• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals draft Jackson Carman #46 overall

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT out of Clemson. Had a 4th round grade by most pundits. College LT that we’ll play at guard.

God bless Mike Brown and Duke Tobin. Reach on project and teach him to play a new position. At the maybe the biggest and most scrutinized positional need in franchise history.

Never change guys.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT out of Clemson. Had a 4th round grade by most pundits. College LT that we’ll play at guard.

God bless Mike Brown and Duke Tobin. Reach on project and teach him to play a new position. At the maybe the biggest and most scrutinized positional need in franchise history.

Never change guys.
FWIW PFF had him #49 on their big board, and Big Willie has apparently worked with him and gave an approval.

I really think the goal was to find an interior guy that could swing to OT if needed. Switch him and Ossi, and it works anyway.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was just "their guy"

at that point, it wasn't so much about taking the best player available, it was about building for the future, establishing a new core player who wasn't interested in leaving at the end of his contract.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never change guys.
Yeah.... I keep reading conflicting things, but the approach does have me worried. There is something f'd up about the Bengals insistence that he was "their guy." Their confidence about what will and will not work for them on the line is hilarious given recent history with draft picks. Maybe they should have just went with the safe consensus and gone from there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he got drafted by the NFL, that's a success for most players.
And, oddly enough, the dude has dreamed of playing for his hometown team.

I mean...regardless of if he pans out, or not, to this point, the kid's path has been pretty damned good.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little surprised when he first announced he's going pro because how he struggled against quicker edge rushers but if the plan is to move Carman to the inside then you getting a guy who likes to hit people in the run game, has decent mobility to make good blocks in the 2nd level and can anchor down and handle bull rush pretty well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little surprised when he first announced he's going pro because how he struggled against quicker edge rushers but if the plan is to move Carman to the inside then you getting a guy who likes to hit people in the run game, has decent mobility to make good blocks in the 2nd level and can anchor down and handle bull rush pretty well.

Agreed. I think there is valid concern if he were expected to start competing for an OT spot because of his struggles against higher-end pure rushers. At OG this is mitigated, and suddenly his size and strength become even more of a positive. If he were just a high-end OG coming into the draft, I think there wouldn't be as much concern - I also think many people over-thought the Bengals approach to the OL thinking they were going to go OT when they had said multiple times they were happy with Williams and the signing of Reiff (who I expect to get an extension if he shows his move to RT pans out, which I think it does).

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - going to Clemson and winning National Titles seems like it was a bad move...
I wonder how the forbidden apple tastes now that Mike Brown is telling him he might earn an extra can of peas if he plays well this year

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next generation of ownership has quietly taken over. Mike Brown is 86 years old, and like most grandpas, he can run his mouth, but eventually everyone knows he's going to go back to sleep.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those guys believe they got a first round talent with him, although Frank Pollack seems to be more realistic about the learning curve to come.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
might have just proved myself wrong, actually.

what you guys think?
I think the part about Mike was a bit of a throw-in. The base of the article really focuses on Alexander and the process of learning about Carman and why they came away impressed with him.

FWIW - Willie Anderson has also worked with him and gave a recommendation for Carman and said he would be able to make the transition to OG. I think it's to be expected to have a learning curve, but lining him up at RG next to Reiff is going to be great as that pits him next to a guy that will help bring him along and communicate well with him.

On the flip side, having the two veterans at LG will, hopefully, do the same for Williams at LT. So much about OL is communication - and I think that's really a huge part that was lost when Whit left and the OG left (can't remember his name). Those guys were more than just great players, but they helped to elevate those around them with their communication as well as their play.

But I do think we've seen a bit of a shift here in the organization over the last 2 years, specifically with the spending on defense last year, and even more spending on defense and getting Reiff in here this year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the part about Mike was a bit of a throw-in. The base of the article really focuses on Alexander and the process of learning about Carman and why they came away impressed with him.

FWIW - Willie Anderson has also worked with him and gave a recommendation for Carman and said he would be able to make the transition to OG. I think it's to be expected to have a learning curve, but lining him up at RG next to Reiff is going to be great as that pits him next to a guy that will help bring him along and communicate well with him.

On the flip side, having the two veterans at LG will, hopefully, do the same for Williams at LT. So much about OL is communication - and I think that's really a huge part that was lost when Whit left and the OG left (can't remember his name). Those guys were more than just great players, but they helped to elevate those around them with their communication as well as their play.

But I do think we've seen a bit of a shift here in the organization over the last 2 years, specifically with the spending on defense last year, and even more spending on defense and getting Reiff in here this year.
Zeitler? Who just signed a 3 year deal with the Ravens for 7 mill a year. I think we should have been in on that also. But I digress. Hopefully everything comes together like they planned.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen guys, if Paul Alexander and Mike Brown are good with the guy, who am I to argue?

To be fair.... That's not fair. The Bengals have had some great successes to go with some of their great failures along the line. Paul Alexander was the line coach that helped develop Willie Anderson and Andrew Whitworth. He had rookie starters that were terrific in Steinbach and Zeitler. And he also developed Levi Jones who a lot of people questioned when we first picked him. He may of lost his fastball at some point, but he had a pretty decent run coaching tackles in this league - He never really did get Center figure out during his time here.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen guys, if Paul Alexander and Mike Brown are good with the guy, who am I to argue?

To be fair.... That's not fair. The Bengals have had some great successes to go with some of their great failures along the line. Paul Alexander was the line coach that helped develop Willie Anderson and Andrew Whitworth. He had rookie starters that were terrific in Steinbach and Zeitler. And he also developed Levi Jones who a lot of people questioned when we first picked him. He may of lost his fastball at some point, but he had a pretty decent run coaching tackles in this league - He never really did get Center figure out during his time here.
Funny and overall true. Just gotta have faith until they force us to lose it.