• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Special Teams

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is interesting to consider what happened on the Broncos special teams the last few years - considering the Special Teams coach McMahon is always retained. This begs the question - if the special team performance or lack of performance wasn't due to coaching - what was it due to?

The answer is the Broncos were out of personnel balance on special teams - with many more defensive player participants than offense participants. Where it matters is when you have a lot of injuries on defense and the next guy up to start is a top special team performer. The Broncos roster design created the problem that defense starters injured and filled by special team starters - affects both the defensive performance and the special team performance. The way to mitigate that risk from happening - you build a special team roster equally chosen from offensive players and defensive players. Then if you have a rash of injuries on one side of the ball it doesn't also decimate your special teams cohesion.

This is why the Broncos are loaded up with large fast WRs - who can block downfield to support the run game and the return game.

It is a small item, but one I think Paton should get credit for addressing.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really got some help on coverage units this offseason I can assure you that. Should be better all around this year on those units.

One thing to note on our offense. We have potentially 10/11 of the same starters starting this year for us on offense. That is rare...

RT and possibly QB would be the only two we have someone different from last year starting. I am including Sutton who was hurt most of last year but he counts.