• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bird-Magic & Crosby-OV

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to post this a ways back on the "other" board some of us used, but I knew it would just become troll fodder and degrade into some discussion with a bunch of <s and >s in it.

HBO Sports did a great piece on Bird & Magic chronicling their careers, relationship, and impact on the sport. I enjoyed watching it and also thought a lot of their experiences and personality were very similar to what we've seen from Crosby and Ovechkin so far....

Bird and Magic both entered the NBA with much hype in the late 70s after the NBA and ABA had merged. League ratings were at an all-time low and fans saw the league as "too black" and thuggish (note - not my words, from the documentary, and not thuggish like gangsta, but too physical, fights in games, and generally ungraceful and uncivilized).

Crosby and Ovechkin also both entered the league with much hype after the NHL had it's lockout, lost a major television contract, and with rule changes to make the game less "thuggish."​

Bird was characterized as very private, kinda quiet, and a blue-collar kinda guy who worked very hard.

Crosby is known for his physical regiment, keeps a lower profile, and is known as a good "values" kinda guy.​

Magic was flashier, outspoken, and loved the crowds. In the documentary, he even talks about how Earvin and Magic are too different people in his eyes.

Ovechkin is viewed as being more flamboyant and reckless both on and off the ice.​

Bird became a lightning rod for fans of white America in a league that was predominantly black while Magic garnered a lot of support from the African American community, even in Bird's Boston.

Ovechkin is Russian and Crosby is Canadian. Both are often ascribed stereotypes that fit the type of hockey players that come from those places.​

Bird had success early on and beat Magic in their first head-to-head for an NBA title, but Magic ultimately won more titles over his career and had a better supporting cast.

Crosby won the Cup first and beat Ovechkin's Caps in a 7-game series last year. Time will tell if the Caps are the deeper team and will have more of less success than the Pens.​

Anyhow, I just thought the parallels were interesting. All incredible players who will be considered among the games' best, all players helping their sport come out from some less popular era, and all play some roll as some type of archetype for society.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would make bobby orr wilt chamberlain, and gretzky and lemieux ???

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread. I had been hoping for an intelligent discussion about this for a while.

Some of the parallels can even get flipped when comparing the two great rivalries. One player is known as more of a playmaker than an all-out scorer, though this season screwed with all of our heads.

As a Penguins fan, I love watching Ovechkin play because of the contrast to what I see from Crosby. One player scores primarily dirty, near the net goals and the other with highlight reel dekes and shots. Those styles are so strong that their teams have adopted their captains mindsets.

This rivalry seems to reflect how competitive this league is now. There's no one man domination like in previous eras, there are two faces to the league. I'm not saying they are the greatest or most valuable, but they do a great job of bringing in more fans. That's something this league desperately needs.

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ovechkin is Russian and Crosby is Canadian. Both are often ascribed stereotypes that fit the type of hockey players that come from those places.​
I'm not sure about that. If anything, Crosby plays more Russian, team-oriented, think-first hockey.
Ovechkin is all about power, almoust typical Canadian power forward. Think Cam Nealy, only bigger, faster and with more skill.
I can't recall anyone from the past playing Ovechkin style in Russia. Maybe Yakushev, but that's about it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recall anyone from the past playing Ovechkin style in Russia. Maybe Yakushev, but that's about it.

Pavel Bure comes to mind...and when he felt the urge, he could deliver an elbow (about 40 seconds in (watch the slot area))

[youtube]-ZCuZ5UWEV0[/youtube]

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pavel Bure comes to mind...and when he felt the urge, he could deliver an elbow (about 40 seconds in (watch the slot area))

[youtube]-ZCuZ5UWEV0[/youtube]
That's an exception. Bure wasn't like that.
Bure was an essential Russian winger - I can name quite a few guys like him, hailing from Russian system. Ovechkin is something else.

Crosby, though, is a lot like good old Boris Mikhailov. Only more skilled and less nasty :)

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, OV is something special, it's just when I think of speed and goal scoring ability, it's tough not to think of Bure (especially in his Vancouver days when he routinely burned the Flames).

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I like, every time you think one of them has firmly grasped the "best player" mantle, the other does something amazing. Never gets old.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I like, every time you think one of them has firmly grasped the "best player" mantle, the other does something amazing. Never gets old.

I completely agree. They both have such impressive, yet such different resumes. Ovechkin has more individual hardware and Crosby has more team-based accolades. There is no wrong answer in who the most valuable is because great arguments can be made for each.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately they can not meet in the finals. I have no problem with either player, other than the hate for every star player not on my team. If either guy was signed by my team I would welcome them whole heartedly. I guess the hate is the jealousy we feel because the media and other fans talk about them and ignore "our" guys.
I am afraid Stamkos is going to be the next guy that they talk about. Of course my team has Doughty and you all will be "hating" him even sooner. :)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately they can not meet in the finals. I have no problem with either player, other than the hate for every star player not on my team. If either guy was signed by my team I would welcome them whole heartedly. I guess the hate is the jealousy we feel because the media and other fans talk about them and ignore "our" guys.
I am afraid Stamkos is going to be the next guy that they talk about. Of course my team has Doughty and you all will be "hating" him even sooner. :)

I don't think I could even hate Doughty. What a player.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still true almost a decade later.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I could even hate Doughty

Matthew Tkachuk says Hi Drew

M36zsCJ.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like OV. He might be the best goalscorer I've ever seen.

But Crosby is a much, much better hockey player than he is. That may have been debatable 8 years ago but it's a closed book at this point.

OV is the best goal scorer since Brett Hull who took over the title from Mike Bossy - As far as Crosby - OV is concerned, I would love to have either on the Flames, but would chose Crosby over OV.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like OV. He might be the best goalscorer I've ever seen.

But Crosby is a much, much better hockey player than he is. That may have been debatable 8 years ago but it's a closed book at this point.

Disagree. But I think the team that's won 2 President's Trophies and the Stanley Cup in the last 3 years will make the playoffs next season... so what do I know. ;)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OV is the best goal scorer since Brett Hull who took over the title from Mike Bossy - As far as Crosby - OV is concerned, I would love to have either on the Flames, but would chose Crosby over OV.

Even assuming the team results would follow them to whatever team and that neither of them will never be a champion again (I wouldn't bet on it), I'd take 1 Cup with OV over 3 Cups with Crosby.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been here since 2010?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even assuming the team results would follow them to whatever team and that neither of them will never be a champion again (I wouldn't bet on it), I'd take 1 Cup with OV over 3 Cups with Crosby.

I just wonder how much damage the Flames could have done with Crosby and Iggy on the top line.