• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Black History Month -- ***** League Profiles

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some profiles of members of the ***** Leagues:
https://www.mlb.com/history/*****-leagues
I had the pleasure of meeting Buck O'Neil in Kansas City on several occasions. He was always willing to sign an autograph and talk to someone about the ***** Leagues. I also met Satchel Paige when I was about 5. My grandfather took me to see him and his team play in Iowa. He was amazing.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some profiles of members of the ***** Leagues:
I had the pleasure of meeting Buck O'Neil in Kansas City on several occasions. He was always willing to sign an autograph and talk to someone about the ***** Leagues. I also met Satchel Paige when I was about 5. My grandfather took me to see him and his team play in Iowa. He was amazing.
They were victims. I never got how Jackie Johnson and Jesse Ownes were able to compete on levels within their respected sports and Baseball who had the most to gain from incorporating those teams or signing prominent stars just didn't care. Baseball lost a lot of great talent. maybe the Yankees don't win 27 world series titles, maybe DiMaggio doesn't have the streak or Williams hitting 400. Yep Baseball lost

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a racist as the baseball commissioner (Landis), it isn't really a surprise to me. It would have been nice to see what Rube Foster could have done as a pitcher in the major leagues. Oscar Charleston, according to Buck O'Neil, was possibly the best player of all times. It is a shame that the general public couldn't have seen these guys in their primes. Satchel Paige came to the majors at around age 40 and still got the best hitters out. He guessed that he started 2500 games and won over 2000 of them in his long career. I saw him pitch in 1959 with his barnstorming team. He did things with a baseball that I've never seen again since then and I've seen some of the best pitchers pitch -- Koufax, Gibson, Bunning, Carleton, Santana, Felix and many other guys. None had the stuff that Satchel had.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a racist as the baseball commissioner (Landis), it isn't really a surprise to me. It would have been nice to see what Rube Foster could have done as a pitcher in the major leagues. Oscar Charleston, according to Buck O'Neil, was possibly the best player of all times. It is a shame that the general public couldn't have seen these guys in their primes. Satchel Paige came to the majors at around age 40 and still got the best hitters out. He guessed that he started 2500 games and won over 2000 of them in his long career. I saw him pitch in 1959 with his barnstorming team. He did things with a baseball that I've never seen again since then and I've seen some of the best pitchers pitch -- Koufax, Gibson, Bunning, Carleton, Santana, Felix and many other guys. None had the stuff that Satchel had.
MLB was segregated for over thirty years before Landis became commissioner.

Rube Foster was in his forties when Landis took over.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landis did everything he could to keep baseball segregated. People like Rube Foster wanted to try to compete with the white teams and they weren't allowed to do so. Had Landis not been such a racist, there is a really good chance that black players would have been able to play against Ruth, Hornsby, Ott, etc.
A businessman wanted to buy the Pirates or Phillies (I don't recall which) and staff it with black players, but Landis made sure someone else was awarded the team.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge fan of old blues music, this is the first male star of them blues Texan Blind Lemon Jefferson and his classic, Blake Snake Moan, obviously not singing about no snake.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landis did everything he could to keep baseball segregated. People like Rube Foster wanted to try to compete with the white teams and they weren't allowed to do so. Had Landis not been such a racist, there is a really good chance that black players would have been able to play against Ruth, Hornsby, Ott, etc.
A businessman wanted to buy the Pirates or Phillies (I don't recall which) and staff it with black players, but Landis made sure someone else was awarded the team.
You do realize the ***** League weren’t in favor of breaking the “color barrier”. Foster wanted to make play in the major leagues, not once he got a financial stake. Foster fought tooth and nail to stop the ***** Leagues who were owned by whitey. Landis’s views on race had nothing to do with why baseball was segregated. Just as Branch Rickey wasn’t some social justice crusader, it was financial.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***** is blocked? What about ******? What kind of ****** bullshit is this? Leave it up to the ***** to infringe on my 1st amendment rights. What's next? **** *** ******!

