• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brady Comes Back and Gets a Piece of the Pie??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody on the radio brought this up this morning and I almost drove off the road.

Would Tom Brady return to the patriots on a two year guaranteed contract for $2M and upon his official retirement also get 5% of the Patriots ownership? He would also become President of Football Operations.

I don't know if Kraft would do it, but Brady could put a caveat in the agreement that he would be given first option to purchase the team if the Kraft's ever decided to sell it. The Franchise is worth almost $4B and the 5% would be worth $200M.

Think about it. He only eats up $1M against the cap and that allows BB to really fix the OL and add some WR.

Hey CD7......I know it's never been done, but would it be legal??

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless a new CBA somehow drastically changed the requirements of Article 13, Section 4 (and there’s zero reason to think it would), the valuation of that ownership stake would have to be included in Brady’s calculation against the salary cap.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless a new CBA somehow drastically changed the requirements of Article 13, Section 4 (and there’s zero reason to think it would), the valuation of that ownership stake would have to be included in Brady’s calculation against the salary cap.

Correct. A deal like that would be a gross violation of the CBA and salary cap rules.

It would be nice if the NFL let teams to sign one (or two) of their own veteran players to max deals that didn't count against the cap, similar to what is allowed in the NBA.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL would definitely come down hard on the Patriots for a move like that. No it is not allowed. They could easily get around it by not making it quite so obvious what they are doing but then that means they are paying him big money against the cap so it eliminates the reason for doing it. I would say anything below $25 million against the cap would raise some red flags.