• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big Guns Plus One Theory

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we want to make it back to the playoffs, there's a simply theory that should get us there.

I term this Big Guns + One.

Essentially,

If we can go a majority of our games with the "Big Guns" (The top 6 forwards) getting two goals PLUS one additional goal from the bottom 6 or the defense, we'll win a majority of games.

Essentially this means that

Parise - 40
Kovy - 40
Elias - 25
Sykora - 20
Zajac - 18
Palmieri - 17

Big Guns - 160 Goals

Bottom 6

JJ, Tedenby, Henrique, Zubrus, Clarkson, Boulton

65 Combined

Defense

15 Combined Goals.

Total 240 Goals for the season. 3.0 per game, combined with an assumed top 10 defense will get us to the brink at least.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Note: 240 Goals would be just two shy of our post lockout high of 242 which we hit twice. Once the first year post lockout and the Carolina playoff loss year.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think teddy is gonna need to see if he can pot 15 or so.
only because zajac is probably not gonna be back in time to make a real push for twenty just when i consider he's previous totals off the top of my head with a full year

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Zajac topped out at 25G a few years ago. If he missed 1/4 of the season, but was able to return to that pace, he'd be able to pot 18-20. We'll see. Either way, what it boils down to is whoever fills that 2C slot needs to score 20 goals over the course of the season.

Also, IMO the two most important numbers on that list are 1, and 1a. They need to combine for 80+ and 100 would be even better. haha. Dueling Richard finalists. That would be a sight to behold on a Devils team. Funny thing is, I don't think it's all that unfathomable, but they will need to start making things happen on the PP.

Last edited by a moderator:

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Definitely agree with that. Although i think my thing at the minute is not wanting to assume too much.

I mean i dunno about anyone else but i think it's easy to just assume that Parise & Kovy will bag 40 each but for to actually happen is a different thing. I mean they probably if not definitely should with their skill levels but yeah i think importantly if they don't, hopefully the lower guys or others will surprise us and add to the goal total.

Not meaning to sound pessimistic at all just gotta remember last season i think i was one of them too and i know others did predict Kovy to easily put 35-40 away and he just beat 30 which is the bar we're setting for Elias really.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Definitely agree with that. Although i think my thing at the minute is not wanting to assume too much.

I mean i dunno about anyone else but i think it's easy to just assume that Parise & Kovy will bag 40 each but for to actually happen is a different thing. I mean they probably if not definitely should with their skill levels but yeah i think importantly if they don't, hopefully the lower guys or others will surprise us and add to the goal total.

Not meaning to sound pessimistic at all just gotta remember last season i think i was one of them too and i know others did predict Kovy to easily put 35-40 away and he just beat 30 which is the bar we're setting for Elias really.

The most important this to remember though is Parise's return. It's way more important than most consider it to be. You're essentially creating a second target the opposing team has to deal with. That means that, unlike last year, teams can't just target Ilya's line and cruise to victory.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Biggest key is powerplay. Can't go 0-5 0-6 anymore and expect to win many games. Devils have to get their pp in the top 10-15 range

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Biggest key is powerplay. Can't go 0-5 0-6 anymore and expect to win many games. Devils have to get their pp in the top 10-15 range

Agreed.