• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Better in the 90's?

Better in the 90's?

• Stone Temple Pilots

• Soundgarden

Results are only viewable after voting.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never really was a big grunge guy per se...

For every mainstream success, there are better bands that nobody knew of.

Bands from that era, that I like waaay better than the OP's listed...

The Cows
Mr. Bungle
The Jesus Lizard
Kyuss
Butthole Surfers
Buzzoven
Clutch
Melvins
Fu Manchu

That's just off the top of my head, but I'd take everyone of em' over any of the more commercially successful bands of that time.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soundgarden were better musicians, but I liked STP more.
Grunge bands go like this if you’re just considering the ‘successful’ ones and not the original bands all of them formed from or super group lineups.

Pearl Jam > Nirvana/Soundgarden > Mudhoney > Alice In Chains

Stone temple pilots is not on the list.

pretty much.

I still like Pearl Jam, but my god Ten did not age well IMO. I think Vs. and Vitalogy were way better albums.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still listen to Ten on a regular basis. I am okay with anyone who says Vitalogy is their best album, however.

I actually think Soundgarden is clearly behind Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Its not until you factor in Temple of the Dog and Audioslave where Cornell starts having enough that can stand up with the other bands. I figure I'm in the minority on that one.

STP is another tier lower than Soundgarden. If I did a top 5 between the two bands, Soundgarden would probably have all 5 songs.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STP, and it isn't even close.

Soundgarden has two or three recognizable songs. Black Hole Sun (because of the video), Fell on Black Days, and Spoonman.

Meanwhile STP has Interstate Love Song, Big Empty, Plush, Vasoline, Wicked Garden. Soundgarden has the best video, but STP has the best song.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pearl Jam bores the shit out of me. Vedder sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles. IMO, they are one of the most overrated bands of all-time. I would take STP over them any day of the week.

I'm obviously a big Pearl Jam fan, so I'm biased, but I'll try to be as objective as posible. Ten, Vs and Vitalogy are great albums, IMO better than (or at least on par with) anything from STP or SG. No Code, Yield and Binaual have some great songs and a lot of filler, but I think that they are still pretty solid.

I'd agree that, for casual listeners, they have been a bit difficult to listen to since Riot Act. They've become very repetitive, and frankly haven't written a great song since "Nothing as it seems" in 2000 (with the possible exception of Sirens).

The one big thing PJ has going for them is that they totally kick ass live. They can sing a song as simple as "Better Man" or "Parachutes" and bring down the house.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grunge bands go like this if you’re just considering the ‘successful’ ones and not the original bands all of them formed from or super group lineups.

Pearl Jam > Nirvana/Soundgarden > Mudhoney > Alice In Chains

Stone temple pilots is not on the list.

I like Mudhoney, but you're vastly overrating them IMO. Are you lumping SP in with grunge (I don't)?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STP, and it isn't even close.

Soundgarden has two or three recognizable songs. Black Hole Sun (because of the video), Fell on Black Days, and Spoonman.

Meanwhile STP has Interstate Love Song, Big Empty, Plush, Vasoline, Wicked Garden. Soundgarden has the best video, but STP has the best song.

If you want to focus on radio hits, sure. I like both, but Soundgarden is more interesting musically IMO.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've become very repetitive, and frankly haven't written a great song since "Nothing as it seems" in 2000 (with the possible exception of Sirens).
You don't like anything from Avacado? I think my Pearl Jam playlist has 4 songs from their self-titled effort

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't like anything from Avacado? I think my Pearl Jam playlist has 4 songs from their self-titled effort

I do, but I'm a fan. I love "Parachutes" live. I also like Gone, Come Back and WWS, but none of these reach anything close to the highs of the best songs from any of their first 6 albums. Even the weakest of the first six, No Code IMO, has a couple of all timers and a few other solid songs.

OTOH, I think that "Let's Play Two" is absolutely great. Their studio albums just lack the energy they have in their live performances.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do, but I'm a fan. I love "Parachutes" live. I also like Gone, Come Back and WWS, but none of these reach anything close to the highs of the best songs from any of their first 6 albums. Even the weakest of the first six, No Code IMO, has a couple of all timers and a few other solid songs.

OTOH, I think that "Let's Play Two" is absolutely great. Their studio albums just lack the energy they have in their live performances.
I probably have slightly different tastes because I have Marker in the Sand, Army Reserve, Come Back and Inside Job all in my Pearl Jam playlist mixed in with a lot of the classics.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never heard of sound garden... Probably heard some songs... But no clue about them...

I at least heard of the stone temple pilots... although, I cant name one song they have sang....

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matchbox 20 and Collective Soul are my two favorite 90's bands.