• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals release Gio

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably the right move given his contract and his declining productivity in the run game. But its a tough move for the locker room and Gio was one of Zac's biggest public supporters.

This could mean that the team is planning a few more FA additions before the draft.... Or, they are freeing up cash for contract extensions to Bates and others.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to Mixon's inevitable injury that keeps him out 3+ weeks and they have no run game.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to Mixon's inevitable injury that keeps him out 3+ weeks and they have no run game.

It's not like Gio saved our running game last year.... Though to be fair, it's not clear that many running backs would have success behind that line. I guess it is telling though that they started using Perine more late in the year.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, they are looking more towards perine, I bet they sign some college free agent as well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they like Perrine - plus the Bengals were #1 in salary for RB's with both Mixon and Gio. You just can't have that with the type of offense that is going to be centered around Burrow. My guess is either a late round pick, or UDFA.

As for saving the cash - they have enough to extend both Hubbard and Bates already - and want to get both done prior to the season - so I don't think it really does a ton for them in that sense. Maybe it does free up a little simply to add to another F/A signing, likely after the draft to shore up a few spots they may not get to hit on during the draft.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW -- I think Gio played a big role (one his fault; one not his fault) in two playoff losses during his career here.

2013 - The San Diego game turned on a brutal fumble by Gio as he crossed the five yard line. We would have likely gone up in that game 14-7 and put some pressure on San Diego's fairly conservative offense that day. Instead we held them on D and had to settle for a field goal going in at half.

2015 - I always wonder whether Jeremy Hill would have been in that game late against the Steelers if Gio wasn't knocked out of the game. Hill had several issues with fumbling early in the season and I wouldn't have trusted him in that situation if I had another option. I could have very easily seen them going with Gio to run it three times (bleeding the Steelers timeouts) and extending the lead.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like Gio saved our running game last year.... Though to be fair, it's not clear that many running backs would have success behind that line. I guess it is telling though that they started using Perine more late in the year.
Fair. But at least Gio knows how to pick up a blitzer.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW -- I think Gio played a big role (one his fault; one not his fault) in two playoff losses during his career here.

2013 - The San Diego game turned on a brutal fumble by Gio as he crossed the five yard line. We would have likely gone up in that game 14-7 and put some pressure on San Diego's fairly conservative offense that day. Instead we held them on D and had to settle for a field goal going in at half.

2015 - I always wonder whether Jeremy Hill would have been in that game late against the Steelers if Gio wasn't knocked out of the game. Hill had several issues with fumbling early in the season and I wouldn't have trusted him in that situation if I had another option. I could have very easily seen them going with Gio to run it three times (bleeding the Steelers timeouts) and extending the lead.

Dalton gets so much of the blame for the playoff losses but that San Diego game 100% turned after that fumble..

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair. But at least Gio knows how to pick up a blitzer.

Agreed. I will miss Gio. I always liked what he brought to the game. I think the team is definitely worse without him, but I understand why they won't pay him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't really looked through the draft to see what late round RB would be out there - since I watch a ton of UC I do know Doaks will be available. He's a bigger back in the 230 range (IIRC) but the guy can play special teams, he's a hell of a pass-catcher out of the backfield, and he's a solid blocker in the backfield. Would be a good 6th round, or later, guy to pick up for a special teams, development kind of role that can see some 3rd downs as a pass-catcher and/or blocker.

I have no idea how well Perrine handles those duties - so if he can help in those areas - then it makes more sense to find an UDFA that is a special teams guy really more than anything.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think in todays NFL you need a durable back. a lot of college running backs who were successful in college are lightweights and can't take the heat in the pro game.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think in todays NFL you need a durable back. a lot of college running backs who were successful in college are lightweights and can't take the heat in the pro game.
I think that is why you see more teams using a 2 RB approach. There aren't too many guys who simply get 25 carries a game anymore, and it's not just because the NFL has moved to a passing league (though, that is a huge part of it), but because the shift in general with football has moved to lighter, faster guys - RB's just don't hold up like they used to because they are not built like that anymore. That means reducing wear and tear on guys by platoon.