• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blazers should trade Aldridge to Cavs

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Both the Blazers & Cavs are in rebuilding mode. However, I sense that Cleveland and their owner are in a bit more of a hurry to become a playoff team than the Blazers. The Blazers GM has said several times that he is looking longterm. Pesonally, I think that's smart because no one is beating Lebron anytime soon anyway.

If I were Cleveland I would keep the draft picks and build a very young nucleus that will become very good around the time Lebron is done winning championships.

However, if Cleveland is willing, Portland should make the following trade:

LaMarcus Aldridge

for

Tristan Thompson, #1 pick, #31 pick

As a Blazers fan I think this would be a very smart move for Portland.

And Cleveland would probably like this because they would get their veteran All Star PF to go with Irving, Waiters & Varejao. Plus the Cavs have cap space so they would probably add a nice SF to go with the other starters. Plus, this would still leave the Cavs with their #19 pick.

Back to the Blazers. I like what this would mean longterm. We would have 6 of the Top 45 draft picks to play with. That's huge for a team lacking depth and looking to build for the future.

1. Tristan Thompson - he's a serviceable big man that has not yet come close to reaching his potential. And he has already shown more desire to play down on the block than Aldridge ever did.

2. #1 pick - SG Ben McLemore. I know the Blazers would probably take Nerlens Noel. But maybe for once they would take the dynamic wing player over the injury-waiting-to-happen big man. B-Mac would give the Blazers another much needed dynamic scorer to go with Lillard. Matthews & Batum aren't scorers. We desperately need a scoring wing player.

3. #10 pick - C Gorgui Dieng. Here's the funny thing. Noel is getting all the hype and all the pressure at that #1 spot. But the forgotten defensive stud big man in this draft is Gorgui Dieng from Louisville. He's a champion, and he has no injury concerns. He doesn't give anything offensively, but neither does Noel. On the defensive end Dieng is the next Serge Ibaka. He would be a great addition to the center position. We'd have Meyers Leonard for offense and Gorgui Dieng for defense.

4. #31 pick - PG Nate Wolters. How about an under the radar steal at the top of the 2nd round. This is a big PG (6 '5") that can shoot and run an offense. He's simply overlooked because he's white and played at South Dakota State. But he would be the perfect backup PG. Who knows if Eric Maynor comes back, but even if he does you can never have enough reliable PG's on a team.

5. #39, #40 & #45 picks - C Jeff Withey, PF Kenny Kadji & PF Ryan Kelly. Here is where we add depth to the front court position. We get another nice C prospect to go with Leonard & Dieng. And we get a pair of nice PF prospects, one who plays on the inside & and one that plays on the perimeter who can come off the bench as a deep threat.

6. Top 10 pick in the 2014 draft - Andrew Wiggins? Jabari Parker? Marcus Smart? Julius Randle? Willie Cauley-Stein? Noah Vonleh? This is probably the biggest part of the Aldridge trade that I like, and most people probably wouldn't think about. The Blazers have a Top 10 protected first round pick for the 2014 draft. Which means if we finish better than the worst 10 records in the league the pick goes to the Pelicans. By trading Aldridge and looking for the future this will ensure we will suck next year so we can add one final very important piece in the Top 10 of the next draft.

Portland will never become a contender through free agency. We HAVE to build through the draft.

2012 - Lillard, Leonard, Barton
2013 - McLemore, Dieng, Wolters, Withey, Kadji, Kelly
2014 - Top 10 stud

You add those 10 draft picks to Matthews, Batum & Thompson and now the Blazers would actually have something fun and exciting and potentially dangerous in a couple years.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not a bad trade idea but i doubt blazers would pull the trigger on it. It would have to be something that would wow season ticket holders. even though they are looking long term, you have to sell out your arena. The number 1 pick is always attractive but I dont think it is in this draft.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gist Im getting is that the Blazers are looking for a player to go with Aldridge and that LA isnt really even on the table

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that is realistic. That price is super steep for a good, not great player. Aldridge is talented, but he is no superstar. That price tag in your offer is a superstar type haul. Of course you would like it as a Blazer fan. This deal would be very short sighted on Cleveland's end, especially considering that the Cavs need a 5 a lot more than they need a skilled 4.

