• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bell Back In Pittsburgh

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious about the folks here who say that want Bell back to help the Steelers or their fantasy team. Do you actually believe that he will contribute rt away given that he had no training camp, no games nor any practice?

Do you just think that a player can show up & be effective rt away? If not - how long do you believe it will take for him to be effective? Could be quite a while.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are professionals. They will work it out.

I agree... but one play of the o-line reminding Bell that they are at least partially responsible for his success is probably part of that “working it out” process

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
florio was talking last week that they have agreed if bell stays away this year they will let him walk this offseason. who the hell knows though.
If that's the case, then why come to Pittsburgh at all then? He should have stayed in Miami if that was the case.

He's going to report next week.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree... but one play of the o-line reminding Bell that they are at least partially responsible for his success is probably part of that “working it out” process
Week 11 against JAX would be a perfect game to do that in. Let Calais Campbell, Malik Jackon, Marcell Dareus & Yannick Ngakoue have a free pass on the first snap that Bell takes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do ............

For fantasy of course .......
Can't believe you're still holdin onto that hope. Pretty much a black hole on your bench.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, but teams are always an injury away from starting someone they don't want to. Be it at RB, QB, or WR, etc....

Yeah, but rarely do you have this kind of talent as a backup.

The reality is if he does report they're not going to lock the doors on him...trade deadline has passed, they're required to pay him so it makes sense to carry him on the roster even though I do understand the point of view that says fuck Bell.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of reports, that bell
Isn’t coming this year
IMO its nothing but media fueled drama... Don't believe it.

Do you really think that Bell's agent wasn't aware of how the CBA worked in his client's favor until just now? He's had almost half a year since the tag was placed. There shouldn't be any "new info" that suddenly became apparent to him & his agent. That would be laughably bad if they didn't know about it until now.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe you're still holdin onto that hope. Pretty much a black hole on your bench.

Well I did cut him last week and nobody in the league noticed, so he's still sitting there, was hoping for a quick pick up, he comes back and goes off...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you really think that Bell's agent wasn't aware of how the CBA worked in his client's favor until just now? He's had almost half a year since the tag was placed. There shouldn't be any "new info" that suddenly became apparent to him & his agent. That would be laughably bad if they didn't know about it until now.

Yep...if there is something detail just discovered today I would be firing my agent. If he's in the Burg, and multiple reports indicate that he is...he came to report is my guess, but this is Bell we're talking about.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I did cut him last week and nobody in the league noticed, so he's still sitting there, was hoping for a quick pick up, he comes back and goes off...
Good luck on waiting for that to happen.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...if there is something detail just discovered today I would be firing my agent. If he's in the Burg, and multiple reports indicate that he is...he came to report is my guess, but this is Bell we're talking about.
Only way he doesn't report is if he gets cold feet. It would have nothing to do with "new info" that is being reported. People are acting like this is his first time 'round this block. Bell could probably have a bachelor's degree in how the CBA works after 2+ years of dealing with the franchise tag.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious about the folks here who say that want Bell back to help the Steelers or their fantasy team. Do you actually believe that he will contribute rt away given that he had no training camp, no games nor any practice?

Do you just think that a player can show up & be effective rt away? If not - how long do you believe it will take for him to be effective? Could be quite a while.

I'm not sure many Steeler fans want him back, but personally I think you play it out much like he's done. If he reports, they have to pay him so IMO (admittedly it's changed) you put him on the field.

I would say 2 weeks if he's in shape. But keep in mind...I think PIT has installed Connor as the starter so I think Bell is looking at 5-8 touches a game if this plays out with him getting a helmet on game day....he's not getting ready for a 25-30 touch workload.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but rarely do you have this kind of talent as a backup.

The reality is if he does report they're not going to lock the doors on him...trade deadline has passed, they're required to pay him so it makes sense to carry him on the roster even though I do understand the point of view that says fuck Bell.
Agreed, but I was only really referring to the "we are only an injury away from X starting". Yes, it's not often a team has a guy like Bell still in the wings, but there is zero guarantee that he'd return to full capacity even if Connor went down.

Having said that, I think there are a lot more issues involved than just him returning to play.

1st, how will the team respond. Yes, the are professionals, but this is uncharted territory for a hold-out. These guys really seem to feel Bell screwed them over, and lied to their faces. That isn't going to be easily forgotten. Whether anyone wants to admit it, or not, the offense may not readily accept Bell returning. How will things turn out if Bell feels he's not getting the same blocking as Connor got, or getting what he feels is needed to showcase his ability? To think he can just come in a plug and play would be a likely failure.

Secondly, he's not in football shape. He may be in shape, but he's not in 25-30 touches a game shape. That could take several weeks to gear up for, and he does have a bit of an injury history (I think, correct me if I am wrong), so it makes it even more precarious to ramp things up too fast. Assuming it could take 2-3 weeks to get him up to par, you are already leaning on your backup heavily. Not to mention....

