• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BREAKING: Paul Allen reported to be done negotiating with Kam

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam needs to put on his big boy pants, and get back to practice next week, and just accept that he made a stupid decision... If he's lucky the Seahawks will wave some of his fines...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its nice that the Hawks have an owner who is mostly hands off and lets the football people do their thing and intervenes only when absolutely necessary. This is probably a good time to intervene. Its a shame the baseball team doesn't have that same luxury.

You cant trade him at this point. You would be getting pennies on the dollar. He either takes whatever offer is on the table or we will see him Week 11 and then you can trade him in the off season.

If you trade him you reward him, Seahawks would still send the wrong message doing that... Who-ever picked him up he's gonna want more money and most likely would get it... It's clear Kam is only thinking about $ in this entire situation ... I don't think he cares where he plays

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you trade him you reward him,

And if you don't 'reward' him in some fashion, then you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. He either brings the team a reward by playing on the field, OR by bringing assets back who play on the field.

Some larger ideological victory doesn't help Seattle win football games.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone from the Seahawks organization or Mr Allen himself confirmed those words? I think it is BS unless verified.
PA is a behind the curtains owner, but I could see him make a public statement about Kam if he felt that way.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Checkmate by the Seahawks. ANY shred of hope that Kam had for them to meet his demands, just disappeared like a fart in the wind!

We get it, You want more money. Blame your LOLagent for not doing a better job negotiating your contract! Kam needs to fire his paint-huffing agent and report in. #GoHawks

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone from the Seahawks organization or Mr Allen himself confirmed those words? I think it is BS unless verified.
PA is a behind the curtains owner, but I could see him make a public statement about Kam if he felt that way.

Yeah. I don't buy it. I just don't think that Allen would tell JS how to approach this. I'm sure he trusts that if they decide to do something or not, the decision they make wil be about winning games, and not saving face, setting precedence or any other prideful agenda, just winning.

As soon as I heard this I thought it didn't sound right.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Releasing him this season will never happen. It'd be a $7.5M cap hit because you're forgetting the accelerated signing bonus. He's currently a $5.5M cap hit, so a release would never happen until next year. Kam would easily be traded ($3M cap hit) before he got released though, which I'd be fine with.
I also thought it was $7.5M but both spotrac and overthecap list it as a post 1 June number of right around $5.5M.

EDIT: And I think it's a $5.5M post 1 June because we'll split the $2M remaining SB proration over '16 & '17.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet! That's a good amount of cap freed up and we can sign a position far more important than what Kam brings (like D or O line). I was never really a huge Kam fan. Yah he makes some big hits and during the SBOWL set a tone (that really wasn't needed with our D-Line) but he's a COMPLETE product of Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, and our pass rush.

Not needed. I REALLY hope some dumb team gives up a 1st rounder for him, but I'd HAPPILY take a 2nd rounder.
For real? So you're saying Kam brings nothing to the table and it's all just everyone else? If that's the case, then I guess if Dion Bailey brings just a smidge of anything then we'll be better off with him than with Kam back there? That's craziness man. I'll give you that it's a case of one hand helping the other with all the talent we have on D, but Kam is the best SS in the league hands down. His career is probably on a HOF trajectory right now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For real? So you're saying Kam brings nothing to the table and it's all just everyone else? If that's the case, then I guess if Dion Bailey brings just a smidge of anything then we'll be better off with him than with Kam back there? That's craziness man. I'll give you that it's a case of one hand helping the other with all the talent we have on D, but Kam is the best SS in the league hands down. His career is probably on a HOF trajectory right now.

Okay I was a little out of line I admit. Kam is a great football player, but not worth more than he's making and certainly worth an earlier pick... especially with Bailey looking like a stud.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kam signed the deal i was shocked tbh,the agent failed him because i thought he should of got more to begin with.

Kam and his agent should back off and realize (I bet they do anyhow) that it is best not to poison the well because i am sure that the Hawks and Allen can/will work out something very good for him down the line and can plan accordingly with the numbers,cap space.
Felt the same way about Wagner's deal. Think bobby could have done so much better than he settled for. Hope he doesn't turn out to be Kam 2.0 in a couple of years.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only $2M of dead money outstanding and $1M of that will count in 2016 anyway. If he were to be traded or cut, (I know - it won't happen!), none of the dead money would accelerate into 2015. All that would happen is the $1M of dead money scheduled to count in 2017 would accelerate into 2016.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you don't 'reward' him in some fashion, then you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. He either brings the team a reward by playing on the field, OR by bringing assets back who play on the field.

Some larger ideological victory doesn't help Seattle win football games.

