• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Screen Game

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope all you Broncos fans are enjoying Super Bowl week. I have to continue to pinch myself when I realize that our team is representing the AFC and playing the in the big game! It's absolutely awesome!

Although I have confidence that the Broncos can win this game, there is one area that troubles me when I think about our offense and the Seahawks defense. The Broncos have made a living this year out of the screen game. Whether a quick pass out to a WR in the flat or the safety net of dumping it off to Knowshon or Ball, the screen game has really helped to loosen up defenses this past year in both the run game, passing game and defensive tendency to blitz Manning.

I've watched a lot of the Seahawks games this year. IMO, they are the best team at defending the screen pass. Their defenders are so quick to the ball and they gang tackle so well, it seems like screen passes lose yards every time.

They haven't faced the Broncos in this categorical area of course, but I'm assuming that they are going to be committed to shutting down this facet of our offense.

How do the rest of you Broncos fans feel about this. Am I concerned over something that won't be an issue? Will the Broncos adjust their approach knowing that Seattle will target this advantage? Other thoughts? I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks.

Anyway.....Go Broncos! Bring home Lombardi number 3!!! :yahoo:

MH64

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The screens are usually there due to either blitzes or coverage downfield. If Seattle decides to concentrate on them they will leave other areas of the field vulnerable unless they're allowed to play 13 defenders. They also overcommit, so Manning should be able to use that aggressiveness against them.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope all you Broncos fans are enjoying Super Bowl week. I have to continue to pinch myself when I realize that our team is representing the AFC and playing the in the big game! It's absolutely awesome!

Although I have confidence that the Broncos can win this game, there is one area that troubles me when I think about our offense and the Seahawks defense. The Broncos have made a living this year out of the screen game. Whether a quick pass out to a WR in the flat or the safety net of dumping it off to Knowshon or Ball, the screen game has really helped to loosen up defenses this past year in both the run game, passing game and defensive tendency to blitz Manning.

I've watched a lot of the Seahawks games this year. IMO, they are the best team at defending the screen pass. Their defenders are so quick to the ball and they gang tackle so well, it seems like screen passes lose yards every time.

They haven't faced the Broncos in this categorical area of course, but I'm assuming that they are going
to be committed to shutting down this facet of our offense.

How do the rest of you Broncos fans feel about this. Am I concerned over something that won't be an issue? Will the Broncos adjust their approach knowing that Seattle will target this advantage? Other thoughts? I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks.

Anyway.....Go Broncos! Bring home Lombardi number 3!!! :yahoo:

MH64

I pretty sure Denver has watched enough tape and, as you said, Seattles D has defended it well all yr and hopefully their very careful when and if they use it. Truthfully, I always cringe when I see it start to develop and I`m just thinking " please don`t let it be a pick 6"!! It scares the hell out of me everytime no doubt MH64

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the bandwagon is getting loaded.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?!? Broncos dominate the Patriots in the AFCCG and we STILL have Pats fans trolling?:lame:

Brady's touring the golf links now. Maybe you should stay on his bandwagon and join him while we discuss the Super Bowl.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?!? Broncos dominate the Patriots in the AFCCG and we STILL have Pats fans trolling?:lame:

Brady's touring the golf links now. Maybe you should stay on his bandwagon and join him while we discuss the Super Bowl.

I was not trolling at all, just making an observation. Apparently you do not understand what trolling is and what the objective of trolling is. But congrats on the win and good luck in the Superbowl hope you all win.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not trolling at all, just making an observation. Apparently you do not understand what trolling is and what the objective of trolling is. But congrats on the win and good luck in the Superbowl hope you all win.

You're "observation" implied that we are bandwagon Broncos fans, which is insulting, and far from the truth.

Perhaps you should read over your posts before hitting "Submit Reply" if you don't want to appear to be trolling.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're "observation" implied that we are bandwagon Broncos fans, which is insulting, and far from the truth.

Perhaps you should read over your posts before hitting "Submit Reply" if you don't want to appear to be trolling.

Tell you what, if the win and I feel they will lets see if membership of Bronco fans increases.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more worried about the crossing routes or those quick 5-7 yard throws where Welker sits in a gap. It seems those are the plays that open up the offense because Thomas running at full speed, even lateral to the line of scrimmage, is a beast to stop and punishes the secondary if they have to help the line backers stop him.

