• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News Gus Malzahn offered by UCF to be the next head coach

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I actually think UCF upgraded

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels like a lateral move at best.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it keep Auburn from paying him more $?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it keep Auburn from paying him more $?

I don't believe so. Gus is essentially making some good money right now doing a less stressed job.

How much will Malzahn's buyout cost?​

Malzahn's buyout following the conclusion of this season was $21.45 million.

Half of that total, or $10.275 million, is due within 30 days of termination, per the terms of his contract. The other half of the balance will paid in equal, annual installments of approximately $2.68 million over the next four years.
Malzahn is under no requirement to mitigate those payments, and the university has no right to offset those payments regardless of whether Malzahn accepts a new job elsewhere or not, meaning he is owed every penny of that money.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe so. Gus is essentially making some good money right now doing a less stressed job.
Thx for the info. So looks like Gus gets to have some cake and eat some too, if he wants to coach again.

Reactions: Eco

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I actually think UCF upgraded
I think it's a good move for UCF. He'll need a better QB, for what he wants to do, but he'll fit in better at
UCF than at Auburn. UCF players are more inclined to accept coaching. They usually have some decent size on
their OL and he'll want to run the ball. He also likes those scat backs and Florida is full of them.

On the down side if he has success he'll be gone by the 4th year.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thx for the info. So looks like Gus gets to have some cake and eat some too, if he wants to coach again.

It appears as if he's already accepted the job, so kudos to him for moving on.

Auburn still looks foolish to me about this whole extension, then firing, then unable to find a coach, to settling on some cat from Boise. Don't understand why programs big enough don't already have a coach in place when they fire their existing coach (like Texas and Sark)

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a good move for UCF. He'll need a better QB, for what he wants to do, but he'll fit in better at
UCF than at Auburn. UCF players are more inclined to accept coaching. They usually have some decent size on
their OL and he'll want to run the ball. He also likes those scat backs and Florida is full of them.

On the down side if he has success he'll be gone by the 4th year.
The only caveat is that he had a crapload of talent at Auburn. It gets obscured being overshadowed by Bama and (to a lesser degree) Georgia, but he had some top 5 rosters there. What will he do without those superior O-lines that were hugely responsible for establishing power running?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only caveat is that he had a crapload of talent at Auburn. It gets obscured being overshadowed by Bama and (to a lesser degree) Georgia, but he had some top 5 rosters there. What will he do without those superior O-lines that were hugely responsible for establishing power running?

This is true but the talent is relative. His talent might not be as good at UCF but instead of playing Alabama, Georgia and LSU, he's playing Memphis, SMU and Cincinnati.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true but the talent is relative. His talent might not be as good at UCF but instead of playing Alabama, Georgia and LSU, he's playing Memphis, SMU and Cincinnati.
It is, but his system requires specific TYPES of talent. And people need to remember that Malzahn did not get fired for failures against Bama. He had more success against them than any other SEC coach during his 8 years. He was fired for too many head-scratching losses to lesser teams.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is, but his system requires specific TYPES of talent. And people need to remember that Malzahn did not get fired for failures against Bama. He had more success against them than any other SEC coach during his 8 years. He was fired for too many head-scratching losses to lesser teams.

I'm not sure I buy that. He went 7-1 in the Sun Belt in year 1 at Arkansas State and he didn't have elite talent. He was a very effective OC at Tulsa and he didn't have elite talent. I think it's just a really hard time to be the Auburn coach. Alabama is having a historic run, Georgia is recruiting better than anyone in the country, LSU still has top tier talent, Aggy has a championship coach and is stacking top 10 classes, etc.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I buy that. He went 7-1 in the Sun Belt in year 1 at Arkansas State and he didn't have elite talent. He was a very effective OC at Tulsa and he didn't have elite talent. I think it's just a really hard time to be the Auburn coach. Alabama is having a historic run, Georgia is recruiting better than anyone in the country, LSU still has top tier talent, Aggy has a championship coach and is stacking top 10 classes, etc.
That’s fair. He has tended to do well in his first year. A decade or so ago he and Chip were ahead of the curve using hurry up and no huddle. People are used to it, though. His successful AU teams were beastly at the LOS.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears as if he's already accepted the job, so kudos to him for moving on.

Auburn still looks foolish to me about this whole extension, then firing, then unable to find a coach, to settling on some cat from Boise. Don't understand why programs big enough don't already have a coach in place when they fire their existing coach (like Texas and Sark)
Yeah, I totally don't get it, it's hard for me to believe that this guy is going to be as effective a recruiter as Gus in that region. And add in that this was a pandemic year, makes this look like a dubious decision.

Our program made similar mistakes, and ended up with a huge buyout for Muschamp (the King Of Buyouts). The rationale given was the apathy in the fanbase.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted in the SEC thread about how tough the SEC West is. LSU and Auburn have short cycles where they're competitive for the title, but week-to-week and year-over-year, the competition is just brutal. But for all that, Gus did have some huge victories over Bama. 3-6 might not look good to the faithful, but considering all the titles the Tide took during that time ....

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I totally don't get it, it's hard for me to believe that this guy is going to be as effective a recruiter as Gus in that region. And add in that this was a pandemic year, makes this look like a dubious decision.

Our program made similar mistakes, and ended up with a huge buyout for Muschamp (the King Of Buyouts). The rationale given was the apathy in the fanbase.
The SC fan base is one of the LEAST apathetic out there. They show up with enthusiasm even when they are losing.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but his skill and talent level at UCF will be superior to the teams they play. And the level of the youngster will not
be that of spoiled brats. Those kids come to UCF expecting to work and earn a position. I think he is better suited to coach
their type of player than a P5 level player.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pissed. Really hoped we could snag him once Fuente gets fired in November. Maybe we'll still be able to get him after a year at UCF.