• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Box Score Rankings

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you rank these stats when deciding who played best?

1. FG%
2. 3PT%
3. FT%
4. Offensive Rebounds
5. Defensive Rebounds
6. Total Rebounds
7. Assists
8. Steals
9. Blocks
10. Turnovers
11. Fouls
12. +/-
13. Points
14. 2PT%

And how do you factor in minutes played or bench/starting?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steals should be # 2.

A steal guarantees possession, and usually leads to an advantage on the break.

2 point % should be near 3 point %.

Blocks should be near the bottom.

+/- should be above that.

For rebounds, it's not that simple. Rebounds depends a team missing shots. If one is a poor defensive team, then there's going to be less defensive rebound opportunities. A defensive rebound is obtained by the defensive team about 70% of the time, so that's why they are weighted a little more. So if a team forces a lot of missed shots, then they better get a lot of defensive rebounds.

If one team takes 90 FGA but makes 80 FGM, then there are only 10 defensive rebound opportunities. The opposing team should be able to get 7 of them. If the other team takes 100 FGA but makes 30, then there are 70 defensive rebound opportunities to the opposing team. They should be able to get 49 of them.

So in this case, the team that missed 70 shots shouldn't get as many rebounds, because the other team should be getting a lot of those. But if the team that missed shots gets a lot of offensive rebounds, then that's good.

I would put defensive boards pretty high, but then total and offensive rebounds pretty low, because without knowing the opponent's FG% for that game, it's not as meaningful.

Ok, here's what you have to do @MHSL82. Please agree with me. :)

If the defensive team gets more than 75% of defensive rebounds available, then it's ranked highly. If the offensive team gets more than 35% of available offensive rebounds, then that's ranked highly. If the numbers are in between, then that's normal, and shouldn't be weighed as highly.

So if a team does well in OREB % ( > 35%) or DREB % ( > 75%), then rank that high. If the numbers are more normal, then don't rank it as high, as it wasn't a major deciding factor in that game.

Turnovers and FTAs also lead to a different amount of FGAs.

Let's put turnovers # 3.

For fouls, they are important, as you don't want to foul too much. But, you want to foul at the right times. Maybe put it in the middle.

I guess putting FT% below 3 point % is ok, but I don't like it. ;). I like seeing made FTs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@nuraman00 , above is not my order. Just the order of what shows on the ESPN box score.

Do you think percentage of points compared to team’s total makes any sense? Or is that irrelevant?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@nuraman00 , above is not my order. Just the order of what shows on the ESPN box score.

Do you think percentage of points compared to team’s total makes any sense? Or is that irrelevant?

Can you give an example?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you give an example?
So if the players score is 22 points, that’s a bit average for a top score in a game. But if they’ve played a great defensive team and the total points the team scored was 79 points, he would’ve scored 22 out of the 79 points. That’s a bigger deal.

But I also understand that person is likely to get the highest score anyway regardless of factoring that in. It would take too much effort to figure out what teams allow usually.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. Let's try it.