• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boldin's Comments

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GLENDALE, Arizona – Wide receiver Anquan Boldin said it felt as if the 49ers were playing two opponents on Sunday.

Boldin tried to put a finger on why the 49ers have struggled in second half of games – again blowing a lead on Sunday in a 23-14 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

“Yeah, and they wear black and white,” Boldin said.

Referee Gene Steratore's crew penalized the 49ers nine times for 107 yards, and some of them were costly.

Back-to-back hits on Cardinals quarterback Drew Stanton drew controversial penalties and moved Arizona 30 yards closer to a go-ahead third-quarter touchdown in the third quarter.

“For me, it’s been obvious the last two weeks the amount of calls that have gone against us and the amount of calls that we’ve gotten,” Boldin said. “It hasn’t been close. And every week it’s the same thing.

“You send the tape in, and the NFL just reports back, ‘We made a mistake.’ But at the same time, the crap is costing us games. At some point, they need to be held accountable.”

Boldin was guilty of an unnecessary roughness penalty when he head-butted Cardinals safety Tony Jefferson after a completition to the Arizona 6-yard line. The penalty moved the ball back to the 21, and the 49ers failed to score at a time when they were trailing 20-14.

Boldin said he was provoked.

“My penalty was my penalty. I shouldn’t have did it,” he said. “The guy’s been taking shots at me the whole game. I told the coach that. I told the ref that three times. ‘I didn’t see it . . . I didn’t see it . . . I’ll look for it.’ But as soon as we do something, wow, they see it. But when guys are doing crap to us, ‘We didn’t catch it.’”

Afterward, TV cameras caught Boldin in animated discussion with 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh.

“It wasn’t (an) exchange,” Boldin said. “He asked me a question, and I answered the question. It was after my personal foul, and he said, ‘Could you come to me or come to the ref?’ And I said, ‘Coach, I’ve gone to the ref on three different occasions. That’s not helping at all.’ ”

Two penalties that upset Boldin occurred when he was on the sideline. Dan Skuta was flagged for unnecessary roughness when he hit Stanton as he was sliding. On the next play, Patrick Willis was flagged another 15 yards for roughing the passer on what looked like a clean hit.

“If you look at it, it’s unbelievable,” Boldin said. “.And we’ll send the tape in, and they’ll tell us, ‘We made a mistake.’ But yet they got 30 yards down the field. And some of those are coming at crucial points, third downs when the defense is getting off the field. And now it’s first and 10.

“They’ll say we had a lot to do with it, and we did. We could’ve played better here and there, but it’s crazy.”

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I acknowledge that the officiating is not the ONLY reason this team has lost the last two games. Our team has issues that they need to resolve, including discipline. However, the poor officiating has certainly not helped matters at all for us.

I for one am in favor of what Boldin said. I feel that we have gotten the short end of the stick in all three games with the officials. I'm frustrated with it, and I can understand that the players are as well. I wish the players were cooler about it (Boldin specifically), but someone had to say it. I applaud Boldin, being the veteran that he is, for speaking out about it. The fact that this crap is the best that the NFL can muster is an absolute travesty and there should be more accountability for it.

I always watch Twitter as I watch the game. I follow Mike Pereira and I like to follow along with any suspect calls to see if he thinks they're legitimate or not. And sure enough, there have been numerous calls that Pereira has specifically called mistakes or overly ticky-tack calls that have gone against us.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think that this could cut either way: the refs could get sensitive about it and cut back on the Niners, or they could get offended and hit them harder. I DO like that he came out and said it, it could help. I always thought the Phil Jackson got mileage out of his comments on the officials back in the day.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the refs are always throwing the flags on 3rd down when it's the most crucial time

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the refs are always throwing the flags on 3rd down when it's the most crucial time

I have no plans of joining the pissing match on the NFL forum because I have no interest in ARZ fans saying that I'm bitching about calls. I know what I see and these penalties seem to happen primarily on 3rd down with quite a few of them being game changers.

The hit on Stanton by Skuta was a 3rd down play and if they spotted the ball correctly minus the bogus penalty, it would have been 4th and 1 on roughly the ARZ 45. Instead, it was 1st and 10 with an added 15 yards on the SF 40. Then the next bullshit 15 yard penalty on Willis on the next play puts ARZ on the SF 25. That directly turned into a TD instead of a punt. Those who say these calls don't affect the outcome of the game are in denial of what possession and momentum do in football.

Illegal contact on Cook on 3rd and 8, that had Josh Brown out of bounds even if he had caught it, that gave an automatic 1st down as well as illegal contact on Cox that turned a 2nd and 12 (3rd and 12 with the incomplete pass if no penalty is assessed) into a 1st and 10 are also game changers.

I will not defend Culliver or Boldin's stupidity because those happened after the play was dead and are inexcusable in my eyes.

But our team has seen many calls all season long that just seem out of place and disproportionate in comparison to the opponents. Am I saying there is a conspiracy? Not really. Do I think that the Niners have been one of the targets of these new rules by those trying to enforce rules? I would say yes. We have seen so many unnecessary roughness penalties over the past 3 seasons that have NOT been after being reviewed. We have played a very physical style of defense since even before Harbaugh, but we have been pretty disciplined under Harbaugh. Whitner had 5 unnecessary roughness penalties that he paid $0 in fines, meaning that his hits were deemed legal. Mike Pereira seems to consistently come out and say that these calls are NOT good calls.

