• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Beltre?

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you guys think about picking him up?

He'd be a good signing, in my opinion, if we can afford him.

if Pablo loses weight, play Beltre at third, Pablo at first, Huff in the outfield. If pablo doesnt then Beltre at third, Huff at first.

opinions?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you guys think about picking him up?

He'd be a good signing, in my opinion, if we can afford him.

if Pablo loses weight, play Beltre at third, Pablo at first, Huff in the outfield. If pablo doesnt then Beltre at third, Huff at first.

opinions?

He seems to be too much of a contract chaser to me. Also, he was in a much better lineup and a much better ballpark to achieve his numbers last year. Seems risky to me. If he'd take a 1 year deal I wouldn't be as against it.....if he wants a multi-year deal he can take a hike.

BTW, that was awesome about Back to the Future. I don't remember that line at all.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is true. i wouldnt be against a 1-2 year deal. i heard on MLB network he wants 6. so yeah, not liking that idea. a point they also made on MLB is his good seasons are always during his last year on the contract. that does scare me about him.

and yeah, i may run out and rent it, jus to hear that part. i wouldnt have noticed it if my teacher hadnt pointed it out.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed a long contract with Seattle and blew chunks for almost the entire length, so yea... No.

I would have no prob with a 1 year contract, but that is not going to happen. He turned down a 1 yr, 10.5 option with Boston, IIRC.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed a long contract with Seattle and blew chunks for almost the entire length, so yea... No.

I would have no prob with a 1 year contract, but that is not going to happen. He turned down a 1 yr, 10.5 option with Boston, IIRC.

I think the option for 2011 was a player option at $5M; he'd have been stupid to exercise it.

He's 32, projects out to an 812 OPS and had an 11.8 UZR last year. He's worth $10MM, but not for more than two years. He'll get more years from somebody, maybe the Sox.

I'd take him for two years, but he won't sign for that short a time -- he's not a "gotta get me a ring" type player, he's a "maximize my cash" type player. Thus, he'll get 4/40 from someone. It won't be Sabean.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the option for 2011 was a player option at $5M; he'd have been stupid to exercise it.

He's 32, projects out to an 812 OPS and had an 11.8 UZR last year. He's worth $10MM, but not for more than two years. He'll get more years from somebody, maybe the Sox.

I'd take him for two years, but he won't sign for that short a time -- he's not a "gotta get me a ring" type player, he's a "maximize my cash" type player. Thus, he'll get 4/40 from someone. It won't be Sabean.

According to mlbtraderumors.com, it was a $10 mil option. I thought it was a dumb move for him not to take it. I can understand wanting the security of more years, but if he puts up another year like this one, next year, someone would give him a pretty handsome last big contract of his career. We'll see. As cal noted, he has a history of signing big contracts and dogging until the last year (hence declining the one-year option). Thus making him a major doosh.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/beltre-declines-player-option-hits-free-agency.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, there's no doubt that Beltre is a plus, plus defender at 3rd. I'd say only Zimmerman and Rolen are better at the hot corner.

On the downside, he couldn't hit very well in Seattle's pitcher's park and I wouldn't expect him to hit well at AT&T.

I'm with Tzill. He's going to ask for too much, plus he's got Evil(Scott Boras) as his agent. Pass. I'd rather stick with Pablo for 400K and see if he rebounds.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to mlbtraderumors.com, it was a $10 mil option. I thought it was a dumb move for him not to take it. I can understand wanting the security of more years, but if he puts up another year like this one, next year, someone would give him a pretty handsome last big contract of his career. We'll see. As cal noted, he has a history of signing big contracts and dogging until the last year (hence declining the one-year option). Thus making him a major doosh.

Beltre Declines Player Option, Hits Free Agency: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Adrian Beltre 3b
1 year/$10M (2010), plus 2011 player option

* 1 year/$10M (2010), plus 2011 player option
o signed by Boston as a free agent 1/5/10
o 10:$9M, 11:$5M player option
o $1M buyout for 2011 option if Beltre has 575 PAs in 2010
o 2011 option increases to $10M with 640 PAs in 2010

Oddly, Beltre had 641 PAs last year...I thought he had less. Thanks for the correction.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're alright, tzill. Honest mistake. Beltre is the only asshole in this discussion. :).