• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears trade up for David Montgomery - RB

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gave up our 3rd and 5th this year and a 4th next year to move to nab Montgomery and a 6th round pick. Man, that's a lot to give up. Pace must have really liked this kid.

Montgomery is as big as Jordan Howard.
Montgomery doesn't run that fast, he clocked in at 4.6 in the 40.
Montgomery has great balance and is very shifty and a good pass catcher.

Doesn't really take much to upgrade over Jordan Howard nevertheless Montgomery is exactly that. I like the pick.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the point is in drafting this slow guy is. Nobody gets them all right but this one hurts because we lost a much better player.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the point is in drafting this slow guy is. Nobody gets them all right but this one hurts because we lost a much better player.

You'll be wrong again. Montgomery is the better back. He's much more balanced, will break more tackles and his greatest advantage is he can make guys miss alot more than Howard. Not to mention a much superior pass catcher. I think Montgomery will also play faster than Jordan ever did, Montgomery just looks quicker.

This is a clear upgrade.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montgomery's closest comp from many scouts: Kareem Hunt.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good back. Gave up a lot with a little to give, to get him, but hopefully he's a stud and worth it.

Unless Howard was some secret, unknown cancer in the locker room, moves like this make little sense to me. Reeks of Kevin White, except Howard never let on to be the obnoxious POS that Brandon Marshall did. It's an unnecessary lateral move. Waste of a pick, in a way.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good back. Gave up a lot with a little to give, to get him, but hopefully he's a stud and worth it.

Unless Howard was some secret, unknown cancer in the locker room, moves like this make little sense to me. Reeks of Kevin White, except Howard never let on to be the obnoxious POS that Brandon Marshall did. It's an unnecessary lateral move. Waste of a pick, in a way.
Except he will cost a lot lo less over the next 3-4 years. His measurables are similar to Howatds and is shiftier, a trait Nagy likes. Proof will be on the field.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everything you said in bold is absolutely wrong again. But keep trying. Effort is all that matters.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except he will cost a lot lo less over the next 3-4 years. His measurables are similar to Howatds and is shiftier, a trait Nagy likes. Proof will be on the field.

Yes, but THIS YEAR, he wouldn't have cost us anything. And the main point being, is that it was a pick that could've been used elsewhere, and if Montgomery is good, we will have to pay him in a couple years or move on again, anyway.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh

Heard good things about the kid but haven’t seen much tape let. Maybe he’s a better back than Howard but I think the trade is giving too much. The run game is not getting better unless we call better run plays. Howard wasn’t the biggest problem and it seems like we got things going on the ground later on in the season. I think we could have kept Howard for the year but what do I know. I’m going to just trust the process and what they’re doing.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but THIS YEAR, he wouldn't have cost us anything. And the main point being, is that it was a pick that could've been used elsewhere, and if Montgomery is good, we will have to pay him in a couple years or move on again, anyway.

Yeah lets keep the overrated Howard for another year and let him walk and we get nothing in return. Great plan dude.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh

Heard good things about the kid but haven’t seen much tape let. Maybe he’s a better back than Howard but I think the trade is giving too much. The run game is not getting better unless we call better run plays. Howard wasn’t the biggest problem and it seems like we got things going on the ground later on in the season. I think we could have kept Howard for the year but what do I know. I’m going to just trust the process and what they’re doing.

Except one problem. Howard isn't very good. Stupid fans are always blinded by stats.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah lets keep the overrated Howard for another year and let him walk and we get nothing in return. Great plan dude.

Oh fuck ya, that 6th round pick next year is gonna put us over the top.

God, yer fucking dumb.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess, Montgomery fits the system better. Or at least should. If he does, then great pick. To note, a RB was picked two picks later. Sounds like Pace did right if he feels this RB is the real deal.

Edit: it isn't that Howard is average or bad, I believe him to be very good, it is a system fit issue. Nagy needs his shifty backs.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh fuck ya, that 6th round pick next year is gonna put us over the top.

God, yer fucking dumb.

Could be a 5th if he's half as good as you've been claiming. Still better than nothing at all. But keep the good fight going. Howard is stud (rolls eyes) and you should never stop waving that flag you dummy.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dumb dumb beardown doesn't like to look beyond this year. He's only able to process 1 at a time.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess, Montgomery fits the system better. Or at least should. If he does, then great pick. To note, a RB was picked two picks later. Sounds like Pace did right if he feels this RB is the real deal.

Edit: it isn't that Howard is average or bad, I believe him to be very good, it is a system fit issue. Nagy needs his shifty backs.

"Fits the system better" is code for Montgomery is a better overall back.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked what I saw of Montgomery in college. Guess we'll see. I akways wonder about these back they say "Aren't pass catchers" as it really isn't THAT difficult a skill... Heck, I heard the same about ADP but when I actually SEE the ball thrown his way he seems to do just fine...

So is it that the RB can't catch, or that the offense didn't/doesn't ASK the RB to catch?