• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boat a new boat

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought a used boat 2015 Key West 203f with 150 Yamaha (just under 200 hours):

e31d7dc9bd7b478ee5aeab0c9d8c2c30.jpg

Mine is white though. It gets delivered Friday and plan on going after saltwater trout on Saturday.
Nice floater by the way. Congrats.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anchoring has been my nemesis this past year on kayaks too. That's not a tide thing but a small boat in current thing. Thinking about putting a couple of power poles on the back of them. That will cost more than the boat though so...
I was going to do a power pole but a friend almost has me talked into a trolling motor instead. They have built-in GPS and will hold you in place automatically no matter the water depth. I've just got to decide if I want to give up the room on the boat.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to do a power pole but a friend almost has me talked into a trolling motor instead. They have built-in GPS and will hold you in place automatically no matter the water depth. I've just got to decide if I want to give up the room on the boat.
Yeah, the spot-lock trolling motors are really cool. Even more expensive than the power poles (at least the micro-power poles for kayaks) haha. I would definitely be looking at that if they would work for me. Unfortunately the rivers I fish are too shallow in a lot of places for any sort of motor.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the two people I fish with has one of those motors on his boat, its' pretty darn cool. Though we've only used it on inland lakes so the current is limited. Very cool little gadget. Personally, if the choice was power pole or that kind of trolling motor, I'd pick the motor because it does more than just one thing. You could also, you know, troll with it lol

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s just say anchoring and tides are something I’m still figuring out and need more practice before taking “friends” out. The intercoastal doesn’t work like a lake I’m discovering LOL.
When you anchor the boat you will need to drop out a lot of line.. 50-100 ft in shallow water..

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright. Update.

Got a Striker 4 portable kit as a birthday present from my family; so now I'm super excited for spring. Though I will try out the ice fishing feature in the next couple months.
Striker_1-2.jpg

Next up for my boat, I'm going to get this Scotty inflatable boat attachment so I can throw on a transducer arm for the striker 4 transducer. It comes out of the box with a suction cup but I think that will be hard to position right when I'm in the water. I think this will allow me to easily, and relatively cheaply (for less than $40) raise and lower it to a proper position while in the boat:
Fish_Stalker_Scotty_140Transducer_arm_with_adapter_plate_3_copy.jpg

Last year when I went out, I was struggling in new waters to figure out where the fish were and what depths I was working with to even pick lures. I think this will help dramatically.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright. Update.

Got a Striker 4 portable kit as a birthday present from my family; so now I'm super excited for spring. Though I will try out the ice fishing feature in the next couple months.
Striker_1-2.jpg

Next up for my boat, I'm going to get this Scotty inflatable boat attachment so I can throw on a transducer arm for the striker 4 transducer. It comes out of the box with a suction cup but I think that will be hard to position right when I'm in the water. I think this will allow me to easily, and relatively cheaply (for less than $40) raise and lower it to a proper position while in the boat:
Fish_Stalker_Scotty_140Transducer_arm_with_adapter_plate_3_copy.jpg

Last year when I went out, I was struggling in new waters to figure out where the fish were and what depths I was working with to even pick lures. I think this will help dramatically.
Nice! Gonna be a sweet set up man.

I backed off of the whole electronics thing after thinking about it. The rivers I fish are just too shallow.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! Gonna be a sweet set up man.

I backed off of the whole electronics thing after thinking about it. The rivers I fish are just too shallow.
I found myself unable to figure out what was going on under my boat. I ran into some mud/bottom with my prop a few times because I couldn't tell what the depth was. The Huron River has 30ft+ parts closer to where it's dammed up, and then gets shallower away from the dam. More problematic, around bends there can be 10-20 foot spots that get super shallow along the inside of the bend. Really hard to not hit stuff and to figure out where to throw lures.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found myself unable to figure out what was going on under my boat. I ran into some mud/bottom with my prop a few times because I couldn't tell what the depth was. The Huron River has 30ft+ parts closer to where it's dammed up, and then gets shallower away from the dam. More problematic, around bends there can be 10-20 foot spots that get super shallow along the inside of the bend. Really hard to not hit stuff and to figure out where to throw lures.
By the time your depth finder gives you a shallow reading your gonna be beached anyway! Hahaha.

Yeah, I'd buy one too if I fished waters like that as well. Or lakes. And I may eventually do that. My river is mostly 3' and under with some deeper (6-12') holes here and there. And it's pretty much clear. I can see probably 3-5' down. A lot of the river is 1-2' deep where I'm constantly bouncing off rocks and scraping. My yaks look like I run them over cheese graders haha.

Just right now, with what I'm fishing, I don't think electronics would help me much.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW. YakAttack is making a lot of stuff for rafts now from what I hear. As you're looking for accessories I would check them out. Very high quality and well thought out, and about three times the cost you'd expect to pay.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memorial weekend project started: getting the new depth finder attachment glued onto the boat. Got it out of storage and blown up, washed it and went to lowes for some flexible vinyl glue. Once it dries I should be able to attach it. Planning on hitting the water this weekend to give it a test run. We got really nice weather coming up (apart from some threat of a few thunderstorms on Sunday). Once it's on, I'll get a picture on here.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memorial weekend project started: getting the new depth finder attachment glued onto the boat. Got it out of storage and blown up, washed it and went to lowes for some flexible vinyl glue. Once it dries I should be able to attach it. Planning on hitting the water this weekend to give it a test run. We got really nice weather coming up (apart from some threat of a few thunderstorms on Sunday). Once it's on, I'll get a picture on here.
Don't glue it on. Use screws.

Ha ha.

Have fun.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, had some time last night and it's all dry this afternoon. Not the prettiest glue job but super functional (it was pretty watery glue and the bend of the mold was slightly off so I really had to push it to get it to conform to the curve of the boat inflated)

qpiaFed.jpg

9ZIeNXm.jpg

jHSVpf6.jpg

Top picture is all that's left on the boat when I fold it up, the arm extends further down than pictured but - grass and all. Hoping to get it out his weekend now.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have to blow that thing up with your mouth each time you go fishing?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have to blow that thing up with your mouth each time you go fishing?
No, comes with a large-volume hand pump; takes about 5 minutes to blow up once you have the setup down. Pumps on the up and down:
a50c7ce9-3236-4e9d-b058-6101f76fff1e_1.00b4ceb979bf029d40b8f0326e94f576.jpeg

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took it out for 3 hours this morning, works like a charm, caught a few fish and explored the lake a bit (first time there). Fishing setup really starting to come together.

fqGieDI.jpg

zl12W2V.jpg

Gk0EdVR.jpg

tz9JnqZ.jpg

uYpwi9f.jpg

hcW853q.jpg