Only a horribly mismanaged franchise or a contender would pull the trigger on Cleveland's end of this. Cleveland is not a contender.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do it if I was Cleveland. Thompson is overrated, and I don't really see a future superstar in this year's draft. Cavs need to win now in order to win back the respect of fans and the media after the whole LeBron fiasco.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson is not anyehere near a top pick, still young but lacks offensive.

And getting Mclemore wouldn't make much sense considering we got a high potential SG in Waiters last yr.

And 3. This years draft is pretty weak. They need to trade for sone big name Whetger it is Aldridge, Love or another young talent.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kevin Love doesn't like Minnesota who's to say he's going to like Cleveland? To me, he looks like the next player who's going to bitch his way to a big market. If I'm Cleveland, I'd either sign Millsap or trade for Aldridge.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys are saying Cleveland is mismanaged then. If their goal is merely to get to the playoffs, this is a good deal. If it is to surround Kyrie Irving with a nuclues capable of contending in 3 years, then this deal sucks.

Teams who strive to be 5-8 seeds are doing things wrong. That is precisely what this deal would accomplish for Cleveland with all the assets they would give up.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys are saying Cleveland is mismanaged then. If their goal is merely to get to the playoffs, this is a good deal. If it is to surround Kyrie Irving with a nuclues capable of contending in 3 years, then this deal sucks.

Teams who strive to be 5-8 seeds are doing things wrong. That is precisely what this deal would accomplish for Cleveland with all the assets they would give up.

I don't see what Cleveland is giving that is that big of a deal. Thompson? Meh. #1 pick, eh a toss up, no big players in this draft. #31 probably nothing.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what Cleveland is giving that is that big of a deal. Thompson? Meh. #1 pick, eh a toss up, no big players in this draft. #31 probably nothing.

I agree. Thompson or any player in this draft is less value.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a bad trade for both teams. Cavs have a ton of cap space. If I was them, Id just take Otto Porter (maybe trade down to 2 or 3) and try to get Pau Gasol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were to pass on the trade, they would have to go with a guy like Otto Porter, who I like.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were to pass on the trade, they would have to go with a guy like Otto Porter, who I like.
Getting a '3rd banana' on offense and a potential lockdown defender on defense isn't a terrible way to spend a top pick in this draft.

According to wiki, btw, Porter's weight is only 8lbs less than Noel and the knock on Porter is that he is light. Noel is a major risk/reward guy

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more I think about it, keep the pick, take Noel. I do not think it is the risk we are thinking it is.

great post D which you need to compete in the east and pretty much anybody can score unless your name or father is Ben Wallace.

edit: did not know that about porter, take porter.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a bad trade for both teams. Cavs have a ton of cap space. If I was them, Id just take Otto Porter (maybe trade down to 2 or 3) and try to get Pau Gasol

Gasol blows. Why would you want to get him? Taking Porter is fine, I have no problem with that, but he doesn't make them a playoff team. They need a true big man, unless they think Zeller is the answer there alongside Varajo

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey tubbs, I think your signature is equal rights related, care to give some context?

also agree about pau, marc on the other hand...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gasol blows. Why would you want to get him? Taking Porter is fine, I have no problem with that, but he doesn't make them a playoff team. They need a true big man, unless they think Zeller is the answer there alongside Varajo
I wouldve said Al Jefferson but I dont think the Cavs can get him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why are you guys rushing the Cavs to pursue a short term plan to make the playoffs? Small and mid market teams that exercise patience and do it the right way, like the Grizzlies, Thunder and Pacers can build contending teams with a couple good moves. If you rush the process in an effort to make the playoffs, you end up like the Nets.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs best move might be to see how much they can get for Kyrie and then make a decision from there. Who knows who would give what for him?
He just always seems to be injured.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think striving for 5 or 6 seed is a bad thing. Look at the Warriors! I think you are doing something wrong if youre striving for the 7-8 seeds.