• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brewpot problem

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I brewed a batch the other day and in the process of cleaning I put PBW in my brewpot with water and then I started clean in everything else. Before I could finish my wife called to remind me that I was supposed to bring lunch to the kids school for them, I left from their to go to work. When I got home, I remembered about my pot so I checked on it. I emptied out the solution and now the inside of my pot is discolored. I used a 7.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer. Should I stop us in it a but a new brewpot or is it still ok to use the one I have?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Different subject, but on the same topic, the batch I brewed was on Monday, checked it today and the krausen has already dropped. The temp stayed 68-71 so within range for the yeast (US04), so not sure why it dropped so quickly. I still get some bubbles out of the airlock, so there is still some fermentation happening. Not really worried just wondering if it because it is a lower gravity beer or if it is the yeast.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brewed a batch the other day and in the process of cleaning I put PBW in my brewpot with water and then I started clean in everything else. Before I could finish my wife called to remind me that I was supposed to bring lunch to the kids school for them, I left from their to go to work. When I got home, I remembered about my pot so I checked on it. I emptied out the solution and now the inside of my pot is discolored. I used a 7.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer. Should I stop us in it a but a new brewpot or is it still ok to use the one I have?

It's probably my fine crow. If it irks you, buy (or make) solutions to polish and clean metals like that.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would never brew in anything other than 304 stainless or better (better is way more expensive). Aluminum should not be used as a boil kettle.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would never brew in anything other than 304 stainless or better (better is way more expensive). Aluminum should not be used as a boil kettle.

Thank you for the input, but I am not entirely sure you answered my question. It is good that you only use stainless, that is probably the best way to go, but I am but a poor schlub and can not afford that, so I brew in my aluminum turkey fryer. Possibly one day I will be able to upgrade to a stainless pot, but not today, then again, if I have no problems with aluminum, maybe I won't change.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can scrub it out and then boil water in it for awhile. Should be okay to use.

I did chuckle when you said youre poor, but you use expensive PBW. I never do... just cheap oxygen cleaner for me.

I'm with wartyOne. Go stainless and be healthier.

here is a $91 11-gallon stainless pot with free shipping
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FTLY1K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000FTLY1K&linkCode=as2&tag=hombrefin-20]Amazon.com : Bayou Classic 1144 44-Quart All Purpose Stainless Steel Stockpot with Steam and Boil Basket : Stainless Steel Stock : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

And I'm sure you know by now, that fermentation was fine. Lower gravity beers finish quicker.