• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears sign Ted Ginn for a year

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it. Not that we don't need receiver talent but i thought we drafted Mooney cause we were high on him and he adds the same straight-line-speed aspect that Ginn would.

Just Pace hedging his bets here or what? Gotta admit i'm a little puzzled by this signing.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it. Not that we don't need receiver talent but i thought we drafted Mooney cause we were high on him and he adds the same straight-line-speed aspect that Ginn would.

Just Pace hedging his bets here or what? Gotta admit i'm a little puzzled by this signing.
Puzzled but pleased. I doubt he still carries that 40 combine time from yesteryear, but he brings much needed experience, plus he still has that zip and good hands as well, the latter quality of which is a bit of a drawback with Mooney.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because our GM/Coach are concerned that lack of experience will hurt them in a season where they could get themselves fired if the Bears don't "show up."

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keep in mind. We also once signed Victor Cruz and he didn't even make the team.

There's some meaningful signings post-draft but it is also "fill-in your camp roster" time. My assumption is that we paid him very little and that he will compete for a roster spot.

I actually think the John Jenkins signing is more impactful than this. It's just that the name "Ted Ginn" carries some weight so it's a bigger story.

Now, if we needed a punt returner, he might have a spot. Alas, that is one thing we can all agree Tarik Cohen to be good at.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I was surprised, but this is a no-brainer signing. Ginn brings not only great speed and solid hands, but also tons of experience, both regular & postseasons, including two SBs. He immediately steps in as either the #2 or #3 WR, depending on how they use Miller (I'm guessing 3rd)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind. We also once signed Victor Cruz and he didn't even make the team.
Cruz seemed to only go thru the motions in the short time he was on the squad. I think mentally he was already thinking post career. Ginn still plays with a lot of heart and again, I love that postseason experience he brings to the table.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz seemed to only go thru the motions in the short time he was on the squad. I think mentally he was already thinking post career. Ginn still plays with a lot of heart and again, I love that postseason experience he brings to the table.

Oh, yeah. I mean, the only reason I'm comparing the two is because people are saying "I'm confused". I'm just pointing out that, at this point, you're filling in your roster and not every signing is necessarily going to have role.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yeah. I mean, the only reason I'm comparing the two is because people are saying "I'm confused". I'm just pointing out that, at this point, you're filling in your roster and not every signing is necessarily going to have role.
On this we agree 100%. And truth be told, if we carried a more talented and experienced set of receivers, I could even see the Bears passing on Ginn. But sadly we don't. I don't expect Ginn to come in and dominate, but I do see him making a sizable contribution to our offensive output.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this we agree 100%. And truth be told, if we carried a more talented and experienced set of receivers, I could even see the Bears passing on Ginn. But sadly we don't. I don't expect Ginn to come in and dominate, but I do see him making a sizable contribution to our offensive output.

I just wonder what his path is to making the roster.

We know Robinson is #1 and Miller is our slot. Ginn is not a starting as our #2 opposite of Robinson, at this point. That's probably Reid with an outside shot of being Wims. He's not taking Patterson's spot. Patterson is an all-pro kick returner (even in his prime, Ginn was better at punt returning and straight up hasn't done anything return wise for a few years). We just drafted Mooney, so he's all but in there.

I suppose we could give up on Wims. That's his best shot. That we carry 6 and he beats out Wims, IMO. However, when push comes to shove... roster spots go to the young guy.

Obviously, injuries happen as well.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wonder what his path is to making the roster.

We know Robinson is #1 and Miller is our slot. Ginn is not a starting as our #2 opposite of Robinson, at this point. That's probably Reid with an outside shot of being Wims. He's not taking Patterson's spot. Patterson is an all-pro kick returner (even in his prime, Ginn was better at punt returning and straight up hasn't done anything return wise for a few years). We just drafted Mooney, so he's all but in there.

I suppose we could give up on Wims. That's his best shot. That we carry 6 and he beats out Wims, IMO. However, when push comes to shove... roster spots go to the young guy.

Obviously, injuries happen as well.

There are a number of different possibilities and outcomes resulting from Ginn's signing.
1. Like Cruz when we signed him, Ginn too never makes the roster
2. We cut Wims
3. We cut Ridley
4. We cut Patterson
5. Mooney never makes the roster or gets placed on the practice squad
Or.....
6. Here's a way everyone can have their cake and eat it too. Officially list Patterson as a RB. He's already pretty much been one from the day we signed him and it seemed as last season wore on he appeared to play in the backfield as much, if not more than on the line. I mean in the big pic it really doesn't matter. Whether Patterson shows as a RB or WR, all that means is we technically carry one extra receiver/one less RB. His function would remain the same.