Your missing the bigger picture... If Kam get's traded and get's more money you might as well have restructured his contract... Because other player's are gonna do that same thing, remember most players can care less where they play.. SOME do care, but most don't ... Kam is not getting traded at this point, the Seahawks will let him sit out the entire year if he chooses...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only $2M of dead money outstanding and $1M of that will count in 2016 anyway. If he were to be traded or cut, (I know - it won't happen!), none of the dead money would accelerate into 2015. All that would happen is the $1M of dead money scheduled to count in 2017 would accelerate into 2016.
Link? Because this isn't close to what I saw on Over the Cap.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your missing the bigger picture... If Kam get's traded and get's more money you might as well have restructured his contract... Because other player's are gonna do that same thing, remember most players can care less where they play.. SOME do care, but most don't ... Kam is not getting traded at this point, the Seahawks will let him sit out the entire year if he chooses...

But if they let him sit out the entire year, it's based on the opportunity cost calculation that he's worth waiting a year to have him contributing back on the field next year.

The bigger picture is irrelevant if you cut him and get nothing in return.

That's cutting off your nose to spite the ol' mug.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what you're seeing at Overthecap and/or Spotrac but it requires interpretation. I can go through it with you if you want.
Just hit the trade option and see it's only a $3 million hit. Go ahead and run me thought it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if they let him sit out the entire year, it's based on the opportunity cost calculation that he's worth waiting a year to have him contributing back on the field next year.

The bigger picture is irrelevant if you cut him and get nothing in return.

That's cutting off your nose to spite the ol' mug.

He's not getting cut. Don't think anyone feels that could actually happen. Think the Seahawks will just wait him out, don't think it will take long the big question will his heart be in it after losing this battle?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hit the trade option and see it's only a $3 million hit. Go ahead and run me thought it.
What is being quoted as dead money is this year's salary, any current and pro-rata signing bonus money, any current year roster bonus/workout money, and any future guaranteed money. He won't get the $100K workout/roster bonus and there's no future guarantees so it's only 2015 salary and signing money. For salary purposes the cap runs the same as the NFL year - March to March. If he comes in tomorrow, breaks a leg in training, and is put on IR then he'll get his $4.55M salary and all of it will count towards the cap this year. If he's cut or traded the new team will be responsible for all of the $4.55M or whatever they pay him. The signing bonus was originally $5M over 5 years so $1M counts each year. Obviously there's $3M left and $1M will count against the Seahawks this year regardless of whether he's with the team or not. All that's left is the future $2M which is scheduled to count $1M next year and $1M in 2017. For signing bonus purposes the cap does NOT run March to March. It used to run June 1st to June 1st but that date has now been changed to May 12th, (although neither Overthecap nor Spotrac has altered their web pages). Trading or cutting a player DOES accelerate dead money into the current year. However, we're in the 2015 season for salaries but the 2016 season for signing bonuses. So - should Chancellor move on all that would happen is the 2017 $1M hit would accelerate into 2016. Effectively it's no impact at all and as such it should have no input into any decision as to what happens with Chancellor.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is being quoted as dead money is this year's salary, any current and pro-rata signing bonus money, any current year roster bonus/workout money, and any future guaranteed money. He won't get the $100K workout/roster bonus and there's no future guarantees so it's only 2015 salary and signing money. For salary purposes the cap runs the same as the NFL year - March to March. If he comes in tomorrow, breaks a leg in training, and is put on IR then he'll get his $4.55M salary and all of it will count towards the cap this year. If he's cut or traded the new team will be responsible for all of the $4.55M or whatever they pay him. The signing bonus was originally $5M over 5 years so $1M counts each year. Obviously there's $3M left and $1M will count against the Seahawks this year regardless of whether he's with the team or not. All that's left is the future $2M which is scheduled to count $1M next year and $1M in 2017. For signing bonus purposes the cap does NOT run March to March. It used to run June 1st to June 1st but that date has now been changed to May 12th, (although neither Overthecap nor Spotrac has altered their web pages). Trading or cutting a player DOES accelerate dead money into the current year. However, we're in the 2015 season for salaries but the 2016 season for signing bonuses. So - should Chancellor move on all that would happen is the 2017 $1M hit would accelerate into 2016. Effectively it's no impact at all and as such it should have no input into any decision as to what happens with Chancellor.
So that 3 million cap hit would be spread out over three years? That helps, but where or how do you know this?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felt the same way about Wagner's deal. Think bobby could have done so much better than he settled for. Hope he doesn't turn out to be Kam 2.0 in a couple of years.

Good chance he will. But the alternative may be that we don't have him past this year. Couple weeks ago I posted a link to a Field gulls article that showed that the Hawks have less long term guarantees than any other team. Situations like this may very well become a regular byproduct of that.