts:

* This was the first game to start with a Stockton to Malone bucket for the Jazz. Not sure why every other game had Malone going several minutes before attempting a shot.

Stockton did continue his early first quarter scoring, though.

This kind of reminds me of DeAndre Jordan getting the ball and scoring to start Clippers games. Someone who is not a main offensive scorer, taking a few shots early and setting the tone. Maybe it's to make defenders conscious of that ability, so they will be on their toes, and have to think about that later on.

Stockton makes most of these, but it's so interesting to see him take these early in the game.

* Malone had a problem with offensive fouls again.

* Mark Eaton has been great from the foul line. 16/18 in the series, near the end of game 5.

* Eaton picked up his 6th foul on a moving screen. He had a few of those in this game.

Shortly afterward, Abdul-Jabbar picked up his 6th foul.

* Cooper hit the game winner. It was his first basket of the game.

Here's some videos I uploaded, and why I picked them:

1) Stockton rotates to Michael Cooper, then leaps on defense. That leap stood out to me, and I paused it right there. I didn't even care what happened afterwards.

But I think it's rare for players to rotate, and then leap to try and obstruct a pass. Most players just don't keep up that type of defensive awareness and intensity. They might rotate, but not make that extra leap. But that's what I liked about his defense. He did everything he could on every possession on defense.

Eventually, I did capture what happened afterwards. Stockton helped initiate a deflection, the Jazz recovered the ball, and Stockton made a jumper. But as I said, that was inconsequential to me, I almost wasn't even going to record that part.

It was that leap to me, which caused an extra delay in the pass from Cooper to Abdul-Jabbar. That delay then lead to a swarm of hands at the ball, which caused the deflection, which caused the Jazz to recover the ball.

2) Stockton blows by Michael Cooper and makes a layup, and free throw. Early in the 4th.

It surprised me, because I wasn't expecting it. Don't see this as much from him. But shows he has the ball handling skills and awareness to do it. And it's against Cooper, who had a defensive reputation.

3) Karl Malone over the shoulder pass to Bailey. This was late in the 4th.

I love big men who can pass. Usually I think of a Malone shovel pass to a cutter, but this over the shoulder one is probably another staple of his too.

I've said before that sometimes I like Malone to Stockton even more than Stockton to Malone.

4) Malone blocks and steals against Abdul-Jabbar. Great defense, late in the 4th.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted 4 videos from game 5. No comments?

How can I post about games 6 and 7 without getting feedback or closure on game 5?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted 4 videos from game 5. No comments?

How can I post about games 6 and 7 without getting feedback or closure on game 5?

You posted that on June 4th. It’s not even June 1st yet.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You posted that on June 4th. It’s not even June 1st yet.

;) Are you going to give me any thoughts on that recap or videos?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finished watch Jazz vs. Lakers about a month ago, but didn't comment on it. I kept hoping @MHSL82 would tell me how good my game 5 recap was, with those videos, but he didn't.

Here are some leftover thoughts, including from some previous games:

Game 4: In addition to Stockton tying Johnson's record with 24 assists in a playoffs game, Stockton also had 5 steals in the first half.

Game 6: Utah lead for most of the game. Malone continues to have offensive fouls.

Eaton had his first bad free throw shooting game.

Bob Hansen: This is why he's my new favorite player. He was versatile enough to guard Johnson on one possession, and screen out Abdul-Jabbar on offense on another possession. He did whatever it took to win games.

He also went 10/11 from the field with 3 assists and 2 steals in game 6.

Game 7: Rebounding was horrible for the Jazz, similar to game 1 and 5.

Stockton and Malone played 48 minutes each.

Malone and Hansen kept bricking free throws.

On a night when Stockton went 8/8 from the foul line, and his teammates were bricking free throws, I wish he had gone 17/17.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this was Utah's best team in the playoffs, compared to later years.

Stockton was better now, and the Jazz were deeper with Hansen, Bailey, and Eaton.

Stockton averaged 16 assists and 4 steals in the series.

Malone wasn't as good at this point, though.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll comment on game 4 later.

I uploaded these two videos from the game.

Johnson had JUST re-entered the game, and immediately committed the backcourt violation.

Someone on YouTube commented on the first clip, and corrected me that it was Michael Cooper that committed the backcourt violation, not Johnson.

They were right.

The clip also showed a shot of Johnson early in the clip, so I think that screwed me up.

I updated the title, and the thumbnail picture, to reflect Cooper.