• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BIGTEN United

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is more powerful? The PAC12 Players Union or the Big Ten Players Union?

It's over, guys. You realize that, right?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is more powerful? The PAC12 Players Union or the Big Ten Players Union?

It's over, guys. You realize that, right?
For the NCAA, that might be the case. This pandemic is already proving how little power the NCAA has over the P5; as they independently are rescheduling, coming up with guidelines and cutting off play to the other leagues. All while the NCAA sends out cryptic messages that say nothing. Once the players organize and demand shit, it's going to be the P5 leagues that band together and form their own thing they can control, but more importantly, can meet the demands of the players making them hundreds of millions of dollars.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the NCAA, that might be the case. This pandemic is already proving how little power the NCAA has over the P5; as they independently are rescheduling, coming up with guidelines and cutting off play to the other leagues. All while the NCAA sends out cryptic messages that say nothing. Once the players organize and demand shit, it's going to be the P5 leagues that band together and form their own thing they can control, but more importantly, can meet the demands of the players making them hundreds of millions of dollars.
As soon as players start making organized demands, college football as we've known it our whole lives is over.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as players start making organized demands, college football as we've known it our whole lives is over.
Won't be over, just changed. I don't think if players start getting paid, start getting more medical insurance, maybe even take fewer classes, that it really changes much. Most of that stuff is happening behind the scenes anyway. It formalized it.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in no way a fan of the NCAA. I believe them to be an out-of-touch painfully inept organization and its demise would make me happy.

College athletes unionizing also means they will want paid. And that is a miserable failure waiting to happen

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't be over, just changed. I don't think if players start getting paid, start getting more medical insurance, maybe even take fewer classes, that it really changes much. Most of that stuff is happening behind the scenes anyway. It formalized it.
100% against paying athletes. If that happens, it will be a decision they will regret.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% against paying athletes. If that happens, it will be a decision they will regret.
It's going to happen. Once players realize they have all the power in this scheme that gets Jim Harbaugh $9 million a year, while they eat slop from the dining halls, then we'll see the scales shift. All they have to do is threaten not to play, unified, and that's it. They aren't going to replace entire rosters with walk-ons. And hten players will get paid and nothing will really change. In fact, we may see players stick around longer and start to play in bowl games again.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's semantics. I said " as we know it" it will be over, so obviously it will be changed.
You could say that for any change in CFB. In the last two decades it's changed "as we know it" at least 2-5 times in major ways.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could say that for any change in CFB. In the last two decades it's changed "as we know it" at least 2-5 times in major ways.
You're just being obtuse. The meaning of what I said was clear.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to happen. Once players realize they have all the power in this scheme that gets Jim Harbaugh $9 million a year, while they eat slop from the dining halls, then we'll see the scales shift. All they have to do is threaten not to play, unified, and that's it. They aren't going to replace entire rosters with walk-ons. And hten players will get paid and nothing will really change. In fact, we may see players stick around longer and start to play in bowl games again.

Sorry but do you actually believe the revenue sport athletes eat slop in a dining hall? Free education aside..they also receive free medical care, personal tutors, don't have to actually attend class, have fantastic food, and usually reside in segregated housing.

Paying athletes...lets's think about this:
1) If they are paid, are they prepared to pay taxes? Because that is income

2) Are they prepared to manage their money? Because I don't want to hear someone bitch and moan they ran out and want their school to bail them out

3) No more scholarships...you are getting paid

4) Who decides what the salary is? I can promise you there will be a lawsuit and Title IX violations ASAP because the girls' lacrosse team won't be getting paid like the football team

5) Does All-American LT get paid the same as All-American QB? Because All-American LT isn't going to sell as many jerseys as All-American QB but is just as important. That could cause some issues.

6) Athletes better be made to sign a contract...which includes clauses for conduct and behavior. Because when people start paying you money they also expect things in return.

7) If you are being paid, you can also be fired or terminated. I.e. if you are not performing you should lose your job

8) They should be responsible for paying for their own housing and food

Haven't seen a plan yet or heard anyone come up with any good responses to these. But yea go ahead and pay 'em

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't lump what the BigTen players want in with what the PAC-12 players want.

The sports writing media is certainly trying to sell that and of course turn that into the narrative that all these college athletes from all over the country and different conferences are teaming up to create all sorts of demands.

That isn't the case here.

BigTen players are asking for very reasonable and obtainable requests and it makes sense. Can't say the same for the PAC-12. It's two completely different things.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could go back to just college football circa 1999-2006 rules, where players could work at car dealerships.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but do you actually believe the revenue sport athletes eat slop in a dining hall? Free education aside..they also receive free medical care, personal tutors, don't have to actually attend class, have fantastic food, and usually reside in segregated housing.

Paying athletes...lets's think about this:
1) If they are paid, are they prepared to pay taxes? Because that is income

2) Are they prepared to manage their money? Because I don't want to hear someone bitch and moan they ran out and want their school to bail them out

3) No more scholarships...you are getting paid

4) Who decides what the salary is? I can promise you there will be a lawsuit and Title IX violations ASAP because the girls' lacrosse team won't be getting paid like the football team

5) Does All-American LT get paid the same as All-American QB? Because All-American LT isn't going to sell as many jerseys as All-American QB but is just as important. That could cause some issues.

6) Athletes better be made to sign a contract...which includes clauses for conduct and behavior. Because when people start paying you money they also expect things in return.

7) If you are being paid, you can also be fired or terminated. I.e. if you are not performing you should lose your job

8) They should be responsible for paying for their own housing and food

Haven't seen a plan yet or heard anyone come up with any good responses to these. But yea go ahead and pay 'em

I'm not sure how any of those change the game? Those are all things that could be worked out in negotiations with any player's union that exists. And I'm also pretty sure scholarships will be part of their compensation for playing. You can say "if you're getting paid you shouldn't get a scholarship" until you're blue in the face, but that won't probably be a realistic outcome. Kids are removed from teams, removed from scholarships, greyshirted as is. I'm sure schools would find loopholes just hte same to "fire" a kid but I doubt it would be viewed as being fired.

Most likely you'll see some sort of revenue share in the next couple of decades; combined with scholarships, housing, and food that they already get. Along with what's coming, the ability to make money on likeness. I'm not sure how title IX would come into play, but I'm not sure it would violate Title IX to say "Athletes get 25% equally split of revenue generated by their own sport, all athletes get 10% of the overall AD revenue". If your sport gets no revenue you don't get paid. Pretty simple actually.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just being obtuse. The meaning of what I said was clear.
And I thought my response was legitimate. When we went to the BCS it was "this will ruin CFB". When we went to the playoff it was "this will ruin CFB". When targeting was introduced, "This will ruin football". Athletes profiting on their name, "this will ruin football".

You could debate if these made football better or worse, but football is still awesome. And I doubt allowing the players to unionize will dramatically impact the product we see on the field.