• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BPA or fill holes?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be the going talk for how the Sox will approach the offseason, specifically with the position players. Does Hahn go after the best player out there, which in this case has to be Rendon, or try to fill holes for such spots as DH and RF?

I'm definitely on the filling holes side of the equation. Nothing against Rendon whatsoever, he'll improve ANY roster that he joins. But why mess with a good thing? Moncada is not only a rising star, but IMHO, a rising superstar. And this is in part due to his relocation from 2nd base, where he struggled, to 3b, where he's thrived. I'd rather see us go for Martinez, assuming he opts out of his Red Sox contract, and that's looking more likely by the day. Then use the difference from those two would-be contracts to see if we can land a RF, preferably a L/H bat at that.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RF, DH, and multiple pitching spots need to be filled with new and better (almost impossible not to get better) players. The production from these spots was so horrendously bad that you cannot go BPA until they are filled. Not even a question. 2B is also in need...so I would probably put that before BPA too. We need a foundation and we're leaking like a sieve at all these positions. Our BPA signing is already in the works...Abreu.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely on the filling holes side of the equation. Nothing against Rendon whatsoever, he'll improve ANY roster that he joins. But why mess with a good thing? Moncada is not only a rising star, but IMHO, a rising superstar. And this is in part due to his relocation from 2nd base, where he struggled, to 3b, where he's thrived. I'd rather see us go for Martinez, assuming he opts out of his Red Sox contract, and that's looking more likely by the day. Then use the difference from those two would-be contracts to see if we can land a RF, preferably a L/H bat at that.

gotta disagree with you here. bryce harper did improve the phillies .,.. by one game, otoh the phillies were 4th this year 16 games behind and third last year only 10 games behind.
i suppose you could say machado improved san diego 4 games this year ... tho they were still 5th this year and 10 more games behind than last year.

the kw sox would do this kind of thing thinking like you expressed ... that he'd make the team better but frankly ... it would be another stupid old 'white sox move'!
rendon would likely not improve the team at all! i'd say it's a 50/50 chance moncada has a better year next season. moncada is hungry and rendon won't be.
they only need an adequate right fielder (garcia would probably work) and a decent DH
what they NEED is pitching! and if they don't go for pitching big time then they'll still be the same sorry ass, shit-run team they've been for a decade.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta disagree with you here. bryce harper did improve the phillies .,.. by one game, otoh the phillies were 4th this year 16 games behind and third last year only 10 games behind.
i suppose you could say machado improved san diego 4 games this year ... tho they were still 5th this year and 10 more games behind than last year.

But it's really not fair to place the entire team's improvement or lack thereof on one player. I don't think anyone is going to say that Harper lived up to that monster contract. But he did post some decent numbers this year, including 35 HRs, 114 RBIs, and a 3.4 WAR, so his individual contribution did improve the roster. Who's to say that others on the Phillies didn't have a worse season than last year, which resulted in only the one net game improvement.

My point was if Rendon even comes close to posting the numbers he's had the past few seasons, then he'll at least done his 1/25th share of improving the roster. It will be up to the other 24 players to do their part as well.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's really not fair to place the entire team's improvement or lack thereof on one player. I don't think anyone is going to say that Harper lived up to that monster contract. But he did post some decent numbers this year, including 35 HRs, 114 RBIs, and a 3.4 WAR, so his individual contribution did improve the roster. Who's to say that others on the Phillies didn't have a worse season than last year, which resulted in only the one net game improvement.

My point was if Rendon even comes close to posting the numbers he's had the past few seasons, then he'll at least done his 1/25th share of improving the roster. It will be up to the other 24 players to do their part as well.
still think it would be an unwise pickup. that's NOT where they have any need, much less a pressing need.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RF, DH, and multiple pitching spots need to be filled with new and better (almost impossible not to get better) players. The production from these spots was so horrendously bad that you cannot go BPA until they are filled. Not even a question. 2B is also in need...so I would probably put that before BPA too. We need a foundation and we're leaking like a sieve at all these positions. Our BPA signing is already in the works...Abreu.

Madrigal is our second baseman.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madrigal is our second baseman.

That works since it’s one of about 8 spots a decent amount comes from the farm for sure...

I assume the power first baseman we just drafted is not on the table.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That works since it’s one of about 8 spots a decent amount comes from the farm for sure...

