• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brendan Ferns retires

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently due to injuries. The kid's body has really never let him play.

"West Virginia linebacker Brendan Ferns announced his retirement from football on social media Wednesday"

"However, Ferns was never seen during West Virginia’s three spring practices that were open to the media. Coach Neal Brown noted that Ferns had not been medically cleared when asked about the linebacker’s status last week."

Mountaineers linebacker Ferns announces retirement from football - WV MetroNews

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel bad for the kid...he will be having knee replacement surgery within the next 15 years...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid is supposedly super smart. He is going to be successful.

It’s too bad his WVU football career never had a chance to take off. But, he’s made the best choice... sounds like he was cleared to play, but just didn’t feel like things were right.

Better to be safe...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe his brother left early for medical reasons also. Not everyone is built for this game. Both brothers did take advantage of their scholarships and gained some education.

It is a tough choice to make for athletes with NFL potential. Playing a game you love together with money and fame is a big motivator, but you have to consider that injuries and concussions are likely and the toll on a body lasts forever. As a parent, I would encourage my kid to choose education over football. I suspect the Ferns parents feel the same way.

Best of luck to him.