• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bob Cole's final broadcast

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saturday will be legendary hockey broadcaster Bob Coles final broadcast; a career that has spanned about 50 years.

Let me preface this with the obligatory -- he should have retired ~15 years ago. My honest opinion is that it's more like 10 years ago but let's not nitpick here. To me at least, the fact that he didn't retire in no way tarnishes his legacy.

Bob Cole is arguably the greatest hockey announcer ever. Whether you like him or not is inconsequential; his success and longevity indicates that he's either the greatest or pretty damn close.

I think it's kind of fitting the he does the Leafs vs Habs game as his last hooray. The Habs will need a win to get into the PO's and I'd think the Leafs would like to break the 100 point barrier so there's still quite a lot on the line. This is a meaningful game and should bring out some of the passion that Cole is famous for.

At any rate, it's honestly been a privilege to have witnessed his broadcasts over the last 50 years. He's made some great calls; I think my favorite is when he just says "SCORING" (without mentioning the players name) after a great goal.

I would expect there to be some contrary opinions and sour grapes in regards to his career and this is a messageboard so I'd like to hear from everyone, regardless of how wrong their opinion might be.

Lastly, he grew up a Habs fan, not a Leafs fan if anyone needs to know.

Last edited:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole was the voice of my youth. Like any long term announcer, you cannot help but feel a strong attachment to anyone who has been behind the mic for that many years, calling the sport you love.

Been gone for almost 20 years now, and I honestly thought he retired years ago. Was he a Vin Scully? Maybe not, but that does not detract from my memories and fondness. Not the most eloquent, but with more passion than most, and without the blatant homerism that you get these days.

MTL-TOR final game? The only way it should end and kudos to the League for making it so. That was no unintended consequence of scheduling randomness, that was purposeful. I can think of no finer way of retiring as a Canadian legend than to call a game between the two iconic Canadian franchises.

Enjoy retirement Bob!

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up with Cole. He's called.somemof the greatest calls of all time. A legend

Enjoy.... Retirement... BOB

Thanks for the memories

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saturday will be legendary hockey broadcaster Bob Coles final broadcast; a career that has spanned about 50 years.

Let me preface this with the obligatory -- he should have retired ~15 years ago. My honest opinion is that it's more like 10 years ago but let's not nitpick here. To me at least, the fact that he didn't retire in no way tarnishes his legacy.

Bob Cole is arguably the greatest hockey announcer ever. Whether you like him or not is inconsequential; his success and longevity indicates that he's either the greatest or pretty damn close.

I think it's kind of fitting the he does the Leafs vs Habs game as his last hooray. The Habs will need a win to get into the PO's and I'd think the Leafs would like to break the 100 point barrier so there's still quite a lot on the line. This is a meaningful game and should bring out some of the passion that Cole is famous for.

At any rate, it's honestly been a privilege to have witnessed his broadcasts over the last 50 years. He's made some great calls; I think my favorite is when he just says "SCORING" (without mentioning the players name) after a great goal.

I would expect there to be some contrary opinions and sour grapes in regards to his career and this is a messageboard so I'd like to hear from everyone, regardless of how wrong their opinion might be.

Lastly, he grew up a Habs fan, not a Leafs fan if anyone needs to know.

Even when he was a Leafs homer (with Neale) he still had a great voice.

Even when he was losing it and didn't know all the players he would still bring that extra level of excitement to a broadcast.

Even when he was being obvious patriotic/homer he was still awesome. Wow. Oh Baby.

He wasn't perfect but pretty damn close.

Him and Foster Hewitt are 1a and 1b.

Don't ask me to choose the order.

We're not likely to see their calibre again soon.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just doctored his last call. FFS.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1