• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boogie-ology

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the radio here I heard an interesting thought on Cousins. The injury he has, especially on a big man, is a very serious deal. Even people that come back from it, sometimes it takes 2 years before they are back to their old selves. That first year back they are careful, and not all there.

So imagine Boogie is that, 60-70% of himself. The Ws play very uptempo and Boogie is bad at getting back on transition D. That's even when he's not yelling at a ref instead of getting back.

So he's not 100% and the Ws don't play him that much. Not to mention the difficulty learning to play in a new system, and one where Cousins is the 4th option which is very new to him. That makes him mad, he's trying to showcase himself for a big contract. Could be an issue. Or rather, it's probably premature to just pencil in another all-star level player to the Ws.

No doubt having him will be better than not having him. But it may not be a tremendous amount better.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And not everyone comes back at any point.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh...I doubt it'll be an issue. For all his issues in the past, I feel like the injury was a big shock of reality for him, especially the offseason offers he got, so he's gonna be on his best behavior to secure a better deal this coming summer. The guy literally lost millions and millions of dollars because of the timing of his injury. He knows what he has to do to try to get some of it back

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh...I doubt it'll be an issue. For all his issues in the past, I feel like the injury was a big shock of reality for him, especially the offseason offers he got, so he's gonna be on his best behavior to secure a better deal this coming summer. The guy literally lost millions and millions of dollars because of the timing of his injury. He knows what he has to do to try to get some of it back

This.

Boogie's numbers don't matter this year.

What does matter is how he conducts himself. He need some to prove he can be an effective role player in a great team. That will help erase question marks teams have about his character.

Also, while I don't expect Cousins to be near 100% at any point this year, I do think with his size and skill combo he can still be an effective player, even if his mobility is somewhat hindered. Defense is the main concern for me.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

Boogie's numbers don't matter this year.

What does matter is how he conducts himself. He need some to prove he can be an effective role player in a great team. That will help erase question marks teams have about his character.

Also, while I don't expect Cousins to be near 100% at any point this year, I do think with his size and skill combo he can still be an effective player, even if his mobility is somewhat hindered. Defense is the main concern for me.

As others have mentioned in other threads, Boogie didn't seem to have much in the way of character issues in New Orleans and since he signed with the Warriors. He's apparently been taking his rehab very seriously and is looking pretty good.

Imo, the main reason teams didn't want to take a flyer on him, as the above quotes suggest, is his past character issues.

It's one thing to take a chance on a guy coming off an injury, it's something else entirely when that guy can potentially screw up your teams chemistry.

Boogie needs to show that he can still play, but teams will get a pretty good idea of that once he actually gets back on the court and some of his skill set will remain regardless of how much he loses from the injury. More important for him will be his attitude.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the radio here I heard an interesting thought on Cousins. The injury he has, especially on a big man, is a very serious deal. Even people that come back from it, sometimes it takes 2 years before they are back to their old selves. That first year back they are careful, and not all there.

So imagine Boogie is that, 60-70% of himself. The Ws play very uptempo and Boogie is bad at getting back on transition D. That's even when he's not yelling at a ref instead of getting back.

So he's not 100% and the Ws don't play him that much. Not to mention the difficulty learning to play in a new system, and one where Cousins is the 4th option which is very new to him. That makes him mad, he's trying to showcase himself for a big contract. Could be an issue. Or rather, it's probably premature to just pencil in another all-star level player to the Ws.

No doubt having him will be better than not having him. But it may not be a tremendous amount better.
big men suffering achilees injuries are killers. Honestly, there is no way we should ever expect him to be what he once was. The explosiveness he had is likely gone forever.
The question is, can he get back 80% of what he was? 90% of what he was? Will he be a guy who is stuck to the ground?

An achilees is the worst injury an NBA player can sustain. Combine that with Cousins' history of selfish play and distraction and hes just not a guy I would want to sink a lot of money into.

obviously his play is the most important thing, but there shoudl be no expectation of him ever getting back to close to 100% of what he once was.

How many players with achilees injuries ever do? its like tearing all your knee ligaments being a running back in the NFL. You just cant ever expect him to be the same

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big men suffering achilees injuries are killers. Honestly, there is no way we should ever expect him to be what he once was. The explosiveness he had is likely gone forever.
The question is, can he get back 80% of what he was? 90% of what he was? Will he be a guy who is stuck to the ground?

An achilees is the worst injury an NBA player can sustain. Combine that with Cousins' history of selfish play and distraction and hes just not a guy I would want to sink a lot of money into.

obviously his play is the most important thing, but there shoudl be no expectation of him ever getting back to close to 100% of what he once was.

How many players with achilees injuries ever do? its like tearing all your knee ligaments being a running back in the NFL. You just cant ever expect him to be the same

Pretty much agree. However, I will add that there are a couple of things that work in his favor.

One thing is, at 28 he's relatively young, unlike Kobe who was 75 years old when he tore his Achilles. So he should hopefully have more left than Kobe did because he's still in his prime.

Also, his game was never completely based on athleticism. So, some of the things he did well, he should still be able to do.

I agree that he won't get back to what he was before the injury, but if he adjusts and maybe works on some other skills, he could get pretty close.