• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bills CB Vontae Davis retires at halftime vs Chargers

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels good not being the biggest dumpster fire

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy... Said he couldn't do it physically anymore. I'm sure realizing he wouldn't be playing for anything more than a rebuild helped.

Only thing that would really piss me off is if at some point he asks for his release to catch on with a different team. But as long as he stays retired, whatever.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
1433853459_VontaeDavisGoingHome.jpg.35ddd1f7b9b614c96ad8f2e0d61a2946.jpg

:rofl:

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis' anthem right now:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy... Said he couldn't do it physically anymore. I'm sure realizing he wouldn't be playing for anything more than a rebuild helped.

Only thing that would really piss me off is if at some point he asks for his release to catch on with a different team. But as long as he stays retired, whatever.

He already had a statement prepared, not buying the "spur of the moment" decision.

The way he was playing, nobody is going to sign him even if he did try that.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. I just know prison does the opposite of help and rehabilitate, sadly.
Totally disagree. You are using data or studies for criminals in general to come up with that opinion, I assume? You don't think locking up someone like Davis will send him a message and get him to change his ways? Wanna bet Lori Loughlin never gets involved in another College entrance scandal or anything similar?

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally disagree. You are using data or studies for criminals in general to come up with that opinion, I assume? You don't think locking up someone like Davis will send him a message and get him to change his ways? Wanna bet Lori Loughlin never gets involved in another College entrance scandal or anything similar?

They should probably get him a new Tesla and tell him to never do it again.......that'll teach him

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think retribution does much of anything on its own, to be frank. We have a near endless volume of research on how ineffective negative reinforcement is psychologically in general, and for longer periods of time. All that really happens when you up the punishment to prison time is you get some conditioned to... commit criminal offenses.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think retribution does much of anything on its own, to be frank. We have a near endless volume of research on how ineffective negative reinforcement is psychologically in general, and for longer periods of time. All that really happens when you up the punishment to prison time is you get some conditioned to... commit criminal offenses.

Negative reinforcement isnt the same thing as punishment.

Negative reinforcement isnt always effective as you say. Especially depending on how it is applied when trying to change behavior.

However punishment in psychology is shown to be extremely effective when trying to change behavior.

As it applies to criminal justice, the quicker we can throw people who break the law in jail immediately after their actions the better. And of course it needs to be consistently applied to everyone (in other words if you arent catching some criminals, it becomes somewhat less effective).

It really is the exact opposite of what is happening right now when it comes to bail and such. Allowing more people out on bail and their court cases taking longer to get through the system actually makes punishment a less effective tool in trying to change behavior. It's something to think about when you hear people talk about criminal justice reform. A lot of what they are asking for will actually make the effort to change behavior in the future less effective.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it seems you are using statistics for those sent to prison in general and not for a guy like Davis specifically. The devil is in the details. I do have my opinions on the "run of the mill" convict as well, but don't want to go down that road and I do think it's a debatable topic, but not with a guy like Davis. You think Davis is going to come out and start selling crack, carjacking or robbing bodegas? Or that he's going to drink and drive more often? I just don't buy painting everyone with the same brush