I have to agree tho, if we take one of the 'cut' options, Wims seems the most likely candidate.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a number of different possibilities and outcomes resulting from Ginn's signing.
1. Like Cruz when we signed him, Ginn too never makes the roster
2. We cut Wims
3. We cut Ridley
4. We cut Patterson
5. Mooney never makes the roster or gets placed on the practice squad
Or.....
6. Here's a way everyone can have their cake and eat it too. Officially list Patterson as a RB. He's already pretty much been one from the day we signed him and it seemed as last season wore on he appeared to play in the backfield as much, if not more than on the line. I mean in the big pic it really doesn't matter. Whether Patterson shows as a RB or WR, all that means is we technically carry one extra receiver/one less RB. His function would remain the same.

I have to agree tho, if we take one of the 'cut' options, Wims seems the most likely candidate.

I meant to say "Ridley" not "Reid". I don't know what the hell that was about. lol

Yeah, I honest think Patterson is better off as our 3rd RB. He's legit been a phenomenal rusher in his career. I think he has the highest YPC LITERALLY EVER for any NFL player to rush 100+ times (7.6 YPC). Obviously he can catch a bit, line up all over, etc.

I know Nall is a fan-favorite type because of his throwback style but... let's be honest. That ceiling is very limited and he is likely headed nowhere of any note.

My thing with Ginn, like Cruz, too. Is that if he can't win the job opposite Robinson, I struggle to see a spot for him. As he's not playing on any coverage SPT's units. Where as the other, younger guys do that.

It's just coming back to me that is why we released him when he was probably the 4th-ish best WR on the roster.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Nall is a fan-favorite type because of his throwback style but... let's be honest. That ceiling is very limited and he is likely headed nowhere of any note.

My thing with Ginn, like Cruz, too. Is that if he can't win the job opposite Robinson, I struggle to see a spot for him. As he's not playing on any coverage SPT's units. Where as the other, younger guys do that.

It's just coming back to me that is why we released him when he was probably the 4th-ish best WR on the roster.

Count me as one of the Nall fans, but in all honesty, it appears that he's destined to be known as a preseason star. His best shot at making the team is if we take him as a FB, which I think is a bit of a longshot.

As for Ginn, there's probably a decent to excellent chance that he makes it as the #2 receiver, or at least as the starter opposite ARob when Miller is manning the slot. His only real competition is Ridley, who lacks the experience and wheels. If Pace is truly 'all in' this year, which many have stated numerous times, then Ginn should get the first crack at lining up opposite of ARob.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me as one of the Nall fans, but in all honesty, it appears that he's destined to be known as a preseason star. His best shot at making the team is if we take him as a FB, which I think is a bit of a longshot.

As for Ginn, there's probably a decent to excellent chance that he makes it as the #2 receiver, or at least as the starter opposite ARob when Miller is manning the slot. His only real competition is Ridley, who lacks the experience and wheels. If Pace is truly 'all in' this year, which many have stated numerous times, then Ginn should get the first crack at lining up opposite of ARob.

Every young receiver lacks experience until he has it. I don't view Ginn as an "all-in" signing. If so, that's kind of sad on Pace's part.

New Orleans is in need of WR depth (much less a starter) and said "so long" without much of a thought.

I expect competition and a rotation until someone steps up to earn a full-time allotment of snaps. I believe that will go on into the regular season until/if that guy emerges.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson wouldn't be a good choice as the 3rd running back. Carrying him as a 4th would be fine though. If Montgomery goes down then you're not going to rely on Patterson to carry the load there, also not Cohen either. Nall might not be great but he can easily handle 20 carries without breaking down and punishing the defense a little bit along the way.

I think it's a lock we carry 4 tight ends and 6 receivers and Patterson being able to play a little RB here and there.

RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Nall
TE: Kmet, Graham, Harris, Holtz (because he can play FB)
WR: Robinson, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Mooney, Patterson

That's why i was initially puzzled by the Ginn pickup. Who gets jettisoned for him?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson wouldn't be a good choice as the 3rd running back. Carrying him as a 4th would be fine though. If Montgomery goes down then you're not going to rely on Patterson to carry the load there, also not Cohen either. Nall might not be great but he can easily handle 20 carries without breaking down and punishing the defense a little bit along the way.

I think it's a lock we carry 4 tight ends and 6 receivers and Patterson being able to play a little RB here and there.

RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Nall
TE: Kmet, Graham, Harris, Holtz (because he can play FB)
WR: Robinson, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Mooney, Patterson

That's why i was initially puzzled by the Ginn pickup. Who gets jettisoned for him?
Nall.