• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brace yourselves: football style playoffs are coming

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously.

The bye, in particular, is aterrible idea as it will put the top seed at a disadvantage, not playing for a week.

It works in football, but the nature of the game is so much different.
It wouldn't be a week, it would be 3 days I'd guess

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
November baseball needs to go. Only way to assure that and get a true wc series is to shorten the season a bit. But no one is going to do that willingly. Play 154 and make wc start day after end of season. Playbest of 3 back to back to back. No byes ever.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May as well.

It's not like playoff formats are going to be relevant to the Pirates again anytime soon.

The clock is already ticking on the Bryan Reynolds trade.

Until there is a salary floor and cap installed, or Bob Nutting sells the team, there's not much hope.
Who? Never heard of him. I don’t believe he exists. You made him up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who know? The Giants might get him back for a couple single A players soon.
Hey. if you combine that trade with the Schmidt trade, the Giants are still ahead, so I guess I can’t complain too much. Throw in the Sanchez, Lopez and Morris trades, and it gets even more lopsided.

The Pirates we’re bound to get a win in a Pit/SF trade eventually.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord. Stop. Two wild card teams is already pushing it. I like it, you still tend to get two quality teams. I also like the idea that if you don't win your division you have to fight for your spot with an opponent in the same position. I just don't think you can go any further.

We don't need .500 baseball teams getting in and fluke-ing their way past the 2nd best team in the NL/AL in a best 2 of 3 or something because they have two good starters who decided to be lights out on back-to-back days.

I realize some will say "well, if you're so much better then just beat them". I mean, just the idea that a 96 or 97 win team should have to exhaust their staff vs a team who may have won 80 games isn't right or "good" for the sport. IMO

The NFL ruined what I thought was a great system with 6 teams. I always felt that, typically, it was a great cutoff point. It also didn't give such an overbearing advantage to the #1 seed, as the #2 also got a bye. This is also coming from a die hard Bears fan, whose team got in as the NFC's 7th seed because of this change. My team was the first ever to benefit from it and I still want to go back to the way it was.
It would keep more people interested though. When your team is out of it by the end of June, fan interest wanes and baseball can't afford it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current system does that. Expanding the playoffs would make late-season games for the better teams meaningless, and games earlier in the season meaningless.
Nonsense

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in the end, if they feel they can make more money with change it will happen. We will bitch for a while, then get used to it and keep rooting for our teams.
Not really. I used to love love love baseball, now I barely pay attention.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because you're old now
MLB ratings: TV viewership numbers and the future of Major League Baseball
  • The average age of MLB fans is telling. After sitting at 52 in 2000, per Jason Foster, the average baseball fan is now 57. By comparison, the average age of an NFL fan is 50 and it’s even lower for the NBA (42).
  • Just as alarming, per the Sports Business Journal, just 7% of MLB’s viewers are under the age of 18 and the numbers weren’t much better among young adults.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. I used to love love love baseball, now I barely pay attention.
That's because you're old now
MLB ratings: TV viewership numbers and the future of Major League Baseball
  • The average age of MLB fans is telling. After sitting at 52 in 2000, per Jason Foster, the average baseball fan is now 57. By comparison, the average age of an NFL fan is 50 and it’s even lower for the NBA (42).
  • Just as alarming, per the Sports Business Journal, just 7% of MLB’s viewers are under the age of 18 and the numbers weren’t much better among young adults.
No I mean when you're old sports don't.matter.like they did in your teens through thirties

At least for me they don't. Ever since I had kids the whole sports fan thing doesn't make me too emotional like it used to