• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brandel Chamblee vs Ian Poulter

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poulter make a fantastic bogey on 18. He was aiming at the pin on his 4th shot for sure.

That was a helluva shot for sure after shanking his 2nd. With nearly a million dollars (2nd place alone was over a mil I think) on the line and needed Fedex Pts...anywhere but left from that lie was the play I guess.

Chamblee has made himself the little bulldog willing to take on the tough topics...He might be right here, but IMO on that course I don't care if you are chasing...shooting at flags will COST you money...just too many sucker pins.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does anyone in pro golf "not play to win?"

I mean, some guys are aggressive and want to pummel the field, are comfortable with taking more risks, other guys just play their game and let the rest of the competitors shoot themselves in the foot.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a helluva shot for sure after shanking his 2nd. With nearly a million dollars (2nd place alone was over a mil I think) on the line and needed Fedex Pts...anywhere but left from that lie was the play I guess.

Chamblee has made himself the little bulldog willing to take on the tough topics...He might be right here, but IMO on that course I don't care if you are chasing...shooting at flags will COST you money...just too many sucker pins.

Seeing interviews with Poulter after the round, he seemed happier than Kim. I can't blame him for his strategy.
Chamblee deserves some credit for taking on the tough topics.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing interviews with Poulter after the round, he seemed happier than Kim. I can't blame him for his strategy.
Chamblee deserves some credit for taking on the tough topics.

I don't blame Poulter either....he's a vet. I'm sure he was looking at the boards and knew where he stood.

When you look at guys that were chasing...quite a few guys probably were too aggressive or just off a little bit and suffered...Sergio, Cantlay, Rory...all 75 or worse.

I'm not a Chamblee fan but yeah you have to give him credit for taking on tough topics.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't say one way or the other regarding Poulter's strategy on Sunday, but if Chamblee is correct, I'd side with him on this argument. Poulter has earned probably tens of millions of dollars in his career....a Players Championship would be his biggest title by far. He's that close to a 'major' title and he plays for a few extra bucks (relative terms) and some points? Maybe he was afraid to win...I dunno.

As for Brandel....I think he's the best thing on TGC. Much like Johnny Miller during a telecast, he gets reactions many times because he says things that most are afraid to say.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say one way or the other regarding Poulter's strategy on Sunday, but if Chamblee is correct, I'd side with him on this argument. Poulter has earned probably tens of millions of dollars in his career....a Players Championship would be his biggest title by far. He's that close to a 'major' title and he plays for a few extra bucks (relative terms) and some points? Maybe he was afraid to win...I dunno.

As for Brandel....I think he's the best thing on TGC. Much like Johnny Miller during a telecast, he gets reactions many times because he says things that most are afraid to say.

Poulter...when you're in contention, I think you always play to win, but I also think there a pins you just don't go after because bogey or dbl are as likely as par if you miss. Just looking back at the kid who won...he made a 17' putt on 1, a 24' putt on 7, and he took advantage of 16 like most of the field did.

Chamblee...that's if you're right, absolutely you want honest opinions whether they are negative or not I'm not that fond of Poulter largely because it's hard for me to separate him from the RC, but if I was in his shoes, I'd play it the same way.

Miller is rarely ever wrong when he undresses a player on national TV. For Chamblee, at best it's a maybe on Poulter.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poulter...when you're in contention, I think you always play to win, but I also think there a pins you just don't go after because bogey or dbl are as likely as par if you miss. Just looking back at the kid who won...he made a 17' putt on 1, a 24' putt on 7, and he took advantage of 16 like most of the field did.

Chamblee...that's if you're right, absolutely you want honest opinions whether they are negative or not I'm not that fond of Poulter largely because it's hard for me to separate him from the RC, but if I was in his shoes, I'd play it the same way.

I honestly don't see the point, from Poulter's perspective. Again....he's got a dream bank account, is pretty much set for the rest of the year tour-wise, and is in the best position he's arguably ever been in to win a massive tournament like The Players - a level that he's never conquered. He's 2 down sitting on the 17th tee and the guy he's chasing is on the par 5. I think at that point, if you're out to win, you've got to take a chance.

So he goes in the water? So what? Take a double, move to the 18 and get your par/bogey and finish somewhere in the top 10. It's better to try and fail than not try at all....except of course if you're someone like Evel Knievel.

This is all based on the assumption that Chamblee was correct in his assessment.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't see the point, from Poulter's perspective. Again....he's got a dream bank account, is pretty much set for the rest of the year tour-wise, and is in the best position he's arguably ever been in to win a massive tournament like The Players - a level that he's never conquered. He's 2 down sitting on the 17th tee and the guy he's chasing is on the par 5. I think at that point, if you're out to win, you've got to take a chance.

So he goes in the water? So what? Take a double, move to the 18 and get your par/bogey and finish somewhere in the top 10. It's better to try and fail than not try at all....except of course if you're someone like Evel Knievel.

This is all based on the assumption that Chamblee was correct in his assessment.

You make good points.

If you take the aggressive play and you make dbl on 17...now you're 4 down vs 2 and 18 is not really a birdie hole. You've basically taken yourself out of the tourney. Then the kid comes along and rinses 1, or 2 on 17 and he beats you by 1. Jack said himself he won more majors playing it safe and watching others around him fold than he did making huge birdies late. Fowler and maybe Sergio two of the few to take on 17 with the tournament on the line...if it were the 6th hole I think everybody would take dead aim.

