• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boom. Dunlap re-signs with the Seahawks.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But this does come at a cost. Appears with this move, the Hawks are going to be forced to either trade or release Jaren Reed, whose done very nice job at DT. Reed wants a long term deal, but Hawks are no in no position to do so after solidifying it's DE spots.

But still, great to see Dunlap is coming back.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed only has 1 year left on his contract, and we are getting hit with $5M dead cap. I would imagine we're not going to get much if we ask a team to absorb a bit of the cap hit.

That said, Dunlap and Ford were IMO MUST SIGNS this year. And we got em' both back. I thought Reed was going to walk to begin with so I'm perfectly fine at the moment. Mayowa resigned as well so that will help our pass rush a bit. Collier was doing okay as the season progressed and maybe we'll see some of Taylor this year. We do need another DT though IMO.

End of day, the DL was kind of doing fuck all until Dunlap got here... which is why I was more keen to signing him instead of keeping Reed and letting Dunlap walk. If anything Reed did us a favor here. Yes I get Reed is younger and Dunlap is 32... but Dunlap also didn't play a ton his first few years. His age I think is a couple years inflated in terms of wear/tear.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a article that is more upbeat then some that I found interesting.

Also looks like the Hawks have the ability to move Collier inside in Reed's spot... Which made it easier to move on from Reed...

“L.J. Collier, to me, was never going to be a dynamic edge rusher,” he said. “I think this probably does spell a little bit of L.J. moving inside, a guy that can carry I think similar weight to Jarran – 295, 300 pounds – and be a little bit more active. Maybe this would give him more opportunity to showcase some of his short-area quickness with his size, and maybe it’s actually a little better fit.” ~ Brock Huard

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Dunlap and I think that the defense really changed after he was traded to the team. That game winning sack against Arizona was everything this defense needed and with the lack of pass rush that we have we needed to bring him back.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I keep saying to people that Russ isn't looking to leave. This is all a power play against Pete Carroll. And that's why this is Pete's last year unless the Seahawks get to the Super Bowl.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep saying to people that Russ isn't looking to leave. This is all a power play against Pete Carroll. And that's why this is Pete's last year unless the Seahawks get to the Super Bowl.
Opinions vary on that. I do think RW was trying to influence Pete, but Pete will still be here next season as HC as will RW.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinions vary on that. I do think RW was trying to influence Pete, but Pete will still be here next season as HC as will RW.
Pete will be the 2nd oldest head coach in NFL history next year and the oldest that wasn't an interim hire. Ask Tom Coughlin how this plays out.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete will be the 2nd oldest head coach in NFL history next year and the oldest that wasn't an interim hire. Ask Tom Coughlin how this plays out.
Makes no difference how it turned out for Coughin, if Pete feels up to it he'll still be the HC IMO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no difference how it turned out for Coughin, if Pete feels up to it he'll still be the HC IMO.

Well I know a lot of people believe that.

I, for one, do not. Because I don't think that Jody Allen is an absentee owner. She isn't her brother but she clearly cares about the club.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She isn't her brother but she clearly cares about the club.
That's interesting. Got to say I think Paul Allen cared a lot, however I don't know much about Jody Allen, what are you basing this on?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting. Got to say I think Paul Allen cared a lot, however I don't know much about Jody Allen, what are you basing this on?

Well mainly based on how she has handled the team since Paul's death. And the Trailblazers.

Both teams have remained successful and she has provided money for both teams without interfering, much like her brother.

IMO, if the fans turn of Pete she will move on from him. And I honestly think that the fans are already starting to turn on Pete and another disappointed playoff will lead to Pete no longer being head coach. He may have some other job. But the truth is that the Hawks have one of the best QBs in football and win double digits games every year and we haven't been past the 2nd round in 6 years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well mainly based on how she has handled the team since Paul's death. And the Trailblazers.

Both teams have remained successful and she has provided money for both teams without interfering, much like her brother.

IMO, if the fans turn of Pete she will move on from him. And I honestly think that the fans are already starting to turn on Pete and another disappointed playoff will lead to Pete no longer being head coach. He may have some other job. But the truth is that the Hawks have one of the best QBs in football and win double digits games every year and we haven't been past the 2nd round in 6 years.
Yup the Seahawks have had trouble moving from playoff team to Superbowl team, but it's a good problem to have and haven't the other playoff teams had the same problem? I know the Packers have had a bit more success in the playoffs but making it to the Superbowl has eluded them also. That last step requires many things to go right.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup the Seahawks have had trouble moving from playoff team to Superbowl team, but it's a good problem to have and haven't the other playoff teams had the same problem? I know the Packers have had a bit more success in the playoffs but making it to the Superbowl has eluded them also. That last step requires many things to go right.

I agree. I'm not anti-Pete. He was amazing for this team and I will always be happy that he was our HC.

But there is a reason why NFL head coaches stay at their job into their 70s. Its a grueling job and requires a certain amount of flexibility that I think older people don't always have.

Ultimately if it comes down to Russ or 72 year old Pete Carroll next year, who do you choose?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately if it comes down to Russ or 72 year old Pete Carroll next year, who do you choose?

It wont come down to that. Dont let the Media influence you on your opinion. Wilson and Pete are 100% fine the Media blew it out of proportion for the clicks and views and they even said as much when Wilson/Trade talk was taken down when they said " It wasn't going to happen but sure was fun talking about it wasn't it?" Fun for who? Every team that doesn't have a QB? Was aggravating to me with all the assumptions and twisted meanings and ghost hunting, it was total BS. Carroll Says " we got to protect better" then Wilson says "sure i would like more protection" Same thing Pete said but in a different way and OH NO WILSON WANTS OUT! laughable fake news. Also the "they are looking at trade offers" Ok go back to 2014 when Pete Said and i Quote " we look at EVERY OFFER, doesn't matter who is involved, If we didn't then we are not doing our jobs"

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wont come down to that. Dont let the Media influence you on your opinion. Wilson and Pete are 100% fine the Media blew it out of proportion for the clicks and views and they even said as much when Wilson/Trade talk was taken down when they said " It wasn't going to happen but sure was fun talking about it wasn't it?" Fun for who? Every team that doesn't have a QB? Was aggravating to me with all the assumptions and twisted meanings and ghost hunting, it was total BS. Carroll Says " we got to protect better" then Wilson says "sure i would like more protection" Same thing Pete said but in a different way and OH NO WILSON WANTS OUT! laughable fake news. Also the "they are looking at trade offers" Ok go back to 2014 when Pete Said and i Quote " we look at EVERY OFFER, doesn't matter who is involved, If we didn't then we are not doing our jobs"

While I agree that this dust up was blown out of proportion by the media, as these stories always are. I heard Jeff Darlington from ESPN last week still peddling the Wilson to the Bears nonsense. It was never a real thing and there was never any chance that they would move him.

But that doesn't mean that the relationship with Russ and Pete is 100% fine. I think it took a huge hit this last offseason. IMO, Pete's stature with the team took a hit as well. He personally chose to turtle up the offense after a couple of bad games and the offense NEVER recovered and neither did Russ' confidence. IMO, he screwed that whole situation up.

Doesn't it mean it is beyond saving? Of course not. It's possible that Waldron will come in and and develop and offense that Russ likes and Pete will get behind and that Pete will leave it to him. But if Pete puts them hammer down again, I think that will end their relationship

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Coughlin and Pete Carroll's coaching philosophies were night and day...