• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best fit for for Pro Bowl SS Landon Collins?

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New York Giants failed to sign Pro Bowl Strong Safety Landon Collins, and decided to not to use the franchise tag on him, resulting in Collins becoming a free agent. With that being said, what team would be the best fit for Collins, and is he worth a max contract, making him the highest paid Strong Safety in the NFL? What say you SportsHoopla?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New York Giants failed to sign Pro Bowl Strong Safety Landon Collins, and decided to not to use the franchise tag on him, resulting in Collins becoming a free agent. With that being said, what team would be the best fit for Collins, and is he worth a max contract, making him the highest paid Strong Safety in the NFL? What say you SportsHoopla?
Bears. Too bad they don’t want him.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are the best fit.

Gettleman is a moron, though.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will KC have CAP room to sign him?
More than enough after they cut Houston and probably Berry if the Collins rumors are correct.

30M+ for this offseason after cutting Houston, Berry, and Sorensen. Possibly more if they traded Ford. Combine that with some manipulation and a cheap QB, and you can hand out a few pricey contracts this offseason ala the Rams if that's their MO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The box SS is a valuable player...especially one that can cover AND be a run force.

Idk see Collins enough to say for sure where his game is, or to answer the question is he worth a top dollar?

Off the top of my head I say no to top dollar, but will be highly paid so one of the teams with a lot of cap space is where I would start.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come to Pittsburgh, Landon

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than enough after they cut Houston and probably Berry if the Collins rumors are correct.

30M+ for this offseason after cutting Houston, Berry, and Sorensen. Possibly more if they traded Ford. Combine that with some manipulation and a cheap QB, and you can hand out a few pricey contracts this offseason ala the Rams if that's their MO.
Think a big chunk of that goes to Hill and his record setting contract, if rumors are correct.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is going to be hurt by the current trend toward "interchangeable safeties", or basically playing two cover free safety types. The strong safety is a dying breed.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

30M+ after cutting Houston, Berry, and Sorensen. Possibly more if they traded Ford. Combine that with some manipulation and a cheap QB, and you can hand out a few pricey contracts this offseason ala the Rams if that's their MO.

I can believe Berry will be gone...just can't stay on the field.

Seems like the focus would be on the edge players if they are indeed moving to a 43. Does Chris Jones move to DT? I assume he would.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think a big chunk of that goes to Hill and his record setting contract, if rumors are correct.
No doubt. They'll backload some of these, and some of them won't start this year. Hill for example still has one year left on his rookie deal, as does Jones.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is going to be hurt by the current trend toward "interchangeable safeties", or basically playing two cover free safety types. The strong safety is a dying breed.

Idk about that...as sub pkgs have become the norm in the NFL, I'm seeing more teams going big nickel, taking a LB or DT off the field in lieu of a 3rd S.

Now obviously we're not looking at Collins as a sub pkg guy, but I don't see the SS position going away...especially for teams that do not have a LB capable of covering the TE down the seam.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is very flawed. He will get a big contract but no chance he is the highest paid safety. Giants didn't want to give him $11M for one year. I can't imagine another team wants to for multiple years. Maybe 5 years $42-$45M?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. They'll backload some of these, and some of them won't start this year. Hill for example still has one year left on his rookie deal, as does Jones.
Could be, but with Mahomes needing to extended in a couple years maybe it's prudent to front load it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk about that...as sub pkgs have become the norm in the NFL, I'm seeing more teams going big nickel, taking a LB or DT off the field in lieu of a 3rd S.

Now obviously we're not looking at Collins as a sub pkg guy, but I don't see the SS position going away...especially for teams that do not have a LB capable of covering the TE down the seam.

That's true, some teams are using 3 safety packages more, etc. But if you look at the free agent market, there is a flood of safeties on the market. The position is simply not highly valued by the league. And right now, guys who are not pure cover safeties and are more box safety types are really not valued.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs blew their wad on two bad free agency signings last year. Despite the Giants connections with Spags, I dont think the Chiefs should go this route.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, some teams are using 3 safety packages more, etc. But if you look at the free agent market, there is a flood of safeties on the market. The position is simply not highly valued by the league. And right now, guys who are not pure cover safeties and are more box safety types are really not valued.

Well...we have seen the S market go down agree there, some of that is due to the CFB market...but I'm not seeing a slew of star power on the open market this season.

Where I agree is pure box safeties are a dying bred, you must be able to cover....I still think players like Mathieu are in demand and I think we'll see that in their contract values. Most of the players that are SS FAs are not notable names. When Keanu Neal (Falcons) comes up for FA...I feel pretty sure he'll command top dollar.

This is not a devaluation along the line of the FB position imo….I think the 3 down ILBs are becoming more scarce (due to skillset) so teams are using a 3rd S a lot more.