So I am wondering what defensive scheme Seattle will use to disrupt those quick crossing routes where they rub the defender many time. If they can successfully stop them, I am very worried because throwing downfield against their corners is risky - especially outdoors in a cold stadium where Peyton has been know to throw some floaters.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you what, if the win and I feel they will lets see if membership of Bronco fans increases

That is pretty much a given. Happens to every team but there are two issues here. The first, most bandwagon fans do not jump onto sports forums to yap, that is a mostly die-hard fan area. You are running your mouth for no reason. Second, if there is any fan base that is comprised of bandwagon fans it is the patriots. Like Barkley said, when Belichick and Brady are gone (which will happen sooner rather than later, Brady is 36 and Belichick will probably leave with him) your team is going to suck. Your fans are not going to know what to do after having Belichick and Brady for all this time.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the bandwagon is getting loaded.

As the OP for this thread, I'll assume that you are somehow implying that I'm a bandwagon fan. I've been a loyal and diehard fan of the Denver Broncos since the early 70's. No doubt I can't prove that to you nor do I feel compelled to. I'm not sure what your motivation is behind your comment but I also don't particularly care.

Back to the original topic......I think the early quarters of the game will favor the defenses. They will be flying to the ball and committed to stopping what each opposing offense does best. In this case for the Broncos, it's the short passing game and screens out of the backfield or in the flat. The Broncos may start slow in this area since the Seattle D will be ready for it. However, Peyton and the offense will eventually get into a rhythm and hopefully will find ways to exploit what the defense is giving them.

Similarly, I feel like the Broncos D will commit a lot to stopping Marshawn Lynch. If Seattle stays committed to their running game, it may begin to wear down the Broncos run stopping abilities in the 4th quarter and spring Lynch for a few big runs.

I see the first half as being very physical for both teams trying to establish their game plan but that will be coupled with figuring out each opposing defense. The 2nd half should be wild after that. Like most, I see this as a very close game being decided in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. Go Broncos!

MH64

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the OP for this thread, I'll assume that you are somehow implying that I'm a bandwagon fan. I've been a loyal and diehard fan of the Denver Broncos since the early 70's. No doubt I can't prove that to you nor do I feel compelled to. I'm not sure what your motivation is behind your comment but I also don't particularly care.

Back to the original topic......I think the early quarters of the game will favor the defenses. They will be flying to the ball and committed to stopping what each opposing offense does best. In this case for the Broncos, it's the short passing game and screens out of the backfield or in the flat. The Broncos may start slow in this area since the Seattle D will be ready for it. However, Peyton and the offense will eventually get into a rhythm and hopefully will find ways to exploit what the defense is giving them.

Similarly, I feel like the Broncos D will commit a lot to stopping Marshawn Lynch. If Seattle stays committed to their running game, it may begin to wear down the Broncos run stopping abilities in the 4th quarter and spring Lynch for a few big runs.

I see the first half as being very physical for both teams trying to establish their game plan but that will be coupled with figuring out each opposing defense. The 2nd half should be wild after that. Like most, I see this as a very close game being decided in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. Go Broncos!

MH64

You cared enough to reply! And you needn't prove your fandom all I was saying or implying is that IMO the Donks are going to win and the board may get inundated with NEW Donks fans claiming to be long time DONK fans. I saw it with the Pats

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you what, if the win and I feel they will lets see if membership of Bronco fans increases.

We have been there recently. You must have missed the amount of bandwagoners that both entered and exited depending on which side of the Tebow Experience we are talking about.

lol

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the Original Topic of the thread....I am of the opinion that we will use the screen game to slow down the pass rush of the Seahawks early, and then hit them with crossing routes and the occasional deep ball.

This is setting up to be a fantastic chess match.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the Original Topic of the thread....I am of the opinion that we will use the screen game to slow down the pass rush of the Seahawks early, and then hit them with crossing routes and the occasional deep ball.

This is setting up to be a fantastic chess match.

Off topic I know, but whose college team flinches first.....yours or mine?

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic I know, but whose college team flinches first.....yours or mine?

We have a tough schedule coming up, starting Saturday with the Dukies coming to the Carrier Dome. I wouldn't be shocked to see us fall then....especially if Ennis' ankle is not 100% after tonight.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a tough schedule coming up, starting Saturday with the Dukies coming to the Carrier Dome. I wouldn't be shocked to see us fall then....especially if Ennis' ankle is not 100% after tonight.

Our game last night was way too close for my comfort....ha! It's possible we lose to Cal this weekend. No matter what though, it's been GREAT, and I expect both to have #1 seeds come March.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I would love to see us face off in the Title Game. I have always respected your Coach. I am an old school Big East fan, and he was a great Point Guard back in the day......

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I would love to see us face off in the Title Game. I have always respected your Coach. I am an old school Big East fan, and he was a great Point Guard back in the day......

We were very fortunate to follow a Class act like Lute Olsen with another Class act in Miller. Took a couple seasons, but I like the result. Of course Syracuse has enjoyed coaching longevity too.