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize the ***** League weren’t in favor of breaking the “color barrier”. Foster wanted to make play in the major leagues, not once he got a financial stake. Foster fought tooth and nail to stop the ***** Leagues who were owned by whitey. Landis’s views on race had nothing to do with why baseball was segregated. Just as Branch Rickey wasn’t some social justice crusader, it was financial.
I have to disagree with a lot of what you said here. True, Rickey made a great deal of money after bringing Jackie Robinson to the majors, but he had been scouting the black leagues for several years to find the right guy to bring in.
Landis did all he could to stop blacks from playing in the majors through his term as commissioner.
As to Foster trying to keep the black leagues in black hands, that might have been a good idea. White people made a great deal of money on the black leagues.
The downside to integration was that there were, and still are, fewer black Americans employed in baseball than there were prior to 1947.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge fan of old blues music, this is the first male star of them blues Texan Blind Lemon Jefferson and his classic, Blake Snake Moan, obviously not singing about no snake.

I love the old blues, Blind Willie McTell, Son House, Pink Anderson Mississippi John Hurt, Mance Lipscomb, to name a few but my favorite was Bukka White

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with a lot of what you said here. True, Rickey made a great deal of money after bringing Jackie Robinson to the majors, but he had been scouting the black leagues for several years to find the right guy to bring in.
Landis did all he could to stop blacks from playing in the majors through his term as commissioner.
As to Foster trying to keep the black leagues in black hands, that might have been a good idea. White people made a great deal of money on the black leagues.
The downside to integration was that there were, and still are, fewer black Americans employed in baseball than there were prior to 1947.
You have to remember that blacks in football ( before the NFL ) had forme their own league and several turned down a chance to play in the white leagues. Blacks weren't comfortable ( remember big money and professional athletics hadn't taken off yet except baseball )

I'd have to say Landis wasn't in favor of integrated leagues. but there is truth to blacks not wanting to participate

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some did, some didn't. Its a shame that they weren't allowed to compete. Satchel Paige always said that he wished he would have had a chance to strike Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb out.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look back I think some black players could have done very well but I also think you have to realize the overall volume of players may have been fine for their league but not as pros' It's all about resources and blacks didn't have it so they weren't as impressive to the major league. Time, however, caught up and I think a lot of clubs saw that's all they ( blacks) needed. It was the right time in the '40s and owners started to realize it. By the '50s a new generation, one dull of athleticism and skill arrived and the barriers were broke forever ( in every sport ). I'd say the timing was the main setback.
There are accounts of hate and prejudice for sure but I do believe the timing was the factor in integration

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love the old blues, Blind Willie McTell, Son House, Pink Anderson Mississippi John Hurt, Mance Lipscomb, to name a few but my favorite was Bukka White

PINK Anderson is the Pink in Pink Floyd, Bluesma

PINK Anderson is the Pink in Pink Floyd, here is the FLOYD....

How those guys knew about these old bluesmen pre 1940????

I own all that blues stuff, talking guys like Bo Jones who recorded one record, The more obscure the better.

Bukka White one of the founders of them Mississippi Delta blues, while Anderson and Floyd from that Piedmont school. Bukka a cousin of BB King. Dude is known for his train songs.

Blind Wille McTell is Bob Dylans fav bluesman.

Skip James always get stuck in the Delta by record companies, he was from Bentonia, not in the Delta. His Devil Got My Woman one of the true blues classic's.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PINK Anderson is the Pink in Pink Floyd, Bluesma

PINK Anderson is the Pink in Pink Floyd, here is the FLOYD....

How those guys knew about these old bluesmen pre 1940????

I own all that blues stuff, talking guys like Bo Jones who recorded one record, The more obscure the better.

Bukka White one of the founders of them Mississippi Delta blues, while Anderson and Floyd from that Piedmont school. Bukka a cousin of BB King. Dude is known for his train songs.

Blind Wille McTell is Bob Dylans fav bluesman.

Skip James always get stuck in the Delta by record companies, he was from Bentonia, not in the Delta. His Devil Got My Woman one of the true blues classic's.
They've all loaded in my I tunes library. And I love Pink Floyd, still one of my favorite concerts ( dark side of the moon )

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a surprise. Black musicians have been revered for generations.
PBS is playing a documentary on Marian Anderson right now. That woman had one of the best voices I've ever heard.
And by the way, I still have my Dark Side of the Moon LP. The poster has been opened 3 times.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a surprise. Black musicians have been revered for generations.
PBS is playing a documentary on Marian Anderson right now. That woman had one of the best voices I've ever heard.
And by the way, I still have my Dark Side of the Moon LP. The poster has been opened 3 times.
It's always a shame when Gilmour is not respected enough as a guitar great and these albums Floyd put out resonate in his genius

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilmour was a very good artist. One of my favorites.