We need to be a more disciplined team and we don't help our cause by pulling Cullivers. But at the same time, the way our games are called is IMO in excess with regards to stupid calls in comparison to other games I have watched.

The Skuta hit pissed me off. The Willis hit made me want to punch something. They are playing FOOTBALL. Player safety should NOT trump the game itself. Willis saw what he hit, which is the correct way to hit someone. He hit him in the chest, not the head. Stanton wanted to wait the extra second to see the play develop and got smacked. Hard. Because the power in which Willis hits separates him from others. But he got penalized literally for hitting too hard. He didn't spear him and if you are going to call that bullshit considering there is no helmet to helmet contact and it happened before Stanton let the ball go, then you better be 100% fucking sure that he did exactly what you thought he did. If an official DOESN'T throw the flag, Willis could still be fined later. But giving the opponent 15 yards when they are already at mid-field for something you aren't sure about is bullshit and costs teams games.

Just my $0.02.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin is right, its sucks right now but we still have to find a way to win. Its the NFL, refs are just not good. It happens.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin was frustrated and showed it on the field and that was wrong for a veteran. He needs to show he is a leader and just deal with these loser prick dumb-ass refs . He has no say in what they do. Play the fucking game and don't let it get to you...that's what rookies do.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't roughing the passer penalties such as the hits made by Skuta and Willis subject to a fine? This reminds me of the Brooks hit on Brees last year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just sucks when the NFL reviews and says it was a bad call and they sorry. Sorry does crap. Let these plays be reviewed upstairs if its a close call. Im not saying to make it a coaching challenge. They need to do something.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It just sucks when the NFL reviews and says it was a bad call and they sorry. Sorry does crap. Let these plays be reviewed upstairs if its a close call. Im not saying to make it a coaching challenge. They need to do something.

the only way to improve it is replay, and there comes a point where fans......ALL fans.....will say enough is enough. too many replays will dull the viewing experience.

being biased, also feel these calls are leaning against us at the moment, but NOT for replaying every penalty. in the larger picture we will get those calls our way, or get those non-calls too.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only way to improve it is replay, and there comes a point where fans......ALL fans.....will say enough is enough. too many replays will dull the viewing experience.

being biased, also feel these calls are leaning against us at the moment, but NOT for replaying every penalty. in the larger picture we will get those calls our way, or get those non-calls too.

Im not saying every call. Im just saying the was that were close. I mean with willis I knew 100% that wasn't a penalty. Upstairs can review that play in 1min and beep down to the refs on the field. Teams work to hard to win and these calls are killing teams not just the 49ers. Another example was Cook PI. WR was hand checking the whole time. Cook moved his arm out of the way and he gets called. That wasn't even close to PI. Now Im not saying PI should be reviewed upstairs Im just stating how bad the refs are and I blame the NFl with these stupid new rules every year. Refs are so confused and scared to miss a play they just throw the flag.

reviews should be on personal Fouls. Again not coaches review. At least give us the last 5 min of each half.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Im not saying every call. Im just saying the was that were close. I mean with willis I knew 100% that wasn't a penalty. Upstairs can review that play in 1min and beep down to the refs on the field. Teams work to hard to win and these calls are killing teams not just the 49ers. Another example was Cook PI. WR was hand checking the whole time. Cook moved his arm out of the way and he gets called. That wasn't even close to PI. Now Im not saying PI should be reviewed upstairs Im just stating how bad the refs are and I blame the NFl with these stupid new rules every year. Refs are so confused and scared to miss a play they just throw the flag.

reviews should be on personal Fouls. Again not coaches review. At least give us the last 5 min of each half.

There could be a lot more reviews and they could be done a lot more quickly. Just give the guy up in the booth the same status as those on the field. He sees a play he calls it. If he can that the call on the field is wrong, like we can see from our couch position, just do it. No need to go through the stupid slow rigamorole of having the head ref go to the sidelines and look at video. Plenty of time to do it in the flow of the game: play runs, flag goes out, refs huddle for 10-20 seconds to confer on call, they call it, then the players get ready to go. Plenty of time in there for booth official to get his 2 cents in. They just have some stupid idea that the refs on the field must be treated as gods and we ignorant fans, through instant replay, can sit and home and see a lot of mistakes.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There could be a lot more reviews and they could be done a lot more quickly. Just give the guy up in the booth the same status as those on the field. He sees a play he calls it. If he can that the call on the field is wrong, like we can see from our couch position, just do it. No need to go through the stupid slow rigamorole of having the head ref go to the sidelines and look at video. Plenty of time to do it in the flow of the game: play runs, flag goes out, refs huddle for 10-20 seconds to confer on call, they call it, then the players get ready to go. Plenty of time in there for booth official to get his 2 cents in. They just have some stupid idea that the refs on the field must be treated as gods and we ignorant fans, through instant replay, can sit and home and see a lot of mistakes.

I agree 100%

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no fines for willis or skuta. nfl hits were clean. thanks nfl doesnt help us now. this is what im talking about.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I think my question has a lot to do with bad calls.

All turnovers are reviewed. Last year, when Ahmad Brooks forced Drew Brees to fumble and turn the ball over, he was flagged for roughing the passer. If this play happened this year, is it review-able? There is a turnover, but there is also a defensive penalty.