• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Coaching

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our OLine comes down to personal more so then coaching... The sad thing is... It is better then it has been in recent years but still has a ways to go. Sorta tired of musical RT.. Seems we have a new RT every year and our interior hasn't played well. Just very inconsistent overall. Bolles isn't playing as well as he did last year but he is playing better then he did the first 3 years of his career. Just overall inconsistent. Risner looked good as a rookie and has regressed a bit the last two years. Cushenberry looks ok, not great. Like we can plug him there but he may not be our long term C if he doesn't pick it up a bit. Glasgow is ok, just inconsistent and banged up and not worth the money we paid him. Probably somehwhat similar to Ronald Leary's time here. We just need consistency. We haven't had that in what we have now. Massie is a stop gap nearing the end, glad we signed him though after James went down because he has played about as well as you could expect with the expectations not being real high at his age.

chrisp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But surely a coach who's been here a while should have sufficient input on personnel to take at least some of the responsibility for it? And if good players appear to have gone backwards isn't that an indictment of the coaching to at least some extent? I think the best you could say about Munchak at this point is that he may not be the problem......but given enough time an elite coach should be the answer, surely?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is of course assuming they were good in the first place. Many players are known for 1-2 good years and never end up with consistency. You can't always blame player development on a coach. It is obviously a big influence but if you don't have the mindset, talent or work ethic only so much a coach can do for you. (Not saying that is the case with these guys.. I think Risner is a very hard worker) but sometimes the talent just isn't there. Bill Belichick can't turn Brian Hoyer into Tom Brady.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now I am most disappointed with Mike Munchak.

Guy is supposed to be a legit o-line genius, but from where I am looking the O-line remains the biggest weakness overall even after a few years where Mike would have had input on draft choices and free agency and has definitely had resources pushed his way in that area. Schumur is bad at playcalling and bad at fitting the scheme to the players he has rather than the players he wants, but overall I do think they players he has now - especially Teddy B - are a better fit for his offense than what he started with.

However, we can't protect the QB: 25 sacks in 8 games is horrific, on pace for 50+ sacks this season. And whilst the run game isn't ranked badly overall, its been very inconsistent - we tend to either get stuffed behind the line or go ten yards so that's leading to far too many third and long situations, which is a big part of why we are so awful on third down - teams with a better 3rd down %age tend to have a shorter average distance to go. And I can't help but feel this is more down to the line. Skill position players aren't perfect, they miss holes and drop passes from time to time but overall I can't help but feel the line is the bigger problem.

.....and i was so pumped when we landed Munchak - felt it was a coup, and that it meant we were guaranteed a solid o-line in a few years time regardless of scheme or coaching elsewhere. I think a solid O-line will solidify any scheme and make it reasonably successful. However the o-line doesn't seem to be any better than it was when Munchak joined a few years back.

Tell me I'm wrong. Please. I want to believe the o-line will be magically fixed somehow, or is somehow not the main problem but I'm struggling. I'm almost beginning to wonder if Dennison might have been better because then Kubiak may have stayed and at least we'd have scheme consistency......that's how desparate and disappointed I am.

WHY IS OUR LINE STILL SO BAD???
I’ve had some similar thoughts this year. “Paging Coach Munchak, come in!”

I’m most peeved that he hasn’t taken up the cause to get Fant to block at a third grade level.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve had some similar thoughts this year. “Paging Coach Munchak, come in!”

I’m most peeved that he hasn’t taken up the cause to get Fant to block at a third grade level.
Same but, I wonder with Vic throwing coaches under bus at almost every presser maybe he's just going through the motions. Maybe its not a great coaches environment at Dove Valley anymore. Purely guessing though

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same but, I wonder with Vic throwing coaches under bus at almost every presser maybe he's just going through the motions. Maybe its not a great coaches environment at Dove Valley anymore. Purely guessing though
Time to dump Vic... Yet another "great coordinator, lousy HC" to add to the heap.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can’t make heads or tails of our coaches. Final straw was when I saw Von Miller covering Chase Claypool. Might’ve been the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen
Do you suppose Miller’s lack of coverage skill was his ticket out of Denver? :drum:

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our OLine comes down to personal more so then coaching... The sad thing is... It is better then it has been in recent years but still has a ways to go. Sorta tired of musical RT.. Seems we have a new RT every year and our interior hasn't played well. Just very inconsistent overall. Bolles isn't playing as well as he did last year but he is playing better then he did the first 3 years of his career. Just overall inconsistent. Risner looked good as a rookie and has regressed a bit the last two years. Cushenberry looks ok, not great. Like we can plug him there but he may not be our long term C if he doesn't pick it up a bit. Glasgow is ok, just inconsistent and banged up and not worth the money we paid him. Probably somehwhat similar to Ronald Leary's time here. We just need consistency. We haven't had that in what we have now. Massie is a stop gap nearing the end, glad we signed him though after James went down because he has played about as well as you could expect with the expectations not being real high at his age.
This is a great post DC. I see the same things.
Though you made it before the Cowboys game, I wonder if getting Anderson and Bolles to be bookend tackles is feasible. Glasgow now seems done. Meinerz to RG.

What do you make of Cushenberry? Too much of a marshmallow? Tom Nalen spoiled us at C.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great post DC. I see the same things.
Though you made it before the Cowboys game, I wonder if getting Anderson and Bolles to be bookend tackles is feasible. Glasgow now seems done. Meinerz to RG.

What do you make of Cushenberry? Too much of a marshmallow? Tom Nalen spoiled us at C.
Meinerz is the future Center and Muti at guard.