Chamblee, that was his opinion. Only Poulter truly knows if he was trying to coast in with a top 5 check.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make good points.

If you take the aggressive play and you make dbl on 17...now you're 4 down vs 2 and 18 is not really a birdie hole. You've basically taken yourself out of the tourney. Then the kid comes along and rinses 1, or 2 on 17 and he beats you by 1. Jack said himself he won more majors playing it safe and watching others around him fold than he did making huge birdies late. Fowler and maybe Sergio two of the few to take on 17 with the tournament on the line...if it were the 6th hole I think everybody would take dead aim.

Chamblee, that was his opinion. Only Poulter truly knows if he was trying to coast in with a top 5 check.

OK...we've examined what could happen if Poulter goes for it and loses. Some world ranking points, a couple hundred grand (which is really nothing in the grand scheme of things). Given the total that is his career...it really isn't much to lose IMO.

Now....What if he takes on 17th, and gets birdie? He then trails only by one and certainly Kim feels even more pressure making that walk to the 17th tee. The difference between a 1 shot lead and a 2 shot lead, standing to take a swing at the island, is night and day.

There are simply too few holes remaining in the tournament to hope and pray the kid folds, despite what the last holes are like.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2017-5-16_11-38-52.png

upload_2017-5-16_11-39-46.png

STFU Chamblee

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-16_11-39-28.png
    upload_2017-5-16_11-39-28.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 1

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...we've examined what could happen if Poulter goes for it and loses. Some world ranking points, a couple hundred grand (which is really nothing in the grand scheme of things). Given the total that is his career...it really isn't much to lose IMO.

Now....What if he takes on 17th, and gets birdie? He then trails only by one and certainly Kim feels even more pressure making that walk to the 17th tee. The difference between a 1 shot lead and a 2 shot lead, standing to take a swing at the island, is night and day.

There are simply too few holes remaining in the tournament to hope and pray the kid folds, despite what the last holes are like.

I think the best point in the debate of him being more aggressive is in your 1st paragraph here. He's already won a bunch of money, having a Players trophy on him mantle would easily be his most notable individual title to date.

On that point, I agree with you because we're talking about a touring pro with a wedge in hand.

I still contend idt playing to the center of the green on 17 warrants being called out as chicken and playing for a check. On that end I have to temper that with IDK the full extent of Chamblee's focus to make the comments that he did.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best point in the debate of him being more aggressive is in your 1st paragraph here. He's already won a bunch of money, having a Players trophy on him mantle would easily be his most notable individual title to date.

On that point, I agree with you because we're talking about a touring pro with a wedge in hand.

I still contend idt playing to the center of the green on 17 warrants being called out as chicken and playing for a check. On that end I have to temper that with IDK the full extent of Chamblee's focus to make the comments that he did.

I think this is two separate issues here. One is what Poulter was actually thinking during the last few holes, and the other was Chamblees' comments alone.

On the first point, I still don't have a strong opinion one way or the other because I'm not in his brain. If it was IP's intention to simply cash a big cheque, then I'd lose a bit of respect for him. Unless he's one of many who go through their stash faster than they can make it, and really needs the coin. At some point late in that round, I believe he has to try and make a move. I'd have a different feeling say it was a lesser young player who is looking to secure his financial future or a guy who is on again/off again on the PGA tour.

On the second, I just respect BC's candidness and straight-shooting approach. Perhaps he caught something in Poulter's stance, or conversation with his caddy or the way he came across with his post round interview or whatever to make the comments he did. I don't recall him calling Poulter a 'chicken'...that would be pushing it....I just think he simply stated he was not playing to win. Perhaps I'm wrong on that. Based on what I know, I don't have an issue with him giving the opinion he did.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is two separate issues here. One is what Poulter was actually thinking during the last few holes, and the other was Chamblees' comments alone.

On the first point, I still don't have a strong opinion one way or the other because I'm not in his brain. If it was IP's intention to simply cash a big cheque, then I'd lose a bit of respect for him. Unless he's one of many who go through their stash faster than they can make it, and really needs the coin. At some point late in that round, I believe he has to try and make a move. I'd have a different feeling say it was a lesser young player who is looking to secure his financial future or a guy who is on again/off again on the PGA tour.

On the second, I just respect BC's candidness and straight-shooting approach. Perhaps he caught something in Poulter's stance, or conversation with his caddy or the way he came across with his post round interview or whatever to make the comments he did. I don't recall him calling Poulter a 'chicken'...that would be pushing it....I just think he simply stated he was not playing to win. Perhaps I'm wrong on that. Based on what I know, I don't have an issue with him giving the opinion he did.

1st point...I don't either in terms of the opinion but I lean towards IP's side here obviously.

2nd point...no, of course BC didn't use the word chicken, but saying a seasoned pro is not playing to win he insinuated it which is why IP took such offense to it.

If BC formed this opinion after talking with IP or his caddy, (idt he did FWIW) then the player is fair game if you have the balls to go out on that limb. Watching the round and forming this opinion is dicey imo.

What would really be good TV is for BC and IP to discuss this on the air.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like either one of them so oh well. I'd love to see these two go head to head on the course... But more so head to head in a fight. I'd pay to see that!

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elkington also ripped Poulter on Twitter. Too lazy to post it here. Sorry.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy on the left thinks it was a prudent move by Poulter.

th

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elkington also ripped Poulter on Twitter. Too lazy to post it here. Sorry.

Here are a few of Elk's tweets.

No doubt... never thought bout trying to win
Poults playing for 2nd... fme