Does he even WANT those touches. His whole thing has been about getting paid because of his usage rate. That isn't going to change unless Pitt is willing to offer him no more than 15-20 touches a game, and at that point...is it worth it? At this point it is makes zero sense for him to risk playing a single snap of football this year. He's already passed up nearly 9MM. If he's going to pass that up, it's best for him to simply sit a year out, and then hope to reenter the market with a full year of rest/healing and still relative upside. If he comes back, he risk major injury for, what....4MM? Then you can knock off a bunch of money in his next contract because he would be coming off major injury. If he held out this long, only to return and take the abuse of the last few weeks would negate everything he did leading up to this point.

I would say, at this point, he has no desire/intent to return to the Steelers going forward (meaning new contract) so why risk it all? He's all in for 2019, and his best option is to simply sit out the year, one way or the other.

It will be interesting to see what happens, no doubt.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way he doesn't report is if he gets cold feet. It would have nothing to do with "new info" that is being reported. People are acting like this is his first time 'round this block. Bell could probably have a bachelor's degree in how the CBA works after 2+ years of dealing with the franchise tag.

He's already put his FA status in some jeopardy by skipping this much of the season. If PIT determines there is enough demand out there...if they want to get 2019 compensation for Bell instead of 2020...they could tag him again and his 3rd tag 120% threshold could end up in court if the team thinks it's 120% of what they're paying him, and he thinks it should be 120% of the tag value.

At this point, he'd have to sign the tag and that would probably clear the way for a trade...now this is IF they want to get 2019 compensation. I'm hearing a transition tag is possible.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He’s stupid I believe that

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team isn't devoid of leaders. No reason to think Bell won't at least be held in check.

It's also really not catastrophizing either. They are literally one play away from disaster at RB (again, 2014 playoffs?) with a guy who has never seen this workload before
One play away from
Disaster at qb. One play away from
Disaster at corner. One play away from disaster at wr. One play away from disaster at de. I mean can play that game all day long

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but I was only really referring to the "we are only an injury away from X starting". Yes, it's not often a team has a guy like Bell still in the wings, but there is zero guarantee that he'd return to full capacity even if Connor went down.

Having said that, I think there are a lot more issues involved than just him returning to play.

1st, how will the team respond. Yes, the are professionals, but this is uncharted territory for a hold-out. These guys really seem to feel Bell screwed them over, and lied to their faces. That isn't going to be easily forgotten. Whether anyone wants to admit it, or not, the offense may not readily accept Bell returning. How will things turn out if Bell feels he's not getting the same blocking as Connor got, or getting what he feels is needed to showcase his ability? To think he can just come in a plug and play would be a likely failure.

Secondly, he's not in football shape. He may be in shape, but he's not in 25-30 touches a game shape. That could take several weeks to gear up for, and he does have a bit of an injury history (I think, correct me if I am wrong), so it makes it even more precarious to ramp things up too fast. Assuming it could take 2-3 weeks to get him up to par, you are already leaning on your backup heavily. Not to mention....

Does he even WANT those touches. His whole thing has been about getting paid because of his usage rate. That isn't going to change unless Pitt is willing to offer him no more than 15-20 touches a game, and at that point...is it worth it? At this point it is makes zero sense for him to risk playing a single snap of football this year. He's already passed up nearly 9MM. If he's going to pass that up, it's best for him to simply sit a year out, and then hope to reenter the market with a full year of rest/healing and still relative upside. If he comes back, he risk major injury for, what....4MM? Then you can knock off a bunch of money in his next contract because he would be coming off major injury. If he held out this long, only to return and take the abuse of the last few weeks would negate everything he did leading up to this point.

I would say, at this point, he has no desire/intent to return to the Steelers going forward (meaning new contract) so why risk it all? He's all in for 2019, and his best option is to simply sit out the year, one way or the other.

It will be interesting to see what happens, no doubt.

Good post.

Team...good point, no one really knows how that will go over. But, plenty of teams have had players on the team that other players didn't like. It's pro football, meaning it's a job, so just like our jobs, you put your beef aside and get the task done. I wouldn't be too worried about that.

In shape...agree, you don't walk off the street onto an NFL field and produce. If he's in shape at all, 2 weeks should be enough to get ready for games. I'd be looking at Bell as a back up...< 10 touches a game...If PIT were to chose him and be smart about it, Connor should continue to get the bulk of the work. I understand what you're saying about him protecting his health, etc...then stay home.

The problem with staying home...At this point sitting out the rest of the season is the best thing for Bell. The issue of what his 2018 FA value really was looms....$14.6 mil or roughly the roughly 6 mil he will collect from this point to week 17....If the Steelers think there is a market for Bell and decide they want 2019 compensation instead 2020 compensation, they could tag/trade Bell again if his 2018 value is what they paid him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One play away from
Disaster at corner. One play away from disaster at wr. One play away from disaster at de. I mean can play that game all day long

Yeah, that's a given, but what I think he's saying is those positions don't have a Bell type talent behind them that we're debating whether he should be on the roster or not.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One play away from
Do they have a player waiting in the wings at any of those positions to prevent said disaster?