I assume the power first baseman we just drafted is not on the table.

He finished the year in high-A ball. So, I would imagine he starts the season there or in AA. Sometime during 2021 is probably a realistic target date.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He finished the year in high-A ball. So, I would imagine he starts the season there or in AA. Sometime during 2021 is probably a realistic target date.

Be interesting to see how they handle Abreu and whoever platoons DH then...If Abreu signs multi-year, then I'm guessing he'll shift over to DH when this guy comes up....Who are the options for DH that we can bring in on a 1 year?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be interesting to see how they handle Abreu and whoever platoons DH then...If Abreu signs multi-year, then I'm guessing he'll shift over to DH when this guy comes up....Who are the options for DH that we can bring in on a 1 year?

JD Martinez is the hot name being thrown around by some White Sox outlets. He's more than likely to opt out of his Boston deal.

And yes... Vaughn is a great defensive 1B. If we hold onto Abreu, he would shift to DH.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD Martinez is the hot name being thrown around by some White Sox outlets. He's more than likely to opt out of his Boston deal.

And yes... Vaughn is a great defensive 1B. If we hold onto Abreu, he would shift to DH.

He can play RF, so yeah that would make perfect sense...but he's not a young pup so in a couple years Abreu and he will need to be replaced...so we better be f*cking sure we're good if we do that.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can play RF, so yeah that would make perfect sense...but he's not a young pup so in a couple years Abreu and he will need to be replaced...so we better be f*cking sure we're good if we do that.

Also, how much would this dude cost? Would it impede us signing a pitcher? We need pitching so bad.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still think it would be an unwise pickup. that's NOT where they have any need, much less a pressing need.
The way you state this, one would think I'm plugging for the Sox to go after Rendon. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I've made it very clear in here since moment one that I'm flat out, no questions asked against signing Rendon. He's a great player who will help whoever he signs with, and will almost undoubtedly cash in the largest contract this offseason. Just so long as it's not with the Good Guys.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JD Martinez can play RF about as good as Daniel Palka. lol

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD Martinez can play RF about as good as Daniel Palka. lol

Well considering we probably will have Palka out there...He takes some at bats away from him...unless you see somebody else out there?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just a guess, but my take is if we were fortunate enough to sign JD, Hahn will still be on the hunt for a RF.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just a guess, but my take is if we were fortunate enough to sign JD, Hahn will still be on the hunt for a RF.
I just caught an article about relief pitching, but I copied the last paragraph, as it applies directly to this thread:

Hahn also laid out specific areas the White Sox will be targeting this winter: right field, designated hitter, starting pitcher. That’s likely where the team’s dollars will be going.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just caught an article about relief pitching, but I copied the last paragraph, as it applies directly to this thread:

Hahn also laid out specific areas the White Sox will be targeting this winter: right field, designated hitter, starting pitcher. That’s likely where the team’s dollars will be going.

Martinez, Abreu and a quality RF and SP?

Yeah...I'm not holding my breath.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering we probably will have Palka out there...He takes some at bats away from him...unless you see somebody else out there?

I doubt that Palka is apart of our 2020 DH/RF plans. Not sure what you mean about "taking AB's away from him". JD Martinez has arguably been the most productive hitter in baseball over the past three years. No one is taking AB's away from him, much less Palka. JD is a monster. He's hit for 124 HR's 339 RBI's 1.000+ OPS .300+ average over that timeframe. In 2017, he hit 45 HR's in just 119 games. That's over a 60 HR pace if he had played the full 162.

Both are horrendous defenders and not guys you want on the field outside of a pinch.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that Palka is apart of our 2020 DH/RF plans. Not sure what you mean about "taking AB's away from him". JD Martinez has arguably been the most productive hitter in baseball over the past three years. No one is taking AB's away from him, much less Palka. JD is a monster. He's hit for 124 HR's 339 RBI's 1.000+ OPS .300+ average over that timeframe. In 2017, he hit 45 HR's in just 119 games. That's over a 60 HR pace if he had played the full 162.

Both are horrendous defenders and not guys you want on the field outside of a pinch.

Well...Boston put him in the field 95 times over the past two seasons so he must be serviceable. And if Palka is still in rf, he might take some of those games from him. Im pretty skeptical we can fill every hole and the fact we actually brought Palka back up after what should have been a career ending start to the season makes me think we have some kind of hard on for him.