• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bonds and Clemens Projected Totals, Without PEDs

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a writer's idea of how their careers would have gone without "assistance".

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m guessing Bonds would still be the all-time leader in walks, but you’d also have to guess that he wouldn’t have been intentionally walked so much which might’ve put him behind Rickey Henderson.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m guessing Bonds would still be the all-time leader in walks, but you’d also have to guess that he wouldn’t have been intentionally walked so much which might’ve put him behind Rickey Henderson.
He still would’ve walked in a good chunk of those ABs.

He was getting pitched around as a Pirate to the point he was intentionally walked more often than he hit home runs a couple years. Which seems dangerous as a pitcher since he was swiping 40-50 bags a year then.

I’m with you, second would be as low as he could’ve fallen.

But if Pedialite and Peloton had existed when #3 in walks was playing, he might’ve had 3000.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still would’ve walked in a good chunk of those ABs.

He was getting pitched around as a Pirate to the point he was intentionally walked more often than he hit home runs a couple years. Which seems dangerous as a pitcher since he was swiping 40-50 bags a year then.

I’m with you, second would be as low as he could’ve fallen.

But if Pedialite and Peloton had existed when #3 in walks was playing, he might’ve had 3000.
And then of course, there was the time Buck Showalter (with the Dbacks) walked Bonds intentionally with the bases loaded.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind that those are median projections. Elite baseball players usually end up outperforming their median projections. Did Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron drop off a cliff after they turned 35? I think these projections are very misleading and poorly applied.

For example, Steamer has Trout projected for 6.1 WAR. The only times he's failed to exceed that in a season was his rookie cup of coffee, a COVID-shortened 2020 season, and an injury shortened 2021 season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ricky argues that his career walk total is more impressive because he got his when the other team didn’t want him to get them.

Both totals are freakishly impressive.

Bonds was so far ahead of everyone else in the game that the other team wanted nothing to do with him. Even if he had an MVP, borderline HOF hitting behind him, and even when the bases were loaded. Walk.

Ricky got his when the other teams was doing everything humanly possible to keep him off the base paths. He routinely turned a walk into a double (or more) AND messed with the pitcher so he didn’t concentrate on the batter hitting behind Ricky.

It is hard to displace Ruth, Bonds, Mays or Williams as one of the 3 greatest OFers in the history of the game, but I think Ricky belongs in that conversation up to the very last cut. Dude was not human.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the pitchers weren't on roids Bonds would have hit even more than he did. Same if Clemons would have been clean and picthing to clean players he would have looked even better than he did, not worse.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the pitchers weren't on roids Bonds would have hit even more than he did. Same if Clemons would have been clean and picthing to clean players he would have looked even better than he did, not worse.
Good points. We'll never know, but it's fun to make projections...

I remember compiling career stats of players that took time off for war - using the averages of the years before and after their time away. Try it with Ted Williams when you get a chance...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surely you're joking